-7

I personally believe that gender reassignment surgeries and hormone replacement therapy should be included in the health care treatments of every health insurer. Being transgender is not a mental ilness. Transition related procedures should be seen as life-saving and necessary.

ThisLadyIsDangerouss avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
5 43

Why do those who want to change their sex, always think someone else should pay for it? Then after times, some want the surgery reversed and want us to pay for that as well. If a person wants it done, get a job, save your money and pay for it yourself.

Many trans people would rather die than stay their assigned gender and no amount of brainwashing can change that

@ThisLadyIsDangerous Thank you, Janet, finally someone who gets it.

The only person who is an expert on your own gender is yourself. Many people can't or choose not to understand how true this statement is

@TomboyJanet The only person who is an expert on your own gender is yourself. Many people can't or choose not to understand how...

I ignore the bigots. No need to waste your breath on people with attitudes that ridiculous that they can't respect how someone else identifies :-*

While I support the right for any consenting adult to live how they want to live, and I support equal rights for everyone, I don't see gender re-assignment surgery as "life-saving and necessary."
I also don't believe parents should be allowed to have their children, especially toddlers operated on, and/or put on puberty blockers. It should be a decision made by the person themselves, once they reach 18. Once they're at the age of consent, and once it becomes their choice and not the choice of the parents, they can live any way they choose to live, and I will support them.

I've had very little exposure to transgender people, so I can't say that I understand them. I don't remember ever deciding to be heterosexual. I assume they don't choose to identify with the gender that their body is not. So while I can't completely sympathize with a transgender person's desire/need to undergo reassignment surgery, I feel I can easily understand how important such a surgery would be to that person.

Does it ever end??????

Like you said WANTING to be transgender is not a mental illness so why would it make since to be include in health care when it's not a health matter. I personally believe everyone is unique for a reason and should accept themselves the way they are.

Diamond11s avatar Diamond11 Disagree +1Reply

I was referring to the post when I replied, meaning it's not a necessity of life, it's a want/choice. I'm not not getting into that aspect of the subject. It's not something I understand so im not starting my opinion on it.

@Diamond11 I was referring to the post when I replied, meaning it's not a necessity of life, it's a want/choice. I'm not not...

Fine but there are enough scientific data to back up that it's a medical condition. A biological condition actually. Brains of one sex, body of the other sex. That causes distress. Doctor Swaab for example did enough neurosurgical analysis on dead trans people's brains to come to this conclusion. Our brains show structures of the sex we identify as.

But I understand if you don't want to dive deeper into this subject.

Although I think that sex change is a vital part for the well being of a trans person, procedures for gender reassignment are not " life saving " or " necessary" You can't treat them on the same level as AIDS, various forms of cancer or higly lethal infectious diseases. It's only meant to make you feel on the outside what you are on the inside.

Ya know what? I'm happy being a guy. So, I expect everyone to pay money to me for that decision.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick Ya know what? I'm happy being a guy. So, I expect everyone to pay money to me for that decision.

Yeah, it cant be needed or life saving especially if trans people are a very small minority

@Sunny_the_skeptic Yeah, it cant be needed or life saving especially if trans people are a very small minority

If the person is unclear as to whether he's a boy or a girl, I'm thinking the rest of his life is steep downhill grade from that point on.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick If the person is unclear as to whether he's a boy or a girl, I'm thinking the rest of his life is steep downhill...

I think its hypocritical of our host on this post to claim to be tolerant and open minded yet to impose her opinion on us and set such a barrage of downvotes just because we dont agree

@Budwick And that my friend is why our host on this post will quickly earn a reputation!

A little advice to our friend here, freedom of speech rules here not pc, we're not dictated by feelings and we fight fire with fire.

@Sunny_the_skeptic A little advice to our friend here, freedom of speech rules here not pc, we're not dictated by feelings and we...

Easy there Sunny. You gave a cogent response, the OP didn't agree. The OP may have a completely different view of the Up / Down Vote thing than you do. Like you said, we do freedom of speech here - even if we disagree with what you say. Getting all ruffled and taking a fighting posture doesn't really fit that mold.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply
@Budwick Easy there Sunny. You gave a cogent response, the OP didn't agree. The OP may have a completely different view of...

Sorry, gave off the wrong intention, i meant to say thatin case of actual rudeness, no feathers ruffled up here,didnt mean to come off harsh

If a person wants to have that surgery, that's up to them to pay for it themselves and not their insurance carrier. It's not a life or death situation. There are a lot of cosmetic surgeries that are NOT covered by insurance and this should be one of them.

@StarzAbove If a person wants to have that surgery, that's up to them to pay for it themselves and not their insurance...

In my country transgender-related surgeries are fortunately covered. So do many other enlightened countries like Canada for example.

@StarzAbove OK, then there shouldn't be a problem. I doubt it's covered here in America, but I could be wrong.

Many, many American employers cover it :)

Starbucks and Coca-Cola , Mac and Sephora only being a few of them who cover trans-related healthcare. ^^

covered only if you are in jail. then taxpayers are forced to pay for the whole thing - that is wrong, criminals should never get what they want.

I have a couple of close transgender friends and the way both described it to me was that they knew since their earliest memories that their physical gender wasn't the gender of who they felt inside. This wasn't something that they decided later in life, like you would getting braces etc, this was a major issue that affected their whole identify from childhood. To them it wasn't a choice and as an outsider, it's obvious that they completely identify with their gender.

@OzSurfer I have a couple of close transgender friends and the way both described it to me was that they knew since their...

Exactly. It starts in childhood. I transitioned at age 19 but the gender incongruence was already terrible in my childhood. I just didn't feel like a boy and when I went through male puberty I often felt very suicidal. I can only imagine how painful it must be for trans people who transition in their late 40s and 50s. Many will never be passable. I feel greatful for being passable and having a whole life as myself in front of me. Although I still feel bitter about not having transitioned pre-puberty. Transitioning post-puberty was a bit harder.

@ThisLadyIsDangerous Exactly. It starts in childhood. I transitioned at age 19 but the gender incongruence was already terrible in my...

I have had that explained to me by one friend who transitioned pre-puberty, she was so happy she was able to. You are still really fortunate to have transitioned early although I can't imagine how tough it was for you going through puberty. Glad you're doing better now but I'm sure it can't be easy.

Transsexualism IS a mental illness though. It is a defect of the mind that is the result of the very structure of the brain being in a state of disrepair. There is nothing life-threatening about "being in the wrong body," for there is nothing that is actually causing physical harm to your body. I would rather doctors spend more time, energy, and resources on treating cancer patients or any other indiviudals with conditions that are ACTUALLY life-threatening.

Live with what you got.

You're exactly right

Trishs avatar Trish Agree -1Reply

Definitely.

This.

Mashas avatar Masha Agree -1Reply