A simple perfume, a certain smell, can recall the most vivid memories. Things you don't want to be reminded of and things you would want to relive forever again. The nose is the most intelligent organ you have sometimes.

ThisLadyIsDangerouss avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
8 18

True. I remember the fragrance of my mother's perfume and my grandma's cooking .... wish I could catch a whiff of either today.

@JanHaskell True. I remember the fragrance of my mother's perfume and my grandma's cooking .... wish I could catch a whiff of...

Yeah, I have smells like that too that mean a lot to me and I can recall them very vividly when I close my eyes.

Nothing like the smell from the farm up the road when the farmer does muckspreading.Must be time for it soon.Am I weird for liking that smell?

@ThePrinceofWales Nothing like the smell from the farm up the road when the farmer does muckspreading.Must be time for it soon.Am I...

No, no Blewy! Not at all!
Seriously - I don't think that's weird at all. The smell of horse manure makes some people lose their lunch. Me on the other hand don't mind the smell, and in fact it reminds me of growing up and caring for the horses. All pleasant memories.

I'm almost afraid to ask what your pleasant memory of muckspreading might be.

Yup. When I smell the sea, I remember the place where I grew up. When I smell coconut, it reminds me of the beach/summer.

It can happen with bad memories too. I would do fine without those.

My farts are absolutely awful.

But they do remind people, that I exist.

I agree! Aromas, scents can send my mind reeling with memories. My wife's perfume, certain aromas from the kitchen, out door smells too! I love the smell of spring for example. Believe it or not the smell from my compost pile - it's a healthy compost pile so there is nothing yucky going on in there - it has a smell of sweet, fresh earth.

@Budwick I agree! Aromas, scents can send my mind reeling with memories. My wife's perfume, certain aromas from the...

I love the smell of gasoline. I remember that as a child when my mom or dad went to the gas-station, there was this action where you could collect old coins, I got a new coin to add to my collection each time. I was over the moon from happiness. That's what the smell in the gas-station reminds me of. Waiting for a new coin to add to my collection.

@ThisLadyIsDangerous I love the smell of gasoline. I remember that as a child when my mom or dad went to the gas-station, there was this...

Your mind made that connection a long time ago and you get to enjoy the sensation over and over - even today! I hope that it stays with you your whole life.

One of mine is Polish Sausage. My grandmother used to make it, she let me help. To this day the aroma of fresh Polish sausage brings those special memories to mind.

@Budwick Your mind made that connection a long time ago and you get to enjoy the sensation over and over - even today! I...

Going to the make-up store to buy my mom her favorite perfume is also one of those powerful memories. I saved so long for a big bottle of that expensive perfume and then each year around mother day the glow in my moms eyes when opening it was so wonderful. I felt so happy when seeing that glow in my mom's eyes.