ThisLadyIsDangerouss avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
2 9

I have a niece who survived breast cancer for 20 years, but she now has lung cancer....just hope she can beat this too.

@StarzAbove I have a niece who survived breast cancer for 20 years, but she now has lung cancer....just hope she can beat this too.

But I mean, can you heal from a cancer that has spread itself, ever? Does a stage IV cancer always mean you will die from it or is it in some cases possible to heal from a cancer in an advanced stage?

@StarzAbove With today's advanced medicine, I think it might be possible, but not probable.

It would probably also depend on the cancer, right?

I mean, my grandmother died from lungcancer, small cell form, very agressive, in stage IV. Someone who has for example breast cancer stage IV and not agressive would probably have more chance to survive it than someone who has for example an agressive liver cancer in an advanced stage, right?

Would age have anything to do with it?
I heard a few times that older people have more chance to survive a cancer than younger people because their cells divide slower, is that true?

@ThisLadyIsDangerous It would probably also depend on the cancer, right? I mean, my grandmother died from lungcancer, small cell form...

Yes, it would depend on the cancer....there are some cancers that are slow growing, others grow so fast nothing can be done for the person.

I think breast cancer is very deadly, it can spread quickly into the lymph nodes, but some have survived.

Age does have a lot to do with it.... an 80 year old man probably wouldn't make it very long and sometimes they won't even do surgery on the elderly, because of other health issues.

You're not experiencing any of this? I hope not. You're way too young to be faced with anything like this.

@StarzAbove Yes, it would depend on the cancer....there are some cancers that are slow growing, others grow so fast nothing can...

My grandmother died of small lung cancer and she was 58. It's a few years ago.

She had only one metastase in her brains.
We thought she would live years with it. They did everything they could. Surgery, radiotherapy, chemo and an experimental treatment but ultimately she died 11 months after diagnosis.

Ever since it has never been out of my mind anymore. I started reading a lot about it, .... learning about it.
Today I still want to understand it.
That's why I read a lot about it.

@ThisLadyIsDangerous My grandmother died of small lung cancer and she was 58. It's a few years ago. She had only one metastase in her...

I'm so sorry for your loss....that's way too young.

I guess we'll never understand why some people can beat a cancer and others die quickly after being diagnosed.

I applaud you for wanting to learn more about it, take care of yourself, do the exams, etc....

Ask a dr not this bunch of fools.

Anonymous