Can estrogen on it's own keep a body functioning well or does everyone NEED both sex hormones? There seam to be varying opinions on this. Personally I don't think I need testosterone. My testosterone levels have been immeasurably low since 2 years and I feel like my high estrogen levels compensate more than enough for it. Is it something that varies from person to person or do all people need both sex hormones in their bodies?

ThisLadyIsDangerouss avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
2 20

We need both of them.

Too much testosterone in males usually means balding. Too much estrogen in females usually leads to other, more serious health problems. It's a finely tuned balance, perhaps 10 % off can be rather concerning.

@ZonkeyBalls We need both of them. Too much testosterone in males usually means balding. Too much estrogen in females usually...

Thing is I feel fine and my bone density is healthy ( I had a scan ) . For the last two years I have been on high dose estrogen and my testosterone is immeasurably low and I don't have side effects. While I know people who feel they need both.

The only thing that I experience is that I'm a little more often tired after heavy work. But nothing serious.

I even have libido which should not be possible with zero testosterone in my system I had been told. Yet my blood tests confirm it. Guess I'm an exception?

Baldness is caused by DHT ( a stronger form of testosterone ) not by testosterone itself. There is a med called Finasteride to prevent baldness or partly reverse / halt it.

So, wouldn't it be dependent from person to person if you need both sex hormones?

If you have your ovaries, they will convert your estrogen to testosterone, when needed.

@ThisLadyIsDangerous I don't have ovaries :P

Then it will have to be regulated by a doctor. Testosterone is very important, it helps with moods, strength, and endurance.

If you're talking about adding estrogen to your regiment, you should speak with a doctor first. There are some advantages to estrogen....but there are also some deadly disadvantages......

@StarzAbove If you're talking about adding estrogen to your regiment, you should speak with a doctor first. There are some...

I'm already on estrogen since two years.

What I meant is : if every person needs both testosterone and estrogen in their body.

I for example have only estrogen in my body, my testosterone is completely suppressed, and I feel fine.

Others who I know feel like they need both sex hormones to feel good.

So I was asking how other people felt about this personally : do you feel you need both or do you feel fine on only one?

By the way, if I weren't on estrogen, I couldn't have feminized, that's what Estradiol does :)

Risks are pretty low these days. Anticonception pills are still dangerous because they contain synthetic estrogen. I use bio-identical estrogen which is much safer.
Back in the day there was also Premarin, which is horse piss filled with horse hormones. They gave that to menopausal women and trans people. Now it's not commonly used anymore.

Sorry for my long post :)

You need both trust me dear

Balance...:))

not to be vulgar but do you regularly eat semen ? really a doctor should ask this