Tell me what it means to be: American, Canadian, British, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Finnish, whatever you are...

Image for post **Tell me what it means to be: American, Canadian, British, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Finnish, whatever you are...**
Sukiesnows avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
9 63

I am for myself, first. My country, Canada, second... After that I root for America...then Friesland...the country of my ancestors...

@Sunny_the_skeptic Firesland?

Friesland... Ick ben en echtje Friese.

@Sukiesnow Friesland... Ick ben en echtje Friese.

I have my good net now that Im home so I looked it up, northern part of Netherlands

@Sunny_the_skeptic I have my good net now that Im home so I looked it up, northern part of Netherlands

You learned something today! I usually say I'm Dutch...but that's like saying you are British when really you are Welsh.

@2633668

Ha. Don't they speak a different language? I was there and couldn't understand anyone.

@Sukiesnow Ha. Don't they speak a different language? I was there and couldn't understand anyone.

An elderly gentleman once started speaking to me in what I think was Scots-Gaelic in the town of St. Andrews. I said in English that I couldn't understand him. He didn't say anything in English, but just gave up and walked on.

@2633668

But you think of yourself as English rather than British (as you have said), JD.

So does the distinction go back to the ancient Anglo-Saxons and the Britons?

But what about Brittannia representing the whole UK?

@2634426

English is a language.

@2634426

But, but... up above, you said the Welsh are British.

http://www.amirite.com/813061-t...innish/2633668

So the difference is what you call yourself, vs what others call you?

@Sukiesnow You learned something today! I usually say I'm Dutch...but that's like saying you are British when really you are Welsh.

I just snuck into the middle of this conversation because you are talking about Dutch.

I read the novel "Hans Brinker" when I was a kid. Was that written about Friesland? Also, I liked the movie "A Bridge Too Far" about battles near Arnhem. Is that in Friesland?

@goblue1968 I just snuck into the middle of this conversation because you are talking about Dutch. I read the novel "Hans...

It does sound like Hans Brinker took place in Friesland.

Mom used to speak fondly about skating in the canals which took the place of fences...

Arnhem is in the Netherlands. Yes...it does say that also in Wikepida... Good movie.

I'm German by ancestry, more specifically Bavarian, more specifically middle Franconian, and tribally Celtic.

I like Dutch. It's a lot like German, except they spell it kinda funny. biggrin smilie

@Thinkerbell I'm German by ancestry, more specifically Bavarian, more specifically middle Franconian, and tribally Celtic. I...

I am NOT Dutch... I am Friese.

Is what you know a different language than German? Friese is a completely different language from Dutch.

Germanic languages are entertwined. When you can speak one...it's easier to learn others...

@Sukiesnow I am NOT Dutch... I am Friese. Is what you know a different language than German? Friese is a completely different...

Yes, I understood that, but when you wrote "Friesland... Ick ben en echtje Friese.", I thought it was Dutch. biggrin smilie

And the Franconian dialect is still German, even though it has words, pronunciations and sayings that may not be readily intelligible to other Germans. hehe smilie

@Thinkerbell Yes, I understood that, but when you wrote "Friesland... Ick ben en echtje Friese.", I thought it was Dutch...

Yes...my spelling might be somewhat Dutch in this case, it's so common...

Do you know...we had to go ALL the way to Friesland just to get a dictionary...

It's a longitude and latitude. If it's relatively secure and you can make a living for your family you stay and hopefully appreciate it. If not you try to find a more suitable place to live. I feel lucky to have been born and raised here in the USA, but it's not like I chose it from birth. I could have been born in Russia and if that's all I knew I might have been happy there too.

I am Welsh first-British second.I am patriotic where sport is concerned but otherwise I don't think being either means anything.

@2634428

Yes...but they are landlocked...their country IS Britain...what is it that makes them count themselves as British...second?

@2634507

Pardon...but I see no difference between English and British.

@2634541

So be clear about it.

What makes you English.

What makes you a moron British.

@2635284

I still don't get it... To me being British and English is the same thing. If you can think of another example i''d appreciate it.:)

@2635385

So...everyone born in Ireland, say...they will then say they are Irish but also British?

@2635400

I think I get it... Because your from England you are English. I am from Canada which makes me Canadian. Then England is also part of Great Britain. So that makes you also British. Canada stands alone...so I am simply Canadian.

But...the thing is...you never hear someone who is Irish also saying they are British. You NEVER EVER hear them saying that.

@2635518

But they hate the UK so much they won't say they are also BRITISH....?

No clue. Human? There's stereotypes about Portuguese - I fit some, I don't fit others, and I'm pretty sure that happens with everyone around the world.

@2631951

Oh hon... I know what you mean...it's like a rootless feeling that lacks any caring, concern or love. I don't know what it takes or how to apply that.

I see other people being different than me...and yet I don't know what to do to get where they are...or if I can even be bothered in doing so...

@2632025

Yes. Well, if you were born in some S Arabian country...would you be "simply you?"

Bulgarian? Aw thanks for mentioning Sukie, must be about me since i havent seen any other Bulgarian active here.

As for the question, i dont know how to answer. We're just a small green country famed for milk fermenting bacteria, bad quality roads, pink roses and corrupt politicians robbing us blind.

@Will_Janitor The last comment seems to be world wide. So that's something we all have in common. 😄

Our country is unique in that regard.
Every political party-buying and selling votes is a crime #each one ends up sending people to buy out the votes of poor uneducated gypsies# They say the country lacks money and then somehow the top ones have very fancy cars and houses.
Hypocrisy and deception, if you dont find a way to make money youre done for. Pensions for elders are laughable, they barely survive unless you have a place to give for rent or you have good children

So, who the hell is this Finnish person you mentioned? Vic?

@Thinkerbell Vic could NEVER qualify for being Finnish!

I like my sauna at 60 degrees, some of my friends put it up to 100 and that is the point, when you get out and drop on the snow, only to be at 100 C again. I mean, we take sauna and "snow showers" in terms.

@ZonkeyBalls I like my sauna at 60 degrees, some of my friends put it up to 100 and that is the point, when you get out and...

Some Finns run out of the hot sauna and dive into an ice-cold lake.

I once saw in a film of that, and a measurement of the systolic blood pressure going up to 300 mm Hg. wt smilie

@ZonkeyBalls It's a bit like killing yourself, but making your body work better at the same time.

Only if you survive the killing.

Sometimes it can be irreversible. swt smilie

And some Finnish girls are just as crazy.

It's just a preinstalled feature. I didn't choose to be a Cossack, Russian, or even human; yet, I can choose to accept and love myself for who I am in spite of that. I could've been conceived in a matrix other than a womb and born, say, a defenceless acorn that later grew a mighty oak! Perhaps I was in a past life, maybe not. I'll find out when that time comes. Lmao.hehe smilie

Being American is foremost being free to do and say anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt somebody else. And the specific liberties and freedoms are specifically written out very clearly in the United States Constitution Bill of Rights. That freedom was why my grandfather came here from Russia just before World War I started over there and started his family here.

Further to points above-Wales has coastline on three sides and what really annoys those of us who are not English is people referring to England when they mean Britain.But you have live here really to get all this.

Nothing. Your country shouldn't have your allegiance your moral code should.

If you don't know what it means to me....there's no need to explain it..

Either you get it, or you don't...wether you live here or not..