0

Paying people to protest is a threat to democracy and should be a serious crime. Amirite?

When people take to the streets, it should be because they really care, not because somebody paid them to be there. Paying people to protest is a reprehensible form of political manipulation and it should be illegal as hell. Amirite?

Protest Jobs - Professional Protesters for Hirehttp://protestjobs.com/Image for post Paying people to protest is a threat to democracy and should be a serious crime. Amirite?
Mazes avatar Politics
5 36

That's exactly how all the nonsense with those statues was started..

They pulled that crap here in New Orleans..
Most of the protestors were from out of state...

No one had any complaints about those statues, until bus loads of protestors got it started...

I agree...when someone is found to be a paid protestor..them and their employer...should do prison time..

Sounds much like being paid to vote. Protestors should have to register. Did those protestors in CVille have a permit or not. Everyone has their own answer to that question.

@2633398

I am not sure just how trustworthy NPR is
and I know that McAuliffe is not to believed in most things he says.
But, I do appreciate the link and the article. Thanks.

@2634051

Thanks Bozette, I've never heard of the Rutherford Institute but I will check on them.
I did get the ACLU involvement over the permits and was a bit surprised but I did not doubt what was being said. I am just a bit skeptical over who says what.
Fox is not the only channel I watch or the only source of information. I check on CNN and MSNBC on occasion just to see how they handle a story. Fox has been know to stretch or omit parts of the truth.
So, thanks again for the info.

@2634967

I remember you being on it over the Flint water situation. That was really a bad situation, kind of reminded me of Silkwood. Perhaps a movie of all the
crap they did to the people of Flint should be made but it is going on all over. NOLA is the last one I can think of right now.
Are there any honest representatives of the people, on any level?
Thanks again.

@2632902

I'm not sure. Is murder unconstitutional? I don't think it's covered in the constitution. Do you think making it illegal to pay protesters is unconstitutional?

@2633042

Being bussed in from out of state isn't proof by itself that someone is a paid agitator, but that is a lot of effort to go to for free, and it doesn't exactly scream grassroots activism, more like astroturf. The question is, who bussed them in, and for what purpose? If a foreign power, say Russia for example, did it, would that be acceptable? Or would it cross the line?

Like lobbyist?

@VicZinc Like lobbyist?

Whether you agree with lobbying or not, everyone knows a lobbyist is a lobbyist, there's no falsehood there. At the moment, people assume protesters are protesting because they care about an issue, not that they're being paid to do it. But things evolve. Before long, everyone will assume protesters are just paid agitators, and they will elicit nothing but contempt from the public regardless of whether they're genuine or not. I see the danger in what's going on, I'd like to say I'm surprised you don't, but frankly I'm not.

@Maze Whether you agree with lobbying or not, everyone knows a lobbyist is a lobbyist, there's no falsehood there. At the...

Maze, I don't not see the difference. You already assume many protesters are paid just as you assume most lobbyists are paid.

Where's the danger? Unless you also assume that all paid lobbyist "care about an issue" or that none of them do.

1) I am not at all convinced the number 'paid protester' is as large as some media outlets make it seem.

2) People can still care about an issue and accept payment for voicing your opinion on it (it is called honoraria). Everyone from Al Gore to David Duke accepts payment for their public speaking engagements - that doesn't mean they are not 'true believers' in what they are saying or doing.

Paid protestor (as many or as few as there actually are) are not crying wolf, they can and do actually support the cause, they just don't have the means to attend without the honorarium.

@VicZinc Maze, I don't not see the difference. You already assume many protesters are paid just as you assume most...

If the billionaire class can make a massive protest happen whenever they want, over whatever they want, THAT'S DANGEROUS. That sort of thing has been used elsewhere to foment revolutions.

I've spoken before about the concept of "full spectrum dominance," we know they own and control the media, if they can buy street protests, they can knit together a completely false narrative. In fact, they could be doing it RIGHT NOW. And what is the apparent object of the narrative? Race war - destabilization. And naturally YOU are defending it.

@Maze If the billionaire class can make a massive protest happen whenever they want, over whatever they want, THAT'S...

I am not defending it. I am saying that it is no worse than lobbyist. The billionaire class already owns congress they don't need to own mainstreet to advance their agenda.

As long as we allow governments officials to become paid lobbyist, as long as we allow elected officials to keep running without term limits, as long as we avoid campaign finance reform, as long as we continue to allow the conglomeration of media outlets - then I am far less worried about paid protestors...

Let me ask you this: If Bernie or Hillary gave you $100 would you join their rally? How about $1000? $10,000? Getting closer? How about $50,000?

I can tell you I would not march for white supremacy for $250,000; pro-Trump or $250,000? Maybe but I would not shout and I would not stand and fight. And I can tell you I would not wear a Trump hat in public even for $100,000.

My point is I don't think there are many people in this country that would compromise their core beliefs for $50 or $100 or even $500 dollars. I might be wrong but I seriously doubt you could pay the number of people that showed up in Charlottesville - people who didn't actually believe in what they were protesting for- you could not get then to go there, and act that way for only $25 or $50 ( as most source claim these protesters are being paid.)

They might go, but they aren't going to stay when it get violent.

@VicZinc I am not defending it. I am saying that it is no worse than lobbyist. The billionaire class already owns congress...

$5.00 got an O sign in the front yard on Highway 17
in NC during his campaign. The signage was too regulated to be opinions and that is what we were told when we asked the locals.
Some of these people love the violence and will jump
at the opportunity to rumble. They are dressed for violence.

Lobbyists don't beat people up and deface public property. I'm not a fan of lobbyists, but you know they're relatively innocuous by comparison or you wouldn't use them as way to justify paid protesters.

"Earn money being a shit disturber for social justice" - seems like a pretty easy sell for a certain segment of the population. But just because you can convince someone to protest for money doesn't mean they'd be out there if they weren't getting paid.

No. It is part of democracy.

@Sukiesnow No. It is part of democracy.

What is democratic about hiring protesters? If you have to pay people to protest, presumably they wouldn't be protesting otherwise. Isn't that a way for the rich to subvert democracy by manipulating public perception? Do a lot of people really care so much about an issue that they're taking to the streets, or did some rich cunt just hire a bunch of people to create that impression? I think it's super corrupt and dangerous. People talk about taking money out of politics, that's got to be the most egregious example of money controlling politics.

@Maze What is democratic about hiring protesters? If you have to pay people to protest, presumably they wouldn't be...

It is nasty... But it's part of the system, now. There are lots of things I don't like, too. I don't like the fact that when models advertise a product...chances are they've never used the product.

@Sukiesnow It is nasty... But it's part of the system, now. There are lots of things I don't like, too. I don't like the...

Well I don't think paid protesters should be allowed. Frankly it disgusts me. It makes mockery of grass roots political action. If it was up to me, it would be a very VERY serious crime, one of the most serious.

It's a lot more entertaining to go to them and ask them why are they protesting and stare at their stupid expression as they attempt to make futile efforts in figuring out what are they mad about.

@Maze There there.

If you really wanna see political brainwashing you should get a job at wal mart. Part of our training program is to mold us into anti union warriors.

@TomboyJanet If you really wanna see political brainwashing you should get a job at wal mart. Part of our training program is to...

And if you ever decide to protest, they'll just hire a bunch of "counter protesters" to throw bottles at you and beat you with sticks. It's a great system.

Anonymous