+6

I am so tired of hearing the "there are only two genders line" intersex people exist! That's like saying redheads don't exist amirite?

I am intersex and intersex people make up about. 7 percent of the population that's about how many red heads exist.

Willcoopers avatar Language
4 45
The voters have decided that Willcooper is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@2633023

Probably cause they have never heard of anything besides male or female

Willcoopers avatar Willcooper Yeah You Are +2Reply
@2633027

That seems a bit rough, I had never heard of the term until I had a nice conversation with the OP. I am not really one to live in a cavemen-esque bubble truth be told.

So, red-heads hate intersex people, I thought as much!!!

I'm joking, I'm joking.

乂^◡^乂

@2633116

Not necessarily. But since you ask here is a website to educate yourself if you wish to know more about intersex people.

http://www.isna.org/faq/what_is_intersex

Willcoopers avatar Willcooper Yeah You Are 0Reply
@2633125

What is your point exactly? That I don't exist?

@2633133

I am a natural part of life. You are basically claiming that just because I make up a small portion that im irrelevant. Im as statistically significant as the red head population.

@2633116

And its pretty offensive to imply im some sort of he-she. I a unique individual not a man or a woman. Two things can be combined and be more than the sum of their parts. Thats like saying that sodium chloride is just sodium with chloride. The bonds make it have entirety different properties.

@2633128

Stop making this about gender its about anatomy!

@2633137

Ok well even then there are more than two genders and there always has been.
http://disinfo.com/2013/03/thir...und-the-world/

@AliceD I thought that was being a hermaphrodite?

No scratch that, I just had a look at the link you supplied :)

AliceD hermaphrodite is a scientifically inaccurate term I can not reproduce with myself. Also that is a derogatory term

@Willcooper AliceD hermaphrodite is a scientifically inaccurate term I can not reproduce with myself. Also that is a derogatory term

Sorry, but who is it derogatory toward? It is a term for someone who fits a particular set of conditions. I don't see how that could be derogatory. Please let me know although? I have only just recently learned that Eskimo is a derogatory term as well. So I am less than well versed in the nuances of various labels :)

"Rather than trying to play a semantic game that never ends, we at ISNA take a pragmatic approach to the question of who counts as intersex. We work to build a world free of shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for anyone born with what someone believes to be non-standard sexual anatomy."

• OK, cool, so that is one definition from a seemingly invested crowd, I assume there are others as well?
@AliceD "Rather than trying to play a semantic game that never ends, we at ISNA take a pragmatic approach to the question...

What do you mean another definition? That's not a definition it's a stance or policy

Willcoopers avatar Willcooper Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Willcooper What do you mean another definition? That's not a definition it's a stance or policy

Ok. No worries, I can accept that. I am more interested in why hermaphrodite is a derogatory term? I mean, as far as I understand that would be just like saying, I dunno, "Redhead" is a derogatory term?

@AliceD Ok. No worries, I can accept that. I am more interested in why hermaphrodite is a derogatory term? I mean, as far...

Because it's from when they put people like me in freak shows. It's like the n word for intersex people. Its a cultural thing. Not holding it against you cause you didn't know but you know

@Willcooper Because it's from when they put people like me in freak shows. It's like the n word for intersex people. Its a...

OK, so what is the culturally correct term for a hermaphrodite? Although you are quite obviously not a hermaphrodite, so it could be argued that it is peoples ignorance of intersex people is where the problem resides.

Until about five minutes ago I had no idea what it meant.

@Willcooper Well im glad you learned something

Not really, I am still waiting for an answer?

@AliceD Not really, I am still waiting for an answer?

About what sorry I blocked someone so I might have missed your question

Oh and the culturally correct term is intersex

@Willcooper Oh and the culturally correct term is intersex

Hey look, I am terribly confused here, so please excuse my ignorance.

In the due course of the conversation I had read by way of the link that you had provided and by your own words that you are not a hermaphrodite, right.

From what I understand in a very limited capacity is that intersex people such as yourself do not, as a hermaphrodite does, have both sets of sexual organs, right?

So if I am unable to use the word hermaphrodite then how am I able to distinguish between a hermaphrodite and an intersex person?

@AliceD Hey look, I am terribly confused here, so please excuse my ignorance. In the due course of the conversation I had...

There has never been a true hermaphrodite human not a single case. Hope that helps clarify. Also hermaphrodite s have to have both sex organs functioning to be a real hermaphrodite

@Willcooper There has never been a true hermaphrodite human not a single case. Hope that helps clarify. Also hermaphrodite s...

Right, so I have had a bit of a google.

If you were born in say the 1930's you would have been referred to as a hermaphrodite, but, nowadays that word is taboo and so you are intersex?

Hopefully I have that right?

Its easier to pretend something doesn't exist than trying to comprehend or accept it. The sleezy way out

TomboyJanets avatar TomboyJanet Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'm a modern human being.

Anybody can be whatever she/her/it/that silly thing over your shoulder wants to be.

ZonkeyBallss avatar ZonkeyBalls Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Willcooper Intersex is what the body is no necessarily what you want to be.

Let me rephrase that, then.

I'm a modern human being.

AnyBODY can be whatever that silly thing over your shoulder wants to be.

@2633223

Silly goose