If someone took your child and sold them, where would you want us to erect the statue?

VicZincs avatar
6 46
@2633174

Interesting twist.

OH don't forget, a terrible action is justified when the majority stands behind it somehow it automatically becomes a good deed

You said 'erect'. Huh huh huh.

Right up the perpetrators ass, horizontally.

In the great pacific Garbage patch

@TomboyJanet In the great pacific Garbage patch

Oh no not more garbage in our poor rotting oceans. I understand you just want it far away. The Moon?

Isn't that what the tribes in Africa did? The stronger tribes dominated the weaker tribes and sold them to the Dutch slavers to transport all over the world?
Do they have those statues in Africa?

@VicZinc Nope

So then, just how did they get caught and put on the Dutch slave ships?

@ozzyboy So then, just how did they get caught and put on the Dutch slave ships?

My nope was for "Do they have those statues in Africa?"

They do not. They are all here in the land of Dixie.

@VicZinc My nope was for "Do they have those statues in Africa?" They do not. They are all here in the land of Dixie.

Africans enslaved their own people and sold them to the traders. Americans did not start slavery and you know blaming Americans for their part is not part of the whole picture. 600,000 lives were lost over this issue - all Americans and to keep fighting over it is
wasted energy. People should work together for a better America. It doesn't feel like equality is the goal but dominance as was laid out in the mission statement of one leftist group.

@ozzyboy Africans enslaved their own people and sold them to the traders. Americans did not start slavery and you know...

Ozzieboy I agree with you, Too bad the people who benefitted from the war are complaining and unwilling to let it go.

@VicZinc OK. But what does that have to do with statues?

All this anger over the statues while conveniently forgetting the whole pictures. The people couldn't have been enslaved if not for the cooperation and support of their own people.
It is disgusting to me that so many people died over this issue only for it to used against this country.
Would the people have been better off if left in Africa? William Raspberry actually had a column discussing that very issue. You might want to look it up.

@ozzyboy All this anger over the statues while conveniently forgetting the whole pictures. The people couldn't have been...

I don't think I do. And I think you keep avoiding the question. There are lots of other posts about who killed who, and what happened when, or why are people so bent out of shape; this isn't one of those posts, this is a question about where you would want the statue erected of the person who stole your baby. You can decide if that person was from Africa or Holland or if they were good or smart or whatever, then after you figure that all out, tell me where you want the statue.

@VicZinc I don't think I do. And I think you keep avoiding the question. There are lots of other posts about who killed...

I am not going to voice an opinion over whether the statues should have been put up or not, they were. Now you want history to be sanitized to the likings of some. I'd rather statues of Booker T or Geo Washington Carver or Rosa Parks be put up instead of pulling down historical figures.
Now the story is that MSESPN pulled an Asian sports announcer by the name of Robert Lee because of his name. Are you ok with that or taking down Mt. Rushmore?

@ozzyboy I am not going to voice an opinion over whether the statues should have been put up or not, they were. Now you want...

Ozzy we seem to be on two different plains here. This post is about the future, not the past.

I don't care about existing statues, I am asking about the one I will erect for the person who kidnaps your kid, where do you want it?

@VicZinc Ozzy we seem to be on two different plains here. This post is about the future, not the past. I don't care...

You are an instigator and I'm not in the mood to play your game. There are enough rabble rousers in the streets of our nation right now. I refer you back to William Raspberry and his column.

@ozzyboy Isn't that what the tribes in Africa did? The stronger tribes dominated the weaker tribes and sold them to the...

You are right, that is what they all forget. Probably why Africa is still in war against itself always. The weaker ones got caught and the stronger ones stayed to become meaner .

No. But on an unrelated note your post is really helping attract the kind of people I block and for that I thank you.

Over the shallow grave of the person who sold my child.

I'd whoop the ass of the fool who took my kid... with a statue. Can't do too much when your brain has been bashed in with a few hundred pounds of bronze.

Where ever my kid's captor is so I can get even and find my kid

@2634996

Just answer the question. Your back yard? Town square? Somewhere 'up north'?

@2634996

Some guy in a town near me hase a giant coke can in his front yard, tear that down too? I think not.

OK Vic, I'll play.

Put the statue someplace near where my child was taken. That way the people there can always remember the history of the event. [Well, at least until someone comes up with some bogus reason to tear the statue down - so that no one can remember what happened.

If you are statues based on to actions 160+ years ago, and placed 100+ you are judging that society by todays standards, which is wrong. My question is what are you doing to end slavery that still exists in parts of Africa, the Middle East and southern Asia? Will tearing down statues in the US end that slavery?

If you are going to destroy monuments that depict anyone who historically condoned slavery in any form, let' not forget those statues to the Spanish explorers such as Cortes, Ponce de Leon, Pizzaro, Balboa, Coronato, etc. as every one of them not only had slaves with them, but took slaves from those they conquered. And then let's make sure we destroy all monuments and name-sakes of those who were members of the KKK and/or supported segregation.

Would it not be better to add plaques explaining the person's good and bad acts and then let the beholder judge?

if you where a victim of slavery would you want people in the future to cover history so that it can be so easily repeated?

@Anonymousmouse if you where a victim of slavery would you want people in the future to cover history so that it can be so easily...

To you question. Why not have statues of escaped slaves instead? How about slave memorials? How about statues of the side that actually prevailed in the war?

Probably more effective in getting the message across than glorifying the leaders of the army that sought to perpetuate the practice.

@VicZinc To you question. Why not have statues of escaped slaves instead? How about slave memorials? How about statues of...

Not only did they seek to perpetuate the practice of slavery, they committed treason against their country. Why should that be justified? Glorified?

Vic We have a place near the Penobscot river that was a big escape rout for running slaves. They put up a park there that I drive by often. I haven't seen one person visiting it ever. They didn't put any parking there it is a very busy four corners of unrelenting traffic.

where was this mentality during Obama's reign????? you sure you want these statues gone because of what they stand for? or just because your having a hissy fit because you didn;t get your way in November 2016??