+7

Free speech rally draws a few dozen attendees, and a few thousand protesters. That's right, thousands of Americans just took to the streets, in effect protesting their own right to free speech, believing I suppose, that only Nazis believe in free speech...? Sh*t is getting weird.

Boston - Organizers of the speech rally had said they were appealing to “libertarians, conservatives, traditionalists, classical liberals, Trump supporters or anyone else who enjoys their right to free speech." "All of us here, in many ways, are true patriots because, in spite of that noise out there, we’re here to stand up for something very fundamental, which is called free speech,” Shiva Ayyadurai told the rallygoers. But thousands of others, fearing that the free speech event would be a platform for neo-Nazis and white nationalists, joined a robust counterprotest. “This city has a history of fighting back against oppression, whether it’s dumping tea in the harbor or a bunch of dudes standing around with bandannas screaming at neo-Nazis,” said a 21-year-old protester who identified himself only as “Frosty” and wore an American flag to obscure much of his face.

Protesters Flood Streets, and Trump Offers a Measure of PraiseThousands of demonstrators poured into the nation’s streets and parks on Saturday to denounce white supremacy and Nazism.https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/us/demonstration-race-free-speech-boston-charlottesville.html
Mazes avatar Jokes & Humour
4 58
@2634427

I just made reference to this comment, sir.
Well said.

Everyone there were expressing themselves with their right to free speech. It was just some spoke with more voices.

@Carla Everyone there were expressing themselves with their right to free speech. It was just some spoke with more voices.

The rally was in support of free speech, and thousands of people showed up to protest it. Both groups may have been exercising their right to free speech, but a few dozen were there to support that right while the vast majority were there to oppose them out of fear that somebody might say something they don't agree with.

@Maze The rally was in support of free speech, and thousands of people showed up to protest it. Both groups may have been...

If your speech is about the freedom to spew hate, bigotry and racism, i will try very hard to talk louder than you, too.

@Carla If your speech is about the freedom to spew hate, bigotry and racism, i will try very hard to talk louder than...

You win an argument through the strength of your ideas, not through the volume at which you speak them.

@Maze You win an argument through the strength of your ideas, not through the volume at which you speak them.

I think the numbers, and the passion expressed the strength of the ideas regarding hate and delusions of superiority.

@Carla I think the numbers, and the passion expressed the strength of the ideas regarding hate and delusions of superiority.

Isn't that "might makes right," essentially? If your ideas are so superior, why do you need to shout down those you disagree with? You should welcome their ability to go out and make fools of themselves in public by saying such stupid things. Why do you think the right doesn't show up to shut down leftist protests? Let them go and do a bunch of stupid shit and show everyone what a bunch of idiots they are. And this was simply a free speech rally, it didn't advocate for anything beyond that.

@2634599

I believe there were postings regarding members of nationlist groups coming and speaking.
I think most people (not antifa, they truly are an embarrassment, and hurtful) came as a reaction to last weekend.
Gut feelings toward murder by a homegrown, neo nazi terroristic attack should be expected.
There will be more of this until clear heads speak clearly.

@2634751

I just read it. And agree, wholeheartedly. And still, everyone in boston had the right to be there.
The cult of violence from all directions should be infiltrated, investigated and shut down.
And...what thibault said below.

@2634834

If a group is planning and perpretating violent acts, they should be shut down.
Like any other criminal organization. No entrapment, proper investigation.
Along with public scrutiny.

As far as this weekend is concerned, i feel certain that the group that was verbally overtaken, will have plenty of opportunities to state their views. If their view is freedom of speech, they encountered it in its full glory.

@2634888

30 or 40 thousand people. A very, very small percentage being antifa.
Always the squeaky wheel, though....

@2634897

He killed a woman, bo. Hurt others. There is no equating that to burning a confederate flag or poster.
And has nothing to do with freedom of any kind.

@2634929

Absolutely.
But please dont raise your words to me.
Peace, bo
I just have a difficult time wrapping my head around what MOST of those people stand for. And they definately came to frighten people.
Like you say they need shouted down. As do others that employ tactics that terrorize.

@2634981

I enjoy people who express themselves with their eyes, facial expression and hands. You can see the conviction in their beliefs. If...it is genuine.
Lets me know, please, when you are exasperated enough TO raise your voice. I will try to build a bridge.
I always enjoy your views, and you inspire me to look at things from all directions. I appreciate that.
You have a hell of a way with words.

@2634656

Hmm. I gave that a try, still no picture. I'm on a PC running Windows 10.

@2634676

Here's a screenshot... assuming it loads. lol

@Maze Here's a screenshot... assuming it loads. lol

And it didn't load either, I think I know what happened, it's my adblocker, I blocked an offensive image on here yesterday, that's probably what screwed things up.

Do you think those 'thousands' were paid?

Dictatorships like to limit free speech today is sjw who want a safe space aka silence anyone who doesnt kiss their ass, tolerant but intolerant,

Huh. "Free speech" needs guidelines? Who has a Free Speech rally anyway...

@Sukiesnow Huh. "Free speech" needs guidelines? Who has a Free Speech rally anyway...

Yeah really. Clearly anyone who's in favor of freedom is a fascist. That's just logic.

@Maze Yeah really. Clearly anyone who's in favor of freedom is a fascist. That's just logic.

Snippy today...huh. Free Speech is like body odour...it's best left taken for granted and unspoken about.

Example: that rally was pointless.

@Sukiesnow Snippy today...huh. Free Speech is like body odour...it's best left taken for granted and unspoken about. Example:...

If a rally is pointless, isn't attempting to silence it pointless too? If a few dozen people got together to have a demonstration in support of body odor, would there be any point in thousands of people going there to shut it down and silence them?

@Maze If a rally is pointless, isn't attempting to silence it pointless too? If a few dozen people got together to have a...

Yes...the protesting was laughable.

You rarely make a point in your Posts, and you rely heavily on links.

What is your point, exactly.

@Sukiesnow Yes...the protesting was laughable. You rarely make a point in your Posts, and you rely heavily on links. What is...

My point is they're duping people into opposing their own right to free speech by conflating the free speech rights of others with racism. It's really dangerous.

@Sukiesnow Duping whom?

Everyone they can, presumably.

@Maze Everyone they can, presumably.

Everyone in the rally...at least...24 people. Whoopi.

@Sukiesnow Everyone in the rally...at least...24 people. Whoopi.

Not them, they're in favor of free speech, the point is to dupe everyone else to oppose free speech by opposing them.

@Maze As many as possible.

Maybe a few people on Amirite but that's prolly about it. Good for you, tho.

@2635079

I'm great. What about you...tho?

What makes you say I'm confused? smile smilie

It seems that they want to end free speech because they think free speech = nazi hate speech. In their minds, they're doing the right thing because they think they're protesting hate speech, but what they're actually doing is protesting their own right to demonstrate and carry on and openly discuss their own opinions. They are actually advocating a Big Brother 1984 scenario without even realizing it.
Let's just hope enough people realize what insanity this is, because this is a very slippery slope.

Anonymous