My take on Jerry Lewis is that he made a fortune imitating people with palsy and then dedicated himself to supporting them through the Muscular Dystrophy Association telethons. RIP. What are your thoughts? Was he a creep or a nice guy?

Image for post My take on Jerry Lewis is that he made a fortune imitating people with palsy and then dedicated himself to supporting them through the Muscular Dystrophy Association telethons.  RIP.  What are your thoughts?  Was he a creep or a nice guy?
VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
8 45
@2634931

Yep.
Sweet andy griffith was a dick to and about women, too.
I experienced him first hand.
Many from that generation were/are clueless, crass and mean.

I think he was very talented and did some real good. Like all of us, he had his flaws. May he rest in peace.

I'm not going to say anything bad about him. I personally think that he was a great man.

@2634679

I've loved that guy for my entire life. I can't believe people are judging him.

@JerryHendrickson I've loved that guy for my entire life. I can't believe people are judging him.

I just read through this, i dont see any judgement. You seeing it elsewhere?
He wasnt a bad guy, said some off putting things sometimes, but many do/did from his generation.
I just didnt enjoy his comedy.

@Carla I just read through this, i dont see any judgement. You seeing it elsewhere? He wasnt a bad guy, said some off...

Isn't the premise of the post by the author inferring that Jerry was making fun of the handicapped in his comedy? He was just acting like a silly child.

As a kid I never really got into his comedy, but as other said he made a huge contribution to MDA.

Wasnt fond of his comedy.
Rip, jerry.

I've never liked his comedy.

@2634910

I agree, he just made silly faces and people laughed.

@2634782

He was OK when he was with Dean Martin, but after they broke up, I thought he was rather bland and not funny.

@2634786

He always did a Labor Day marathon for muscular dystrophy and made a lot of money for the cause....that's what I remember most about him.

@2634822

I've been told my avatars are too sexy, and I'm trying to get attention. lol Go figure that crap.

@2634934

Thanks, it's very colorful.... probably too sexy for some prudes on this site...lol lol

@2634966

Thanks Ser, my sentiments exactly. lol We have some jealous prudes on this site. lol

@2634774

Well when one gets to be 90, I guess they can be cantankerous and get away with it. lol

@2636013

Well cantank away. lol This is the site for it.

@2636022

You are cruel, CT would never have called me a dullard.

Jerry Lewis telethons raised over 2.5 billion dollars. (If that alone doesn't speak for itself, it should.)

While I am not a big Jerry Lewis fan, there were a few movies he made I liked. There was no way he was making fun of people suffering from any disease. Those who believe that are just trying to read something into it that simply isn't there.

Lewis' style of comedy was not that unusual for the time period and it didn't "target" anyone or any group. He usually played a quirky simpleton, that was often the victim of his own naivety, the same as others like; Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, Abbot and Costello, and in more recent years, Steve Martin, and others.

RIP Jerry Lewis.

I don't know. But...just like Michael Jackson... RIP.

I wasn't a fan of his but I had nothing against him. He did great things for MDA,
perhaps to make up for his early humor? Just let him RIP.

When I was a kid I watched his movies with Dean Martin. I thought he was hilarious.

Time passed and Lewis got tired of playing 2nd fiddle to Martin - split up the act. It seemed to me that Lewis got full of himself and became kind of a dick.

Thanks for the early laughs Jerry!