what is hate speech?

I have been hearing a lot of talk about this subject but I am have a problem figuring it out. I mean my granddaughter would surly have a different opinion on this then me as I am sure everybody would. So what is hate speech?

altonschwabs avatar Politics
9 97

Hate speach is an atificial term used to slowly chop away at people's right to say what they think or believe.

@JustJimColo Hate speach is an atificial term used to slowly chop away at people's right to say what they think or believe.

Well folks this is not simple if you have read the comments to this post it is anything but simple. I was always told sticks and stones will break your bones but words can never hurt you. I think I have come to a conclusion that is mine and mine alone. Hate speech really doesn’t exist and I will no longer use it as a term in my daily conversations because to do so would be spreading the lies that seek to divide us and pit us against each other. You are free to believe what you will but for me this is just stupid. I personally don’t hate anybody and would like to think that nobody hates me. With all the troubles in this country the homeless, the poor, people trying to destroy our history, the gangs, the cost of health care, the continuous attacks on our freedoms by the politicians who are only interested in staying in office and the media who are only interested in their ratings they believe shock sells. I would like to thank you all for your comments your opinions do matter.

@2634829

@2634836

Anything demeaning others, for instance the neo-nazis hating on Americans.

@StarzAbove Anything demeaning others, for instance the neo-nazis hating on Americans.

@2634990

@2634801

Ok but who gets to decided what is derogatory or nasty or evil like I said my grannddaughter would consider the word sh** nasty. and my wife considers the use of Gods name in vane evil. so who gets to decide.

@2634814

You are being pretty vague I mean person of color what color? Yes it has been decided by the Supreme Court its call free speech and you have the right to say what you think without being subjected to violence. But you can't yell fire if there is none. If your word endanger others you can get into trouble so I ask again what is hate speech?

@2634859

and not that I think you would ever do that but if you did I would have to wonder if you had a death wish. LOL but at the same time wouldn't that be stupid speech also.

@2634873

Let look at what was said. If a term was used against blacks, it was just called hate speech, and there are laws, and that the person who said it might be killed.
Lets flip that and a black used derogatory name for whites. What is the result? It it called hate speech? Would the black's life most certainly be in danger? Is there a law preventing the derogatory comments again whites....? No.
While some say racism is the cause of so many deaths... why doesn't anybody look at the numbers and see what racists are killing who.

@2635056

Very true.That's getting even worse these days. While racist remarks should be a double edged sword, they aren't. Some are not held to the same standards of conduct they demand of others.

@JustJimColo Very true.That's getting even worse these days. While racist remarks should be a double edged sword, they aren't...

@2634801

Oh come on the whole world isn't about skin color. Hate can be against mostly anything. Hateful people spew hate. Let's all be nicer to each other instead.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Oh come on the whole world isn't about skin color. Hate can be against mostly anything. Hateful people spew...

Hate Speech: Legal Definition

Hate speech is a communication that carries no meaning other than the expression of hatred for some group, especially in circumstances in which the communication is likely to provoke violence. It is an incitement to hatred primarily against a group of persons defined in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and the like. Hate speech can be any form of expression regarded as offensive to racial, ethnic and religious groups and other discrete minorities or to women.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/h/hate-speech/

@Maze Hate Speech: Legal Definition Hate speech is a communication that carries no meaning other than the expression of...

@altonschwab Well folks this is not simple if you have read the comments to this post it is anything but simple. I was always...

I thought it might add clarity to the discussion if someone posted the legal definition of the term.

Ok Folks I guess I am slow but I am still missing it . so what if someone were raised in a religion to believe that Homosexuality is wrong it would be hate speech if I said he was a Homophobe?

@2634869

What jerk did that to you?

@2634869

Hey Tiffanee how are you. I am sorry that happened to you. what I was trying to say is that to you it is hate speech and I will tell you that I agree I also think that you should have told whoever it was to take a hike. But I don't think it is hate speech to call someone out on things you disagree with. Some people think abortion is killing others say it’s not who get to decided what hate speech is Goodness I hope it not me

@2634864

I guess that is what I am trying to say the words hate speech are being thrown around so much that they have lost there meaning.

@altonschwab Ok Folks I guess I am slow but I am still missing it . so what if someone were raised in a religion to believe that...

Probably, you are supposed to treat them better than anyone else you can't even disagree or they say you are doing something wrong. I wish people would grow a thicker skin and just shrug it off.

Apparently anything that makes your blood boil.

Attacking people, calling for harm, death, murder. Saying certain groups deserve to suffer or be oppressed. Things like that.

@Trish Attacking people, calling for harm, death, murder. Saying certain groups deserve to suffer or be oppressed. Things...

so antifa and blm called for the death of police officers that was hate speech? the neo-idiots chanting Jews won't replace us death to all nonwhites that was hate speech? oh and I just watched the Presidents speech where he stated he intended to search out and destroy issi and the talaban that was hate speech? I am so confused

Yes hate speech exists. Sorry, but you wanting to ignore or dismiss it does not make it go away. That's not how reality works.

@Trish Yes hate speech exists. Sorry, but you wanting to ignore or dismiss it does not make it go away. That's not how...

ok then what is hate speech? because all I have heard is a bunch of opinions some I agree with some I don't. I am not ignoring it I just can't figure out what it is and in reality you can't tell me what is either can you?

Rude, harmful comments directed toward {insert population group(s) here}.

@Masha Rude, harmful comments directed toward {insert population group(s) here}.

Is it hate speech to announce to the public that a president "should be assassinated," to me that is the very definition of hate speech. Don't even try to hide behind "free speech." Free speech for some is hate speech for others.

@ozzyboy Is it hate speech to announce to the public that a president "should be assassinated," to me that is the very...

Come on do you know how many times I heard the same thing said about President Obama, Bush, Clinton and Reagan. I guess I am dating myself. But I didn’t here it from a state legislator. They should take these things seriously but people get angry and say thing they don’t really mean it happens all the time. and that is all I have been trying to say one man hate speech is another mans free speech.

@altonschwab Come on do you know how many times I heard the same thing said about President Obama, Bush, Clinton and Reagan. I...

A Missouri legislator called for Trump to be "assassinated" and when given the chance to rescind her words doubled down
on her wishes. She has now backed down but she still wished for his killing.
She is in a position of leadership and her behavior, as such, is
unforgivable and she should be removed from office. This is not some hopped up drunk, private person, who was also investigated for his threats to a president.
She, absolutely, be held accountable and not given the cover of "free speech." It would have not been acceptable in the last administration nor should it be forgiven in this one.

https://politicalwire.com/2017/...er-calls-trump...

@ozzyboy A Missouri legislator called for Trump to be "assassinated" and when given the chance to rescind her words doubled...

Maxim Waters has said far worse about President Trump. Don’t hear anybody calling her out for hate speech. speech is speech action is action.

Jeesh that was a stupid thing to say -- I think they are pretty well protected. If not I think someone would have gotten OBummer.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Jeesh that was a stupid thing to say -- I think they are pretty well protected. If not I think someone would have...

I can't disagree with you on that. Perhaps the updated version of the Animal Farm story is that some are protected and some aren't.

@2635213

Wild Bill for America, also known as William Finlay, a popular author and speaker, was arrested today, June 24, 2017, at a Canadian airport for “smuggling hate speech” on his iPad. He was invited to speak at an event at Calgary’s Olympic Plaza called the “Patriotic Unity Mega Festival” coordinated by Cananda’s Worldwide Coaliation Against Islam (WCAI) which also has organizations in Europe and Australia.

Kind of sounds like the law was invoked to protect an agenda!

Maybe, just allowing free speech is a good idea.

@2636102

Too bad Canada doesn't allow Free Speech. Then there wouldn't be a question as to 'how far they might go.'

Yeah, those hate groups ; skin heads, nazis, bigots, anti-fa - are pretty wide spread and many just travel from protest to protest!

Depends on who you're asking, a normal person would say that it's hateful talking to someone without presenting a logical argument eg racism.

While practically, hate speech is what PC police uses to silence people who they don't like. In short, it'd be stripping you of your voice by branding you evil

@Sunny_the_skeptic Depends on who you're asking, a normal person would say that it's hateful talking to someone without presenting a...

Absolutely. What is deemed "hate speech" is dictated by those who are powerful/influential enough to promote their own agendas and politically correct mandates.
It's hate speech to condemn radical islam but not hate speech to condemn Christianity.
It's hate speech to condemn groups like BLM or the Black Panthers but not hate speech to condemn White groups.
It's hate speech to speak out against people illegally entering this country and committing crimes if they are not white. They have made it into a racial hate issue instead of a criminal issue.
It is hate speech to suggest any group or organization could be made up solely of whites, while all the organizations that are solely one minority or another, are applauded. (i.e. Black caucus, black awards, black entertainment, hispanic political groups, etc etc.)

How long before it is considered a crime to use "hate speech", in other words, disagreeing with a particular candidate, or the government? It's already here! How many times has it been labeled as hate speech, when people spoke out against any of the progressive candidates, agendas or corruption? Why are all these "hate" laws, directed at only one race?

@JustJimColo Absolutely. What is deemed "hate speech" is dictated by those who are powerful/influential enough to promote their...

That's why there needs to be resistance, a group perhaps called " Anti moronic agendas group" or " Logic and reality over feelings" or " stop the retardation" We can think of many names. But you have to hand it, it's clever because as one of them you get to be intolerant and even violent and it's ok as long as you paint the other side as evil and on top of which you can make yourself look like the knight paladin, the protector of the underprivileged, shield of minorities, savior or feminists and gays. You get to be as self righteous as you want, it's brilliant!

@2634920

like I said I am slow. so are you saying that if someone tweets I want to smash james woods over the head with a 2x4 he should go to jail or just band from twitter?

@2634975

but you didn't anwser the question. should someone who tweets I want to smash james woods over the head with a 2x4 go to jail or just band from twitter? you dicide and let see how many poeple agree with your views on this. I say neither

@altonschwab like I said I am slow. so are you saying that if someone tweets I want to smash james woods over the head with a...

Oh I don't think it matters if it is a celebrity and you just talk silly about it. HEY DID Ya'all hear about that judge who was shot at today, he pulled his own gun and killed the guy Score 1 4 the judge!!

@2634920

When someone doesn't like who they are, and someone else reminds them of who they are, that's hate speech.

@BlueRose When someone doesn't like who they are, and someone else reminds them of who they are, that's hate speech.

It's the end of free speech if people buy into it

@gypsyking It's the end of free speech if people buy into it

Now it can be anything so why do people still hate. Chill all

@2635874

@2636249

@2636767

@2639817

@2639877

Sunny and JustJim gave the best summation of the commonly accepted definition of hate speech nowadays in their posts above. It's all pointed in only one direction. Sort of the same way the words "racist" and "racism" are used nowadays. We are told that it is impossible for a Negro to be a racist, but I remember hearing racist quotes by Jeremiah Wright at the church that the Obamas always attended in Chicago!

That I am just not bothered by your moves -_-