Harvard Has Got Go!

Since the latest fad is to air brush our history, you know stuff that if you dig deep enough, you're bound to find something that will piss you off. And, Lord knows [oops - I invoked God!], any thing that's been around since the 1600's has got to have some shit way out of bounds. And what do you know - Harvard is steeped in all manner of hateful things. Stuff like religion, prestige, elitism, books, the Massachusetts Bay Colony - which practically cries out genocide of indigenous people. Did you know Harvard didn't let women enroll until 1945? They managed to keep out the Jews until the early 1900's. As late as the 1950s, Wilbur Bender, then the dean of admissions for Harvard College, was seeking better ways to "detect homosexual tendencies and serious psychiatric problems" in prospective students. Protests broke out after Harvard admitted its first black student, Beverly Garnett Williams, in 1847. Students, faculty, and pro-slavery Southerners (apparently a large faction back then) rioted upon hearing the news. But the anger was all harbored in vain. Williams died just before the academic year began, and thus never entered the college. Harvard wouldn't accept another black student for 23 years. Even today, there is a separate graduation ceremony for black students! Harvard must be dealt with harshly! Please, post your ideas how to rid this menace from society!

Image for post Harvard Has Got Go!
33% They should close it down 17% They should set it on fire 0% They should be sentenced to 5 year community college 33% You know this is all sarcasm, right? 17% Other
Budwicks avatar Countries & Places
2 26

Now you get the picture smile smilie

Bookyankas avatar Bookyanka You know this is all sarcasm, right? 0Reply
@Bookyanka Now you get the picture

OK Book - Got It! Message received.
Thank you.

@2636343

Linn - I'm sorry you got snookered, but this whole post is one of sarcasm. One of the choices reads "You know this is all sarcasm, right? "

The fact that students chose to have a a separate graduation is hardly a defense against racism though - IMO. They're students - join the commencement or not - your choice. Where's a yearning for diversity? The desire for inclusion?

@2636429

I understand - no apologies required.

@Budwick Linn - I'm sorry you got snookered, but this whole post is one of sarcasm. One of the choices reads "You know this...

People don't comprehend sarcasm anymore. They are too emotionally impulsive and ideologically driven. They read three words and go off half cocked with a foolish emotional rant . Sad no smilie, but it is funny.

@Bookyanka People don't comprehend sarcasm anymore. They are too emotionally impulsive and ideologically driven. They read...

I understand.
When I include it in my comments, I've taken to something like -
* SARCASM ALERT **
Insert sarcasm here
*
END OF SARCASM ALERT **

It bothered me at first, but then I realized that people that understood the NEED for such silliness didn't really spoil the sarcasm, but enhanced it!

I'm a fan Book! You got me good!

@Budwick I understand. When I include it in my comments, I've taken to something like - *** SARCASM ALERT...

** SARCASM ALERT **
So Bookyanka and Budwick are sitting in a tree?
With their sarcasm trolling down to a tee? xp smilie
** END OF SARCASM ALERT **

wink smiliebiggrin smilie

I think it also depends on how clear the sarcasm is...

Sadly, there are some weird extremes out there...

Like I read something about people still believing the world was clearly flat... and I thought it was sarcasm or a joke... but nope... they strongly believe it...

So what's the different between some sarcasm and strange extreme beliefs? ... only the person (if you know them) and the delivery

So the person has to be well known or the delivery has to be great or funny.

@Zolfie I think it also depends on how clear the sarcasm is... Sadly, there are some weird extremes out there... Like I...

Exactly right. And, it is more difficult to get across sometime in writing - no facial expression or tone of voice, etc.

Book is pretty new here and frankly I didn't know him well enough to see any sarcasm or have an idea on his stance on stuff.

One thing is certain - I will be reading his stuff more carefully from now on! He got me good!

@2636343

"to celebrate Harvard Black excellence and brilliance.”

That seems kinda racist... and does means they don't have to celebrate the non-Blacks? and takes the Blacks out of the main graduations?

@2636343

clap smilie Yayyy!! I love to Google, copy, paste, and condescend too! Makes me seem intelligent. Keep up the fight smile smilie

@2636370

//Perhaps a little research on your part might have been a good idea: //

Reads a bit condescending, but that's me.
Now if you had used your own words instead of copying & pasting, your condescension might be warranted. pce smilie

@2636431

I'm a well read, highly educated liberal. It's my job to condescend.

Thinking by using logic instead of feelings?

Anonymous