Is equality natural? I don't see equality in nature so why do we strive to achieve equality? Is life supposed to be fair?

gypsykings avatar Politics
5 32
@2636530

isn't equality rewarding the weak and not encouraging people to strive to be the best?

@2636549

I just don't get why we value the idea equality at all. Won't rewarding the weak stop the human race from growing stronger?

@2636547

Isn't equality unnatural though? Even trees fight for light. It just seems like a human concept that is unachievable to me

@2636551

Where does equality come from if it's not from nature?

Is buying your food at a grocery store natural? Is brushing your teeth natural? Is using a stick to beat your pray so you can eat natural? Is anything that humans create (speech, music, tools, laws, customs, shelters) natural?

I say it is all natural, some would say none of it is.

Equality? Sure. the concept of equality is natural, the attainment of that quality is impossible. You don't see it in nature because it doesn't exist outside of the mind of humans being. Fail as they may equality is a pipedream worth smoking.

@VicZinc Is buying your food at a grocery store natural? Is brushing your teeth natural? Is using a stick to beat your...

I agree that all of those things are natural. I disagree that we should be chasing pipe dreams. I think it causes problems. We arnt all equal. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. We should celebrate our differences, not all pretend to be equal. Some people and some groups of people are better at certain things than others. Why is it a pipe dream worth smoking if the attainment of equality is impossible?

@gypsyking I agree that all of those things are natural. I disagree that we should be chasing pipe dreams. I think it causes...

It is like religion or philosophy or higher mathematics: not attainable in any conclusive way, but it leads to advances in thought and progress in humanity.

Some examples:
1) We treat everyone as having equal right to own property (even if some are more capable of capturing and defending property).
2) We assume everyone has an equal vote (even though some are dumb as a rock, others are blinded by ideology, and precious few are capable of making informed choices.)
3) We don't, on the other hand treat everyone as equal when it comes to boxing. (Some people we pay lots of money to watch them beat the crap out of each other -- but we don't pay anything to watch two drunks fight in an alley.)

So in all cases we recognize people are not equal, but we behave accordingly because we are decent humans who are all descended from a common ancestor.

@VicZinc It is like religion or philosophy or higher mathematics: not attainable in any conclusive way, but it leads to...

I'll try and give a few of examples of why I think it's no good. I don't think we will agree though.

1) if something is impossible to achieve then it's a waste of time. I know I'll never be able fly no matter how much I wave my arms about so I don't do it.

2) there are people that are better at certain things than other people. Its them that should be encouraged to go on and progress with their natural talent. If a kid can't kick a football then is it worth devoting as much time and effort to help him succeed as someone who has natural talent?

3) look at what has happened with the pursuit of gender equality. It has caused all sorts of problems. Divorce rates have sky rocketed, children are without fathers. Male unemployment has sky rocketed because there's not enough jobs for all men and women. And male suicide has increased because men have had their natural birth right of being able to provide taken away from them.

I really don't think it's a good thing at all

@gypsyking I'll try and give a few of examples of why I think it's no good. I don't think we will agree though. 1) if...

You are prolly right, we don't agree - try this:

1) Try telling the Wright Brothers that flapping arms is a waste of time.

2) We won't play the kid who can't kick as a star punter but we won't deprive him of the fun of kicking either. There would only be one soccer player in the world if we only let the best one kick.

3) The problems in employment come from productivity gains due to technology, not from gender equality.

Equality rewards a society with opportunities to develop intelligence and adaptability and long-term that gives them the greatest chance of survival over a society ruled by the law of the jungle where hunting and fighting are the only required skills.

It's better if its fair, things are not but it's a nice idea, it's what separates us from animals. for us to thrive we dont require raw physical strength to survive like our cave ancestors. Then again a lot of things in society today are mostly fair, you get what you deserve unless someone has it all ready for you and you just eat like a baby bird.

Equality is not natural. However if we look at the behavior of bonobos we can see a natural society where everyone is taken care of and the strong protect the weak and intern are given better treatment. The thing is there is nothing wrong with alpha male type people some people are amazing and stand above the rest and people want the great to succeed and many people with give lots of money time and resources to those people and that is great. I think the main reason people have started to hate those at the top is that they are shirking their responsibilities as an alpha they are given the best to protect and serve and when they fail to do so they have broken the unspoken contract. Power in itself is not wrong it's how those in power use it. The alphas need to be leaders not tyrants.

@2636670

I disagree. Mother Nature knows best.

@2636806

I'm sure she had her reasons

@2636814

I believe in God. If he thinks it's time to end the world then so be it.

Only someone with something to gain from equality would support such a suppressing idea