After watching "What happened to Monday" it comes to mind that the Earth will be overpopulated beyond control within a few centuries. Do you think we should implement one child policies worldwide?

This movie is about an overpopulated Earth where inhumane population control methods are implemented. And 7 girls named from Monday to Sunday have to live all as 1 person and have a life only once every week.

It really makes you think.

What Happened to Monday? Official Trailer #1 (2017) Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe Sci-Fi Movie HDWhat Happened to Monday? Trailer 1 (2017) Noomi Rapace, Willem Dafoe Sci-Fi Movie HD [Official Trailer]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-YEbm65a8
15% Yes 62% No 23% Other
Sunny_the_skeptics avatar Politics
6 41

Look at Australia, nearly all of Australians live by coast. There's so much unpopulated land. I don't think taking away people's right to reproduce is the answer. Building more houses would be a better solution.

@gypsyking Look at Australia, nearly all of Australians live by coast. There's so much unpopulated land. I don't think taking...

The problem right now isn't so much the space. It's being able to produce enough food and the finite supply of fresh water. We even have a big water problem in the US. California already gets much of their water from other states, including Colorado, and Colorado is running out of water.

@JustJimColo The problem right now isn't so much the space. It's being able to produce enough food and the finite supply of...

70% of the earth is water, I can't see how water and food can be such a problem. If we can direct a missile hundreds of miles with pinpoint accuracy then surely we can get food and water to people.

@gypsyking 70% of the earth is water, I can't see how water and food can be such a problem. If we can direct a missile...

How much of that 70% can you drink? Using the oceans water sounds like a good idea on the surface, and it is used for about 1% of the worlds population today. It is not a cheap process though and as population grows, the need for food grows. It sounds crazy, but did you know it takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce a bushel of corn? Can you imagine the cost of desalinating that much water on a scale large enough to grow crops? Then there would be the impossible task of getting that water to agricultural areas like Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc etc.
http://www.agriculture.com/mach...el_272-ar22678

@JustJimColo How much of that 70% can you drink? Using the oceans water sounds like a good idea on the surface, and it is used...

This looks quite simple and cheap to make. Yet I've never seen one. Have you?Image in content
The sea could be full of them. As for transportation, we don't seem to have any trouble transporting oil around the world

@gypsyking This looks quite simple and cheap to make. Yet I've never seen one. Have...

There is a big difference between transporting water and oil (gasoline) The average person in Kansas uses 462 gallons of gasoline a year. The average person in the US uses 33,000 gallons of water a year. That's just for personal use, not for livestock, crop irrigation, lawns, plants, gardens etc.
Would you be willing to pay even $1 a gallon for all the water you used? That would be about $33,000. It's just not a practical solution to use desalinated water for a large population and anyone not living on the coast.

@gypsyking There has to be a better solution than telling people they can't reproduce.

I'm not disagreeing with you there. LOL (That would never work) It's just that solutions are often a lot more complex than we are led to believe and there are never any quick, inexpensive fixes.
I lived in Kuwait, total population about 4 million, where all their drinking water comes from a desalinization plant. It works in a country where 99% of the population is within 10 miles of the gulf and they have unlimited funds when it comes to $$$.

I don't think the situation is desperate enough to warrant such actions. My guess is that a viral pandemic will do the heavy lifting.

Perhaps some sort of population control should be implemented worldwide, it's not nice to rob people of the joy to have multiple children but overpopulation will be a problem which will make people everywhere suffer.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Perhaps some sort of population control should be implemented worldwide, it's not nice to rob people of the joy to...

Definitely I advocate pop control... No one should have more than 2-3 children...

This sounds a bit like an old movie called Logan's Run, where everyone over 30 was put to death. And then there is an even older movie about making people into bread... called... damnit I forget...Soyient Green...Charlton Heston.

Always a good movie theme...

Let's just blow up the Earth.

While doing it, let's grow some honey and LSD. If the bees are gone, we'll find a way to imagine them. We'll just eat soap instead.

I started to watch that yesterday on Netflix, I couldn't get into it though. In answer to your question I think overpopulation is a myth

@gypsyking I started to watch that yesterday on Netflix, I couldn't get into it though. In answer to your question I think...

Why though? We are already 7 billion and growing, China had to use that policy because they were getting overpopulated. If people have 2 children or more each the population will grow.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Why though? We are already 7 billion and growing, China had to use that policy because they were getting...

That number could be lie. Not only that, but there are parts of the world that arnt populated at all. Overcrowding should be solved by city planners not population controllers.

Growing population may be an issue. I'm 67 and even way back when I was becoming a Dad, there was ... awareness. It seemed to me that if we had two kids, we were just replacing ourselves - no real growth.

I've heard a lot about what Boz wrote about too - fertility rates declining. So, somehow, 'Mother Nature' is taking care of business. Big populations do take their toll. Besides just the room, people seem to congregate in cities and suburbs and we consistently ruin the environment in ever growing areas. We over farm the land, pushing for greater production, over fertilize with run off poisoning water supplies. My point is, there are lot's of issues that all need attention. And, at this point, I think new Moms and Dads should be encouraged to have smaller families - not by law, but by societal encouragement. We could even reduce abortions the same way if it weren't treated like a method of birth control.

@Budwick Growing population may be an issue. I'm 67 and even way back when I was becoming a Dad, there was ... awareness...

I think responsible people are only having a couple children because that's all they can afford to support. Irresponsible people are pumping them out in large numbers because they rely on others to foot the bil for their kids as well as themselves.

@JustJimColo I think responsible people are only having a couple children because that's all they can afford to support...

You and I think alike. While reading all these posts, that was what was going around in my brain.
One solution to this would be that the government would only support two children, per family, at a time.
No more money for extra kids. It sounds harsh but that is what people should be doing that actually support their children.

@ozzyboy You and I think alike. While reading all these posts, that was what was going around in my brain. One solution to...

Yep. If you can't afford them, don't have them. If you have them to get more freebies from others who have to work, get neutered.

@2637198

Just trying to learn here - not being a dickhead (this time) -
Women leaving the home to work affects fertility? Fears? Living Standards?

Am I thinking wrong that fertility has something to do with the odds of a woman getting pregnant? I don't see a plausible connection if so.

Or, is it more like a woman's desire to become pregnant changing because of those factors?

@2637318

I always thought agrarian societies had larger families not only because of infant mortality but because people need help farming the land. I could not find any evidence to support this though.

@2637354

I'm so glad!
Here's me... being happy!