Students suspended, expelled for playing 'Jews vs. Nazis' beer pong at a house party. Is it reasonable to expel students for the way they arranged their cups in a game of off campus beer pong, or is that overreacting?

ATLANTA - Students from an Atlanta private school are facing disciplinary action after a photo posted online shows them playing a game of "Jews vs. Nazis" beer pong at an off-campus house party. Channel 2 Action News confirmed the photo shows students of the Lovett School playing the game earlier this month. The picture clearly shows cups filled with beer in the shape of a Jewish star on one side of the table and a Nazi swastika on the other. ... ... ... ... ... ... .. ... .. ... .. ... .. ... . ... .. ... .. .. .. ... .. .. .. .. ... .. . .. . . . ... .. . . [Maze] If you watch the video included with the story, the tone is very much that this was a hate crime, but no actual context is given besides it being at a house party. But we know this didn't happen in a bubble, these themes are current events in the media narrative. So do you think this was likely some kind of nazi gathering, or do you think this was probably just some drunken youths being a little outrageous for the sake of a laugh? Should Americans have the right to arrange the cups in a game of beer pong any way they like? Or should there be strict limits enforced and harsh punishments doled out to offenders? I'm curious what you think.

Students suspended, expelled for playing ‘Jews vs. Nazis' beer pong off campusChannel 2 Action News confirmed the photo shows students of the Lovett School playing the game earlier this month.http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/students-suspended-expelled-for-playing-jews-vs-nazis-beer-pong-off-campus/597074550
33% Reasonable response 60% Overreacting 7% Other
Mazes avatar Jokes & Humour
5 27

If they are old enough to drink beer, they are old enough to know better.

@Maze

It's called taking responsibility for one's actions.

@dru18 It's called taking responsibility for one's actions.

Well, they're not old enough to drink beer for one, they're high school students.

@Maze Well, they're not old enough to drink beer for one, they're high school students.

You know what age the Physiological Association has one knowing right from wrong? Age ten.

There were two young cretins, back in the late nineties, who broke into a man's house and beat to death most of the cats he was fostering.

It made national news.

They were given a slap on the wrist.

I am sick of the mentality, "boys will be boys"

@dru18 You know what age the Physiological Association has one knowing right from wrong? Age ten. There were two young...

But was what the beer pong kids did objectively wrong? We don't know that they had any negative intent, and it's not like they harmed anyone, they just arranged their cups in a way that was deemed offensive by others after the fact.

What you brought up is hardly an apples to apples comparison, of course what the cat killers did was wrong, but these kids didn't do that.

@Maze But was what the beer pong kids did objectively wrong? We don't know that they had any negative intent, and it's...

Oh my God, I just read the article, and it is worse than I thought.

They were using glasses with Swastikas on it. Really?

And those little cretins were only suspended, not expelled, so please don't act like they were severely punished.

And since they videoed it, and put it on the internet, they knew exactly what they were doing.

@dru18 Oh my God, I just read the article, and it is worse than I thought. They were using glasses with Swastikas on it...

"They were using glasses with Swastikas on it. Really?"

No.

That's not what the story says. It says "The picture clearly shows cups filled with beer in the shape of a Jewish star on one side of the table and a Nazi swastika on the other." And if you look at the picture, they're just plastic cups arranged in patterns.

The story is like, one paragraph long, and despite your willingness to wade into a discussion about it, you only just read it? And when you finally did read it, you didn't even read it accurately? What the heck? Evidently I haven't been discussing this story with you, I've been discussing your biases with you.

@Maze "They were using glasses with Swastikas on it. Really?" No. That's not what the story says. It says "The picture...

In the light of what just happened in Charlottesville, I would say this whole country's nerves are frayed.

And if you think, that somehow, what the symbols were made of is the story, then you are missing the whole point.

The boys did something incredibly stupid, and hurtful.

They need to own it.

@dru18 In the light of what just happened in Charlottesville, I would say this whole country's nerves are frayed. And if...

If nerves are frayed, so much more the importance of getting your facts straight and not jumping to conclusions.

Having a set of glasses emblazoned with swastikas shows a little more commitment than just arranging some plastic cups for a drinking game, don't you think?

If you found what they did personally hurtful, I'm sorry, but your pain threshold is way too low. It was just a stupid drinking game, get over your self. It was a total non-incident.

@Maze If nerves are frayed, so much more the importance of getting your facts straight and not jumping to...

And that's the problem. You think I am hurt, because of myself? First, of all, I am not "hurt", but I am offended.

Why? Because not too long ago, certain groups of people were sent to the ovens, experimented on, tortured, worked and starved to death. It was all carried out under the swastika.

And what is really scary, is that they almost won the war.

Now, I would suggest your mind get a little broader to actually SEE those certain groups of people, who you probably are not a part of, but should have empathy for, just the same.

It was a suspension. Get over it.

The Beer Pong game taken completely out of context is difficult to judge.

I remember being in college and the stupid drinking games we played. [Actually, I don't remember exactly how the games were played too well, but I do recall that nobody ever lost!)

To imagine that today's college kids have put some new current event twist, spiced up with words and symbols that would be in bad taste isn't hard to do.

I did notice the the Jewish star has more cups than the swastika. But, it's a drinking game, so who knows who is advantaged or disadvantaged.

ALERT -- ALERT -- ALERT

I just thought I would look up Lovett School in Atlanta - maybe see what else is going on.

It's a Phucking coeducational, kindergarten through twelfth grade school !
And, we're debating the KIND of drinking game they are playing?

@Budwick The Beer Pong game taken completely out of context is difficult to judge. I remember being in college and the...

The students in question look more like 12 graders than kindergarten students, but it's a valid point. Would they have faced disciplinary action if the cups were arranged in sports logos rather than politically charged symbols? It probably wouldn't have made the news, but is underage drinking off campus something they'd punish? I don't know. It's not behavior a school would want to encourage, but would it be overreach to punish students for what they do outside of school under other less inflammatory circumstances?

@Maze The students in question look more like 12 graders than kindergarten students, but it's a valid point. Would they...

Definite over reach! The kids did some stuff wrong - kids do9 stuff like that. Mom and Dad should handle the kids.

The 'adults' in charge, they need some serious training in how to run a school, supervise children, and be adults themselves.

It sounds like it might have been an overreaction, but it's very hard to tell from the video. I don't know what the students motivation was, aside from drinking beer.
Their choice of opponents in the game is interesting, and high school seniors aren't exactly little kids just parroting something they've seen or heard...

@2638955

Merkel is a childless woman who's parents voluntarily moved to East Germany from West Germany when she was a baby. I can't help but wonder what effect knowing that you could have grown up in rich, exciting, successful West Germany but your parents chose to live in the shitty, boring, scary East instead. Think there's an aspect of her that resents them for that? There's probably part of her that hates her family, a part she's probably repressing, and of course her country is an extension of her family, so it's no surprise that not only did she not continue her family, her actions as Chancellor seem to reflect a desire to literally eradicate her extended German family. Allowing mass immigration of people who are religiously opposed to things Germans love, like pork and beer, seems like an attempt to annihilate the very heart of German culture and tradition. At least that's what I see, it's really sad.

That is overreacting and bringing too much attention to the issue. But I would be scathing to the group in private.

What losers.

Trishs avatar Trish Reasonable response +1Reply
@Trish What losers.

since when did you have the right to oppress someone elses freedom because it goes against what you believe? oh right your liberal, how typical

Anonymousmouses avatar Anonymousmouse Overreacting -1Reply
@Trish Being racist isn't a freedom. Sorry.

who thinks blacks aren;t smart enough to get an ID card to vote like whites? oh thats right, you liberals, THATS REAL RACISM!

Anonymousmouses avatar Anonymousmouse Overreacting 0Reply

way over reacting, time university stopped oppressing FREE FREAKING SPEECH, on and ESPECIALLY off campus

Who cares

Anonymous