Can this culture ever change so we revere older people rather than younger people?

You, too, will get older one day. Perhaps the zeitgeist can change one day to revere knowledge...which young people have little of...

Image for post **Can this culture ever change so we revere older people rather than younger people?**
Sukiesnows avatar Jokes & Humour
4 27
@2639575

Wake up. We don't.

@2645458

Revere means to honour...and it involves treating someone with kindness, compassion and respect.

@2645512

I do my best.

Post is about the fact that Senior citizens are not always regarded this way...they are sometimes overlooked and disregarded.

@2639550

Don't you think the media - who revere the young - could help in this instance?

@2639649

Nevertheless, the media has an infuence.

I know when it comes to finding work, most companies prefer younger to older unless it's a specialised role like a CEO or Dr etc.

@2645455

You're right about that, then as you get older they start telling you that you have too much experience or you're over qualified. Sometimes i wonder if some employers even know what they want.

Not in the short term. The ratio of workers to retirees worldwide is plummeting. If this continues as predicted, I can foresee a time when senicide, in one form or another, will be acceptable. Should I live that long, I hope that my children send me off to a beautiful place to die.

@PhilboydStudge Not in the short term. The ratio of workers to retirees worldwide is plummeting. If this continues as predicted...

I think I understand but can you explain Senicide, Phil? Not just for me but anyone who might be reading...

@Sukiesnow I think I understand but can you explain Senicide, Phil? Not just for me but anyone who might be reading...

Senicide is the killing of the elderly. This includes leaving them someplace to die.

I've heard that the Inuit people would put their elderly on an ice float and send them off to die. I have no idea if this is actually true, but it's an easy thing to picture.

For various reasons the number of people working is not keeping pace with the number of people retiring. If ever comes the day when we can no longer (or refuse to) take care of the elderly and infirmed, I believe we will see senicide.

@PhilboydStudge Senicide is the killing of the elderly. This includes leaving them someplace to die. I've heard that the Inuit...

And no doubt many seniors will be eager to do so.

I have seen sick seniors and ones in "homes"...there really is no point to their life than day to day existence. I'm sorry.

@Sukiesnow And no doubt many seniors will be eager to do so. I have seen sick seniors and ones in "homes"...there really is...

So long as it's their choice, I'm all for it.

Perhaps it would be good for society to value and honor and elderly person deciding to die. That way, as my children kick my ice float off into the vast ocean, they will feel not only sadness but pride.

@PhilboydStudge So long as it's their choice, I'm all for it. Perhaps it would be good for society to value and honor and...

Personally I feel requests for death from other people should also be taken seriously...not just the elderly...but also the dying.

From the sounds of the posts, a person would be led to believe that there is no respect for older people or the elderly. I disagree. I'm in my 60's, and respect older people because I understand where they have been, what they have done, and what they have accomplished. I think many others do as well. (If a person can't respect those who came before them, I have no use for them.)

@JustJimColo From the sounds of the posts, a person would be led to believe that there is no respect for older people or the...

Hon...you are somewhat of an older person. And that's why you understand them... since you realize human frailties, shortcoming and the issues involved when you are getting even older.

Why not both? Shouldn't reverence be based on achievement? Btw the average age of a Nobel peace prize is 62 so you could say that the elderly are objectively the most respected minds in global society.

Maybe when old people are the ones dying in wars