-8

Cyber-bullying isn't a joke or a "fake term" made by "weak people" on the internet. People on the internet can and will destroy your life giving the slightest chance. Social sites hold a lot of power, and a mob mentality is a very dangerous thing on the internet. We should all be careful to not end up in it.

Context matters. When we don't pay attention to it, it can change the entire meaning of the situation. --- I've been looking up what Jon Ronson says on a lot of issues. He gives an interesting perspective on things.

How one tweet can ruin your life | Jon RonsonFor the longest time Jon Ronson reveled in the fact that Twitter gave a voice to the voiceless ... the social media platform gave us all a chance to speak up...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAIP6fI0NAI
Sofias avatar Technology
14 77

Bravo to Jon Ronson, and I also congratulate you and thank you for sharing this. :D
This brilliant video exposes a shocking reality that many people quite frankly don't want to accept. Sometimes people get so caught up in the craziness of social media that it becomes terrifyingly easy to forget to treat other people as humans. It's something people need to be careful about (of course I can't speak for everyone).
I completely agree with you that cyberbullying is real, but unfortunately many people can't see that. Many people are caught up in their own group-thinking and choose to believe that they are defending a good cause, when they are actually just destroying a person's life.

@primeiro Bravo to Jon Ronson, and I also congratulate you and thank you for sharing this. :D This brilliant video exposes a...

The internet makes it impersonal - you're not face to face with the person, so it's easier to have no empathy.

Yup, like he said, some people put ideologies over humans. It shouldn't be like that.

Edit: you're welcome and thank you :D

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +7Reply

Interesting speech. Thanks for posting.

It's a shame that some people have nothing better to do than cyber bully others on a web site. Or at least try to. Must lead miserable lives, that's for sure.

@2644408

It's my fan. I'm very loved :D And it appears my fan really believes cyberbullying isn't real and a made up term.
Edit: Oh, look, It's on 20. I'm waiting to see if it reaches 50.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +5Reply
@2644418

Ohhhh... maybe my fan is trying to help me by proving my point. Good boy!

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +5Reply
@Sofia It's my fan. I'm very loved :D And it appears my fan really believes cyberbullying isn't real and a made up...

Some bullies will never change....the sad part is they think they are superior to the rest of us....just saying.

@2644408

Well we know who's doing that don't we? Amirite's #1 bully, trying to sabotage this post.

I can't believe how many people disagreed!!! I have been harassed, called every name in the book, told to kill myself, threatened with rape and murder. It is 100% NOT A JOKE. It's not funny. It's not ok to do.

Trishs avatar Trish Agree +6Reply
@Trish I can't believe how many people disagreed!!! I have been harassed, called every name in the book, told to kill...

Most of those disagrees are from one troll. You can see on the top where the avatars appear on the side, on who Agreed and Disagreed. 23 of the 24 Disagrees have no avatar - there's someone who goes around disagreeing on some posts from some specific members. No matter what it's said, they will disagree just to mess with the OP, I guess. Don't take it seriously. Whoever it is, it's not worth it.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +6Reply
@Sofia Most of those disagrees are from one troll. You can see on the top where the avatars appear on the side, on who...

We both know of someone who is bullying and insulting everyone.... it needs to stop.

She is so bad she makes the occasional socks seem nice.

Is a disagree supposed to be bullying now? People need to suck it up and grow a spine for themselves. OR JUST STAY OFF LINE.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Is a disagree supposed to be bullying now? People need to suck it up and grow a spine for themselves. OR JUST...

I said there is a troll going around disagreeing witn some post, doens't matter the content just to mess with some members, and that she shouldn't care about it, because that person is not worth it. Where on that am I saying disagreement is bullying and that I'm offended by anything? Don't come here telling anyone what to stay out for if you can't even understand what is being said.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply

I think people should be more aware of giving their self worth over to a bunch of random internet strangers. Although this may be a callous statement, people probably need to be given the tools to survive such things, which is easier said than done.

@2644457

Of course.

But there's a way bigger audience on the internet, and when you have thousands of people ganging up on you and going through your life the best way they can just to find any flaw they can when in truth you haven't really done anything wrong... that will make a lot of damage.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +5Reply
@2644549

Yeah. I've heard some stories that just made me sick.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@2644571

I don't know. I did something I still regret deeply nowadays.

When I was in high school, I was this shy idiotic girl that just wanted to have friends. Some of my girl friends didn't like each other, at all. And when things got ugly between them, I made the wrong choice by continuing being friends with the bullies on that situation, and I lost one of the other friends.

Funny thing: things didn't end well between me and those "bullies". Three of them ended up not liking me very much. The only saving grace was the fourth one, that realised how bitchy they were, and stepped away from them and continued being my friend. But if I had any choice, I would have told them to fuck off from the beginning and stay with the others. They were good people and what I did was wrong.

I can't understand how someone is a bully and is fine with him/herself. I did it with no intention and I still hate it. Doing it on purpose? No, my brain doesn't compute that.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@Sofia Of course. But there's a way bigger audience on the internet, and when you have thousands of people ganging up on...

Some people don't care who they hurt, and that applies to some here on Amirite. Just as long as they can make themselves look good....but it's not working, others are seeing what a cruel person they can be.

@2644457

They're both bad. It's not a competition. I was told I was too fat to dance, at a dance. People used to yell "earthquake" when I walked by. I was told numerous times online and face to face to kill myself,etc. Neither one is ok.

Trishs avatar Trish Agree +3Reply
@2645547

One other thing i'd forgotten to mention or bring up... cyberbullying often is so intertwined with the real world anyway. For example, spread a rumor, post private videos/pictures, post someone's personal information (address,phone number,etc) so that they can be harassed and feel super unsafe. It's just a very thin line,anyway. Of course there are times when people just bully and "talk" to hear their own voice, but, it's to the point where I have 100% begun taking any threats very seriously.

Trishs avatar Trish Agree +2Reply
@2644461

I really like what he said. I've seen that mob mentally before on Twitter and on Facebook. My younger sister has an account on Twitter and she show me things sometimes, and on FB I've seen hundreds of people coming after one of my cousins after his girlfriend (now ex) framed him for some comments and posted it online. It's not pretty at all.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@2644461

Edit: thank you :D

(I guess I'm too invested in this - it's the second time I forget to thank someone)

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@2644615

It was just the video, really. I found out while messing around on Youtube.

My cousin is now... 19-20? Around that. This happened some time back.

Better do that xD I know that even with the proof that he wasn't the one writing the messages (the police got involved in it), people continued coming after him. Now it died down.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@2644638

Yeah, it's over. His life goes on.

I don't understand the question, sorry.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@2644685

Thank you :) It's good to see people discussing it.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@2644638

Actually, forget it. I got the question. No, they were already shaky before all that happened.

Damn, I'm slow xD

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@2644573

You should. Too many people pretend not noticing when bullying is happening.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply

Eh

@2645383

Thank you :) I'm glad too.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +2Reply

I don't get some of this "cyber bullying". All a person has to do, is turn off the machine. Many of those I've seen who are crying about cyber bullying, bring it on themselves. If you don't want to be called out over a stupid remark, don't make it.

I do empathize with those who are getting bullied by someone they actually know in the real world.

@JustJimColo I don't get some of this "cyber bullying". All a person has to do, is turn off the machine. Many of those I've...

I empathise with both. I've seen the damage both can do to someone, and it's not different from where I was standing.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@2644627

I think too many people have let "on-line", become their reality instead of face to face interpersonal relations. A person who can't cope because of their problems with their on-line relationships with people, need to work on being with real people, and developing friendships. Then, the online stuff isn't as important.

I really don't understand why people are so afraid of jokers on the internet. They don't know you and not even real to me. When someone on line talks like a bigshot I immediately know they are a tiny powerless person- hiding behind their screen because in real life they can do nothing.

Anonymous