I think the lieutenant and the officer should be penalized with a fine and forced to apologize to the nurse along with some serious retraining about the laws involving warrants. What do you think?

I saw this video and article and it really surprised me that they would take it that far. Especially since it wasn't even the guy they were chasing. It was the innocent truck driver that the guy crashed into.

‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her jobPolice video shows the moment Detective Jeff Payne snapped at nurse Alex Wubbels after she told him hospital policy barred him from collecting blood samples without a warrant or patient consent.https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/09/01/this-is-crazy-sobs-utah-hospital-nurse-as-cop-roughs-her-up-arrests-her-for-doing-her-job/
50% Jail time 17% Reduction in rank 0% Fine 0% Nothing 33% Other
Will_Janitors avatar Law
8 12

If the police thought they were legally right to obtain a blood sample and the cop doing it didn't think he was Rambo's nemesis, I assume they could have had the police lawyer speaking with the hospital lawyer very quickly to come out with a resolutions that didn't require a nurse being arrested. From what I saw, it seems the nurse has a good case to sue the cop or police for false arrest. At the very least, he should be banned from ever taking blood samples there again.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Jail time +7Reply

I agree, plus suspension without pay, and possible jail time ... it was actually an assault.

If what the Tribune says is the truth, the guy either followed the law (disobeying his superior and probably get screwed in his job) or followed the orders given to him (and probably gets away with it, because it was literally him doing what his superior ordered him to do). Unless they decide to use him as an example (and let the lieutenant get away with ordering his officers to do illegal acts), I really don't see how this could have worked any other way. Wubbels was screwed the moment the lieutenant gave that order, especially because she was aware of how things work.

I don't really know how the penalty works there, but maybe a reduction in rank to the lieutenant, maybe jail time. I'm not sure what to say about the officer. For what it's on the article, I think the worse he will get is a suspension which I don't think will let a lot of people happy. Do you think they will take his badge?

What a f-up situation.

Sofias avatar Sofia Jail time +6Reply
@Sofia If what the Tribune says is the truth, the guy either followed the law (disobeying his superior and probably get...

A badge carrier knows and understands these laws. (It's drummed into their heads over and over) If Wubbles was given an unlawful order, he is obligated by law, to not carry it out. He is also required by law to report the incident.

This sounds like the old, "It's not my fault defense."

Wubbels AND his lieutenant are both guilty of a crime.

@JustJimColo A badge carrier knows and understands these laws. (It's drummed into their heads over and over) If Wubbles was...

I'm not sure you understood what I said.

I've never said he didn't know the law. By reading the article it's obvious he did.
“So why don’t we just write a search warrant,” the officer wearing the body camera says to Payne.
“They don’t have PC,” Payne responds, using the abbreviation for probable cause, which police must have to get a warrant for search and seizure. He adds that he plans to arrest the nurse if she doesn’t allow him to draw blood. “I’ve never gone this far,” he says.

Payne is the detective that assaulted the nurse (it's not officer, I wrote it wrong on my previous comment). What I'm saying is he made the choice to think of himself first, and not follow the law. I've said both are guilty, so yeah, I know.

Alex Wubbels is the nurse.

Sofias avatar Sofia Jail time +4Reply
@Sofia I'm not sure you understood what I said. I've never said he didn't know the law. By reading the article it's...

LOL.. Yep, I misread the names. I was referring to the "cop" and the lieutenant.

Also, a cop can't write out a search warrant. Only a judge can do that.

@JustJimColo LOL.. Yep, I misread the names. I was referring to the "cop" and the lieutenant. Also, a cop can't write out a...

Yes, I'm aware of that. I don't think the officer meant from them to literally write the warrant there though, but to get one. If he meant that literally, then he needs to go back to the studying part of becoming a cop.

It's the detective response that is the important part though - Payne was aware that what he was doing wasn't legal.

Sofias avatar Sofia Jail time +4Reply

While I support the police 100%, this is a case of a person has no business being a cop because he obviously doesn't have the temperment for it. He should be charged with assault by a person in a position of trust and unlawful confinement.

Sadly enough, we hear repeatedly about police brutality and violence, and also here in Europe, in spite of very strict rules and laws:

https://www.coe.int/hu/web/comm...he-rule-of-l-1

http://www.enar-eu.org/Violence...ke-up-call-for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_brutality