Piper2s avatar Animals & Nature
14 95
@2646780

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts about this Brianl. I can't quite agree that the domestic abuse and or rape that some NFL players have been guilty of or been accused of don't hold "a candle" to what Vick did, but we sure do agree about the honoring of those people.

@2646780

Well said, Brian.

This is Richard Robinson Sr.
Apparently VT, like many others, cannot grasp the severity of Vick's crimes, since the victim's were only dogs.
But If running fast and jumping high qualifies as Hall of Fame criteria, then the dogs should be inducted, not Vick.
We Robinsons have no use for Michael Vick.

@TheRobinsonFamily This is Richard Robinson Sr. Apparently VT, like many others, cannot grasp the severity of Vick's crimes, since the...

That does seem to be the case. Perhaps some people don't actually know the severity of what he did, but I suspect that many just don't think the lives or suffering of animals are very important. sad smilie

@Piper2 That does seem to be the case. Perhaps some people don't actually know the severity of what he did, but I...

Since Vick's ability to run and jump is what qualifies him to be in the Hall of Fame, it seems to me that since the animals can probably run even faster and jump even higher, that THEIR lives are more important than his. Kind of ironic, really. The animals he abused are more important, according to HoF standards, than he.

Vick's name is mud. Nothing VT does can change that.

@PhilboydStudge Vick's name is mud. Nothing VT does can change that.

That is surely true, for many of us. Neither can his attempts to publicly try to make "amends" for the many years he chose to inflict suffering and death on countless dogs and other creatures.

He has had far more of a second chance than most people do, even for far less egregious crimes. That's all fine and dandy, I suppose, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be "honored" by a prestigious university.

Claudia Robinson here. The photo makes me want to cry. Shame on Virginia Tech.

@TheRobinsonFamily Claudia Robinson here. The photo makes me want to cry. Shame on Virginia Tech.

I understand. I'm not sure that photo is actually one of his victims, but I do know that many of them looked far worse when they were found.

@2646969

I don't think anyone is supporting Vick... Some of us are supporting a second chance... Not for Vick per say, but for all people who f' up and then honestly attempt to make up for screwing up.

Because haven't we all screwed something up?

Not to that Vick level of screw up of course... but getting rich quick make a lot of people idiots... that's why it has been said that most NFL players go bankrupt within 3 years of leaving the NFL... and said that a lot of lottery winners go bankrupt. Not an excuse, but since being arrested, he has seemed to attempt to correct himself... though he'll never be able to fully make up for his actions, he is still trying to (or so it currently seems)

Good for him! As his reward, they should let a pack of hungry dogs gnaw his flesh down to the bone.

Are we chatting about some NFL player here? How the hell does he have anything to do with anything else?

@ZonkeyBalls Are we chatting about some NFL player here? How the hell does he have anything to do with anything else?

He was a football player (at the most important position) in college at Virginia Tech were he helped them get a 22-2 record over two years.

He then went to the NFL... after about 6 years in the NFL (were he became a poster boy with his face everywhere due to his speed) he then got caught owning a property where he and his family had a huge dog fighting and gambling activities going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick
Vick admitted to providing most of the financing for the operation, and to participating directly in several dog fights in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and South Carolina. He admitted to sharing in the proceeds from these dog fights. He further admitted that he knew his colleagues killed several dogs who did not perform well. He admitted to being involved in the destruction of 6–8 dogs, by hanging or drowning.

I think he spent 3 years in prison

@Zolfie He was a football player (at the most important position) in college at Virginia Tech were he helped them get a...

Well, why on Earth would Virginia Tech want to remember him as one of the greats? He seems a total dick to me.

@ZonkeyBalls Well, why on Earth would Virginia Tech want to remember him as one of the greats? He seems a total dick to me.

Because their best football season EVER was the 1999 season...when they only lost the National Champion Game and their second best football season EVER was the 2000 season.

Those were the two seasons where Michael Vick play at the most important football position (Quarterback) for Virginia Tech... so they had their best two seasons largely due to Micheal Vick playing for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...otball_seasons

Also honorable mention to their 1954... 8-0-1 record, which one could argue was a better season, but it was against weaker opponents and finished 16th ranked overall.

@ZonkeyBalls Fucking Americans...

He was one of their best on the field and became one of their worse off the field (his brother was worse).

But he also has SEEMED to sincerely try real hard at cleaning up his act and staying out of trouble since getting out of prison. He has SEEMED to try to become a good man since then.

I can't tell you if it's real or if he just hasn't been caught. But sometimes people get a second chance and do a lot of good with it. I hope that is what he is doing.

@Piper2 Actually Zolfie, he only spent 18 or 19 of his 23 month sentence in prison...

Thank you for the correction. I was trying to move quickly at the time, and saw two places that he got 3 year sentence, and clearly wrote "I think". It looks like the 3 year sentence was suspended or something and he got less time like you said.

@Zolfie Thank you for the correction. I was trying to move quickly at the time, and saw two places that he got 3 year...

It wasn't a correction, really, just a fact I thought you might like to know. I did manage to get one link in with the question, in the source part. Although it isn't actually the "source" of this one, it does mention his actual prison time served, and the months he was sentenced to.

@Piper2 It wasn't a correction, really, just a fact I thought you might like to know. I did manage to get one link in...

tomato - tamata

The point was explaining how the items connected, to each other, to someone that didn't know, and explaining that he did a very bad thing and went to prison.

@2647193

And wrong you are for being a jack@ss about it. You didn't try explaining it to the man, you just criticize others who try to help.

I also made an honest statement, adding the word thinking to it, and you have to be a jack@ss about an honest mistake.

@2647267

I'm sorry, I'm pretty dang tired, and missed the sarcasm by a mile. I guess I saw that face and wrongly thought it was towards me. Again, sorry about that.

@2647165

I would imagine there is pretty big difference between 18 or 19 months as opposed to 36, for those spending those months in prison.
I didn't need to look that up at this time, by the way. I read about his time served back in 2009....

@2646693

Neither do I, Maze. I'm pretty sure a player's character is a factor in them being honored by an institution in this way, though. Virginia Tech supposedly has such a "standard", anyway.

Pathetic and a slap in the face of his victims

I would not be in favor of the move. He may be totally rehabilitated but that doesn't mean he should be honored. This wasn't some on time bad judgement issue of youth. This was a lengthy process of torture and a huge character flaw.

@Will_Janitor I would not be in favor of the move. He may be totally rehabilitated but that doesn't mean he should be honored...

Yes indeed, to everything you said.

I do not get the feeling that he is "rehabilitated" or remorseful about what he so willfully chose to do for so many years. Even IF though...

As someone that rescued a pit bull that was a treated like Vick allowed, I have no use for him but, it is all about money. That's why VT is doing this, money and only money. It has gotten them in the headlines again, good or bad, and that's where the money is. I don't fault Vick, let him work to make amends for his actions. VT on the other hand is the scurrilous one in this story.

@Piper2 He can make his insincere "amends" for actions all he wants.

Awe, your assuming his amends can't be sincere. Your assumptions could be correct, of course they might not be as well.

But as long as one stays on the good path does it matter?

@Zolfie Awe, your assuming his amends can't be sincere. Your assumptions could be correct, of course they might not be as...

Yes, that is all true. The times I've heard him speak about his horrific cruelty and getting caught and sentenced, his remorse sounded more about what happened to him, rather than about the suffering he chose to fund and inflict.

I do hope he's really changed, and doesn't think it's entertaining, or okay, to hurt animals anymore...

No real thoughts, they were 22-2 over two years with Vick at the most important position and he excited everyone who follow them.

I can understand the backlash over this move, but I feel like most schools would do this sooner or later and they probably just felt like getting it over with, since most of the backlash was thought to have brown over.

Though I'm very happy that Virginia Tech's Veterinary Dean blasted the move (and rightfully so, seeing as they're the veterinary dean IMO)... could lose credibility if they don't blast him.

I have no idea if the guy is a better person or not, but he has seemed to stay out of trouble (at least not getting caught)... he can't undo the past even if he wants to... are we gonna hold this against him until his grave? past his grave?

Maybe we should, maybe we shouldn't. But I think there should be a balance.

@Zolfie No real thoughts, they were 22-2 over two years with Vick at the most important position and he excited everyone...

I will be holding it against him, because I've read the details of what he chose to do. He didn't even have any monetary "need" to do it, he just chose to.

I think it's just fine that he's gotten his "second chance". He was reinstated back into the NFL making over a million for the first season, he only served 18 months in prison for his horrific crimes, and he's had numerous defenders all along the way.
He finally married his devoted girlfriend, has a bigger family, and is still living luxuriously.
I do not wish him harm, I just don't think he really deserves to be receiving any prestigious honors.

@Piper2 I will be holding it against him, because I've read the details of what he chose to do. He didn't even have any...

I can respect that view very much.

But at the same time, I believe people deserve second chances, to learn and grow as well.

I don't think the Falcons should ever honor him... as his crimes came while with the Falcons.... but as far as I know, he was a good person while with Virginia Tech and to my knowledge has stayed out of trouble since.

@Zolfie I can respect that view very much. But at the same time, I believe people deserve second chances, to learn and...

Thank you, and I respect yours as well.

So do I, and he has certainly had them.

I do doubt though, that Vick could have been a "good" person when he was being glorified for his football skills at Virginia Tech, since he proceeded to choose to torture, kill and abuse countless animals, after his contract with the Falcons maybe two years later.
As I recall, that contract guaranteed that he'd be paid over 15 million in first few years, yet he still chose to do what he did.

@2646690

Evidently, Virginia Tech has chosen to honor him in spite of his very dishonorable past actions.
I don't have much of an opinion on football awards either, except when those chosen to be honored have done far worse than be "dishonorable". Vick will be inducted into VT's Hall Of Fame, almost surely, for his outstanding contribution to their winning football team.....

Could have had an outstanding NFL career.I found him a very exciting player to watch and everyone deserves a chance of rehabilitation but this is a move too far.Eveyone should turn up with their pet dog and embarrass him!

@ThePrinceofWales Could have had an outstanding NFL career.I found him a very exciting player to watch and everyone deserves a chance...

I doubt if that would embarrass him very much, Blewynanifail. The man shamelessly whined about not being able have a "pet" dog, during the time he was restricted from that privilege.

He felt it was "unfair" that his daughter was denied her wish to have a dog, simply because he spent at least 7 years willfully and happily torturing them and countless other creatures.

@2646436

I did try to delete this question, due to the photo not showing up, or the link that was intended to be there with it.

I do appreciate you replying, SynysterGates. Personally though, I don't see any kind of comparison between those two football players, as far as egregious acts.

@2646460

I see. So you think an NFL player who has refused to stand up when his country's national anthem is being played, is in the same "category" as the one who bankrolled and participated in torturing countless dogs and other animals?

FYI- Thanks for telling me, but I did know that.

@2646460

Why did you get a new username?

Tired of the funk? ;P

@2646806

Did you have to start a new account to switch names or can any of us switch at anytime?

@2646460

Marky Mark Jeesh I liked marky mark, why did you switch.

@2646436

Yeah he was overrated because he was too cocky and never learned how proper footwork while he was still in his prime and he basically later admitted so... because he was too young and cocky.

He could run like the wind, and throw a great deep ball, but he struggled with other throws and concepts that were needed to be great.... and he never took the time to learned them.

@2646574

People have a hard time forgiving assaults on young children or pets (especially dogs), because people see them as so innocent, loving and caring.

@2646574

Not wishing harm on someone who has willfully inflicted much suffering and death on numerous other beings, is a way different thing than honoring them with a prestigious award.

I can't "forgive" what he chose to do (even though he had wealth and fame), but that has little to do his receiving accolades from this university.

Besides professionals, industrials, traders, breeders, etc., there is a considerable number of celebrities, business people, political leaders, artists, athletes, etc. at all levels, having been involved in abuse and cruelty against people, animals, or both.

In the past, there was little concern for animals and in many parts of the world, "traditions", practices and mentalities did not change.

Examples:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_fighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockfight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullfighting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear-baiting
etc.

https://www.peta.org/issues/ani...-clothing/fur/
https://www.peta.org/issues/ani...ath-fast-lane/
https://www.theodysseyonline.co...ehind-cuteness

And cruelty against animals can easily lead to abuse against people:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/e...b0aec9f35534bf

http://www.thegloss.com/culture...olent-pasts/2/

My thoughts?

That animal abuse has never been, and probably never will be, taken seriously.

@dru18 My thoughts? That animal abuse has never been, and probably never will be, taken...

I hope you're wrong about that, Dru. It does seem to me that at least more people are, these days.

@dru18 Has to make it to the courts. Only then, will I breath a little easier.

Yes, and that does seem to have improved some in the last several years. We can call legislators, sign petitions, and do whatever we can when we see abuse to animals, and that is about it.

Many people do not take animal abuse very seriously, on that we definitely agree.

@2646938

No questions. I do not, however, in any way condone shooting the man.

If that German Shepherd bit off part of his face or something, though, or if one of those animals he tortured to death had pulled him into the "electrocution pool" he delighted in? I would consider that justice....

@2647036

Yeah, I got that. You would "accidentally" shoot Vick, on purpose.....

@2647061

Ah oh....that isn't what you meant, then?

The guy did his time and now travels around the country speaking out against the very thing that he was convicted of. That should be considered. We've all got something to be ashamed of. The question is,"How do we attone for the wrong we have done?" He was a phenom who did something terrible and has worked hard to make amends. Is he sincere? Maybe, maybe not but everyone fucks up and should get a second chance to prove themselves.

@JerryHendrickson The guy did his time and now travels around the country speaking out against the very thing that he was convicted...

He spent 18 or 19 months in prison. Not for his egregious cruelty to countless dogs and other animals, but for his funding of illegal dog fighting and gambling operations.

He has certainly had a "second chance", in many ways. Most of us do not have such horrific wrongs to atone for, I HOPE. I agree that people should have that chance, Jerry, and he has. I've never heard or read anything he's said though, that sounded like actual remorse about the horrendous cruelty he funded and actively participated in.

This question is about him being inducted into Virginia Tech's Hall Of Fame, though. One their criteria for inductees supposedly includes this..."Must be of good character and reputation/not have been a source of embarrassment to the university in any way".

@Piper2 He spent 18 or 19 months in prison. Not for his egregious cruelty to countless dogs and other animals, but for his...

I agree Piper. His moral conduct should be a part of his receiving any honors. I do feel he will always carry the scandal with him. Once a thug always a thug. I know how that's how I veiw him.
Somewhere deep down he must have liked what he was doing to those poor dogs. I don't think people change their thought process. Like child abusers and pedophiles. A mindset with no cure.

@Piper2 He evidently liked it quite a lot, Barb. :(

The thought of those dogs makes me ill. I just signed a petition for harsher sentences on dog fighting. They are the innocents of this vile, so called sport😞

That was over 10 years ago and all of the replies on this post are filled with hatred. He spends his times working against dog fighting. I'm sure all of you hold no shame for anything.

@JerryHendrickson That was over 10 years ago and all of the replies on this post are filled with hatred. He spends his times working...

I agree and your first comment above gave me pause. I had not expected someone to come up with good reasons to forgive the man, but you did.

Me personally? I don't really care one way or the other. I do think though that there are many people who will never forget the crime, regardless of his attempts to make amends.

But you're right. Who among us can cast the first stone?

A few them are, but certainly not ALL. Of course most everyone feels shame over something they've done, or not done.

@Piper2 A few them are, but certainly not ALL. Of course most everyone feels shame over something they've done, or...

That's probably a good reason for us to forgive people; especially when they're showing positive change. Dogfighting? Terrible. Murderers often get a 2nd chance after killing a person, it doesn't excuse him, just a comparison.

I don't know who he is - no sports in my life. Is he the pitbull torture guy? No what is nasty, dogs are supposed to be our buddies and play nice together not trained to kill each other.

He's an extremely talented and successful member from their community and his successes deserved to be immortalized at his alma mater. He has served his time and apologized for his crimes and he's not that same person, the Vick family has had a pet dog and he has not been charged with any more dogfighting. Plus he's been a pretty darn good humanitarian, Virginia Tech knows what they're doing.

@Skr3wBall He's an extremely talented and successful member from their community and his successes deserved to be immortalized...

Well yeah, I figure many people do know that he was an acclaimed football talent when attending Virginia Tech, and after acquiring his $62 million contract with the NFL.
It was right after that, when he chose to fund and participate in the wide scale torture and abuse of countless dogs and other animals for 7 years or so.

I think it's great that he's publicly trying to make amends for all the years he chose to do that, and thanks for your thoughts about his pending Hall of Fame honor.

What does someone being a piece of shit have to do with the Hall of Fame? A skilled sports player is a skilled sports player. If you do the best, you earn the reward.

@StickCaveman What does someone being a piece of shit have to do with the Hall of Fame? A skilled sports player is a skilled...

One of Virginia Tech's criteria for their sports Hall of Fame inductees is:

"Must be of good character and reputation/not have been a source of embarrassment to the university in any way."

DESPICABLE.SOME DON'T FORGET.

I have no use for Michael Vick. I am sadly disappointed in the choice that Virginia Tech made with his one. ono smilie

Only one thought on this. ill smilie

@Thinkerbell Only one thought on this...

This "honor" is certainly in question, for many. I too feel sad and even ill, when reminded of the suffering and death this honoree chose to fund and participate in, by his being chosen as a Virginia Tech Hall Of Fame inductee...