You bought a large plot of land to build a condo: you find out that there are 400 graves underneath. The graves are from about the 1819s. What to do...what to do...

How do you think this issue could be resolved? If at all...

Image for post **You bought a large plot of land to build a condo: you find out that there are 400 graves underneath. The graves are from about the 1819s.**  //What to do...what to do...//
Sukiesnows avatar Books
10 23
@2649779

That's just an anger reaction...

It's a good conundrum, right? I can't wait to see what might happen...

@2649781

True. And I should have said: condonundrum instead, ha...

@2649783

I know! It's very odd, but apparently there was a time in the early 1800s - probably during a War or something - when they either lacked resources or the time/manpower to deal with this sort of situation.

Everywhere is a grave if you dig deep enough.

Move them with dignity and get on with the building.Archaeolgists dig up bones all the time.

@ThePrinceofWales Move them with dignity and get on with the building.Archaeolgists dig up bones all the time.

Good idea but: Do you know what the cost of doing this would be? Hundreds of thousands of dollars... So who should pay for this...

After all there are 400 bodies...

Can I still make a soup out of those bones?

I'm guessing the people were white. People here tend to show less respect for Indigenous Peoples' graves.

I agree with Blewy. Move them as best you can (within a reasonable amount of time and effort) to a group memorial site elsewhere, then proceed with the condo construction. Even if you're not able to recover every remnant, you will have shown respect.

@JanHaskell I agree with Blewy. Move them as best you can (within a reasonable amount of time and effort) to a group memorial...

Do you know what the cost of doing this would be? Hundreds of thousands of dollars... So who should pay for this...

After all there are 400 bodies...

@Sukiesnow Do you know what the cost of doing this would be? Hundreds of thousands of dollars... So who should pay for...

You couldn't do a "thorough" job. But you're already excavating, so you can have the workers set aside any obvious bones they encounter. If the community is already aware of the situation, they will probably expect some gesture; they may even want to participate in the funding.

@JanHaskell You couldn't do a "thorough" job. But you're already excavating, so you can have the workers set aside any obvious...

True.

But...the deaths were in the early 1800s...altho they did mention that someone buried there was also a "founder" of something in the community.

This is really happening where I live....I'm curious to see what they will do...

It sounded like they had a lot of deaths at that time...as some of them aren't listed...they were probably hurriedly buried...

I'd probably try to reverse the sale. Whether I'm personally alright with living on top of 400 graves or not, one could reasonably expect it would have a negative effect on the saleability of the condos, and thus the economic viability of the project. As far as I know, sellers are obligated to mention details like that up front.

I'd call in an authority who could tell me the story of why so many were buried there and then see if they could be moved. I'm pretty respectful of historical sites so would want an investigation. I wouldn't want to lose any money but it wouldn't be the first priority.

I shouldn't suspect the 400 buried would mind overly much.

I would have checked out the purchase/land much better before spending the money to buy it.