Can you believe people are actually buying 'bone broth' at specialty stores? We've been boiling our garbage for generations.

Broth, stock, consommé, aspic, whatever you call that thick flavorful extract of all the bones and vegetable peels that most people toss in the waste bin. We have always kept these trimming in a bag in the freezer until we had a pot full. Boil them for several hours, portion into cups and freeze the nectar. Use this for every savory recipe that calls for water or broth. Practically free to make and, apparently healthy as all get-out.

Here we see leek tops, carrot skins, celery heals, mushroom stems, onion skins, pepper cores, a duck carcass, a couple of chicken carcasses and some beef bones, plus herb stems, cabbage leaves and tomato cores.

Image for post Can you believe people are actually buying 'bone broth' at specialty stores?  We've been boiling our garbage for generations.
36% Of course 45% Nope 18% Other
VicZincs avatar Food & Drink
7 10

How in the hell do I comment on something I know absolutely nothing about... Oh, right, I know the way!

Use broth for everything from boiling potatoes to making soups and stews. Try it for braising pot roasts, poaching fish or eggs, even in place of milk in your bread recipes. So much flavor for so little effort.

It is ridiculous what people are paying and how quickly this is selling

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Of course +2Reply

I don't buy bone broth at the store. I boil my own garbage...A pressure cooker speeds up the process.

I've been cooking a long time and I've never heard of this....

@StarzAbove I've been cooking a long time and I've never heard of this....

it is just going more than chicken broth, all the marrow in those bones are great for you, I noticed last time i got a raw chicken, the store had removed all the innards, they are selling them now or sending it to a rendering plant.

Of course. I'd also be the one to buy. I cook sporadically...so it would make sense for me to buy it.

It's just like the people who say: Can you imagine buying Pesto sauce when ALL it takes is some Basil and olive oil in a blender?

Well, yes...it does make sense for some people to buy it.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Of course +1Reply

I don't have bones in my garbage because I don't eat corpses.

I don't think bones are trash, I always save bones in the freezer till i have a lot then I cook it down in the slow cooker. Long enough that I eventually can chew up the bones, chicken bones. That broth is full of protein and calcium, great for my bones.

Anonymous