Hurricane Irma, the strongest hurricane in history, mandatory evacuations have been ordered, yet the TV stations put their reporters out in it. They tell others to take shelter, but they seem to be OK with risking the lives of their reporters, doesn't make a bit of sense to me. What are your thoughts?

I've seen debris flying around close one of the reporters, he could have been killed, but I guess they feel they have to get the news out.

Irma Makes Landfall in Florida, CNN Reporter Gets Battered Live on Air as Hurricane Slams FloridaEd Lavandera 9/10/2017 Napleshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C8KzTiXFkY
StarzAboves avatar People & Celebrities
10 14

Irma wasn't the strongest one in history. It lasted longer as the category five than any other hurricane in history, but when it comes to the measured wind speeds, it wasn't the number one. Now, that it's down to category two, the real danger comes from the flooding. I just hope the reporters know how to float with all of that gear they are carrying around.

@ZonkeyBalls Irma wasn't the strongest one in history. It lasted longer as the category five than any other hurricane in...

According to the news reports here in the states, they are telling us it is the strongest! But, what do they know. Anyway, it's a baddie!

Hopefully the flooding won't be as bad as it is in Houston, and other cities in Texas.

@2651601

That might happen....

@2651601

Maybe they can surf?

No one is forcing them to go, they gladly go for the glory, it's not the first time reporters are willing to put themselves on the line for a career.

My guess is that the more risks they take, the less likely they'll get that surprise email from network producers saying that they are being relegated from prime time action news reporter to covering lawn bowls.

Totally stupid, unnecessary and encourages the public to be dare devils.

They could place fixed cameras to watch the storms.
Standing in the storm while telling people to leave because of the danger sends a mixed, confusing message.

Someday one of these dopes is going to get hammered by debris - maybe hurt or killed. Putting more people in danger to rescue his dumb ass. Then, they will lionize him for his courage.

@Budwick Totally stupid, unnecessary and encourages the public to be dare devils. They could place fixed cameras to watch...

I agree. The public doesn't need to see the minute by minute force of the storm. I feel sorry for those reporters and their camera man!

They do it for ratings, I think it's stupid. It's mostly just American news that does it though. Canadian news isn't as sensationalist.

Just proves...some people will do anything for ratings..