Do you sometimes worry about speaking too much of your mind because your opinion might hurt someone you like?

primeiros avatar Relationships
13 90

Yup, but truth is, if they ask for my opinion, I'll tell it. I don't have to be an asshole about it, though. Some people seem to think for you to be honest, you have to be rude. Not true.

A light example: I went shopping with a friend. She asked me if a light yellow shirt looked good on her. I didn't like the sleeves, and I'm not a big fan of yellow in general, and I said it. She's a little sensitive with stuff like that, and I could have said "Sure it's good" because I knew she liked the shirt, but that's not what I thought. She was a little bothered with what I said, and I told her: "If you like it, buy it. I'm not the one that's going to wear it, it's you. You are the one that has to like it." She bought it and was happy with it.

Sometimes though, I just keep my mouth shut. Somethings don't need my input.

@Sofia Yup, but truth is, if they ask for my opinion, I'll tell it. I don't have to be an asshole about it, though. Some...

Hi, happy to see you around. biggrin smilie

Yeah, I completely agree with you that being honest doesn't necessarily mean being rude. Yes, some people kind of mix the two things, and then criticize others for not liking their honesty, when the problem is actually the rudeness / the way they say it.

Damn, I'm wearing a light-yellow shirt. (Just kidding, lol - I mean, the part about the shirt is true, but the "damn" is just joking)

And yeah, some things usually don't need to be said. :P

@primeiro Hi, happy to see you around. Yeah, I completely agree with you that being honest doesn't necessarily...

Hey :D

Yeah, that annoys me sometimes. Sure, be honest, but learn manners first before accusing others of not appreciating your "honesty". Like you said, sometimes people are more bothered with how the words are said than the opinion itself. (But it is true that some people ask for honesty, then when they get it, civil and all, they get pissed. Sometimes you can never win)

Loool xD

@2654313

Agreed. Some people think "having a filter" = "hindering free speech".

@2654319

Yeah! That happens way too often.

Depends.

If, for example, someone directly asks for my honest opinion I will give it regardless of whether or not it may hurt him/her. Another example would be a discussion of politics in which everyone is expressing his or her opinions. I would certainly give mine regardless of what someone else may believe.

However it's not always necessary to give your opinion. Ask yourself; Why am I giving my opinion? What is the nature of the discussion? Is there anything to be gained? Is there anything to be lost?

Discretion is becoming a lost art.

@2654893

Thank you for joining. :) Yeah, I'd say all the time for me too.

That's why it's always good to be open minded

I don't want to hurt anyone, even those, I don't like.

@dru18 I don't want to hurt anyone, even those, I don't like.

Fuck them. Why spare anybody's feelings? ESPECIALLY if you don't like them

@JayDubbed Fuck them. Why spare anybody's feelings? ESPECIALLY if you don't like them

Because I am not that way. Even if something is true, who wants to hear that shit.

@2663765

LOL! You are not the only one who has thought my avatar was a doggie.

I took it from "white panther" and gave him a tie and glasses. Made him sharp looking. :)

@primeiro lol - I can't say I remember.

He was as old as dirt, real conservative, and mean. He was the kind of person, you just knew, was hitting little kids with his cane. LOL!

@dru18 He was as old as dirt, real conservative, and mean. He was the kind of person, you just knew, was hitting little...

Ah. Lol. I never met that user. But the version with the glasses and the tie does looks much better. :D

@primeiro Ah. Lol. I never met that user. But the version with the glasses and the tie does looks much better. :D

Lucky you, my friend. He chased me around four posts, saying he was going to kick my ass, and then finally blocked me.

Thank you ! It makes him look more GQish. :)

@dru18 Lucky you, my friend. He chased me around four posts, saying he was going to kick my ass, and then finally blocked...

Lol, it's actually good that he blocked. That way you got rid of him without having to do anything. :P :)

I hope you've been well.

@primeiro Lol, it's actually good that he blocked. That way you got rid of him without having to do anything. :P :) I hope...

Oh he was a piece of work, along with some other mentally unhinge ones on that site. "without having to do anything"?? I was too busy running, and covering my butt. LOL!

I have been as fine as frog's hair. School is challenging this semester, but so far, so good. Hope all is going well with you, and your loved ones.

@2669269

I agree, but think they would have been ten times worse on SH.

Fef was a Christian Conservative, so they could do no wrong in his eyes.

@dru18 Oh he was a piece of work, along with some other mentally unhinge ones on that site. "without having to do...

Looool. xD

Happy to hear! Glad to know that school is going well too. Yeah, thankfully all going well for me. :)

One takes a chance when they put out an opinion or a question... Both can become awkward...and it can get also get awkward when people start to think you are attached to your posts.

Any question or post can become hurtful... That's a risk we posters take. We just hope people won't also take them personally and then block you but, oh, alas and alack...that does happen. Some people on here want life to be peaches and cream...ALL the time. Life's not like that so...why should we be?

@2656033

Thank you Bubby.

@2654077

Now come on those dead guys no longer care for sure, they aren't gods just dead musicians.

@2665344

gods are roman greek egyptian there were many gods in the past.

I spent my childhood speaking my mind and continuously upsetting my parents and teachers and adults in general. Then I did it with my employers but I learned to be tactful over time in order to keep my jobs.

I'd rather give real answers and opinions than something that sounds intelligent and feels good, but answers or solves nothing. Over sensitive people who need coddled make me want to puke smilie

No I can say whatever in a way that will not hurt someone. Good thing because I can't just say nothing when it needs to be said.

sometimes so I put on a grin instead or a serious face depends

Only if its my wife I'm worried about hurting

@AliceD No.

Thank you for joining. :)

It's definitely been an issue when posting questions about various health and body issues; I try to be as careful as I can. Excellent post, by the way.

Yes. It is rare that I actually wish to hurt anyone with my words, whether I like them or not.

@Piper2 Yes. It is rare that I actually wish to hurt anyone with my words, whether I like them or not.

Thank you for joining. :)
And, thinking about it, I guess I actually didn't need to include "you like" at the end of the question, lol. :P :)

@primeiro Thank you for joining. :) And, thinking about it, I guess I actually didn't need to include "you like" at the end...

Many people think trying to hurt others with their words is just fine, when they don't like them at the moment, for whatever reason. I've seen and experienced it, and I think your question a very good one, the way it is.

@Piper2 Many people think trying to hurt others with their words is just fine, when they don't like them at the...

Yeah, unfortunately that's very true. Sometimes people believe they're "entitled" to offending.
And thank you. :)
Your thoughtful comments are always appreciated and nice to have on my posts. :)

@2663736

Thank you for joining. :)

@2663742

I'm here for a while now - I joined in April 2016.
Before that, I was in SodaHead (I believe you were there too, if I recall correctly).

@2663748

I remember, yes. :)

And yeah, I actually still miss that site too. I like it here in its own unique way, but SH was great in its own way too.

@2663760

Yeah, that's very true - SH did have a friendlier interface for pictures and videos.

@2663747

Thank you for the additional input. :)
I understand that. There is really nothing wrong with just giving your honest reply.
On here it's all mostly text, so it's sometimes hard to give a reply without seeming coarse.

@2663769

I think I have been on both sides. lol (both having my replies misconstrued, and misconstruing someone else's comment)

Everyone has a filter between brain and mouth....some more than others..

Some things are just better off not being said...but that's up to each person to decide....and live with.

yes i do get worred