PartyOfOnes avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
9 57
@2658994

I still have to say that using the baton as hard and as often as he used it seems to me overkill and cruel. I can't comment on her part of the issue since I haven't seen it - still, I appreciate your input... it does lend some balance so thank you :)

@2659264

I'll admit to the day-in, day-out effects of abuse towards law enforcement personnel - I can appreciate the psychological aspects that they'd have to sort through, adapt to, and reign-in, not to mention too much of the pressures within the department they work within - that must be a pressure cooker.

With all that said, and all that the woman may have done, I still stand firm that what he had done should not be excusable, nor should a punishment be lightened.

Once again, thank you for all your efforts to make this a fairer issue than the smaller contribution that I had originally made.

@2658994

Now it's completely different when we hear the full story, otherwise when you see a big bad cop beating a small woman with a baton of course all hate shifts to the law.

@2658994

Thanks Brian. Someone needed to say this.

They should do more psychological tests on cops before they become cops. Power-hungry bastard.

@Sukiesnow They should do more psychological tests on cops before they become cops. Power-hungry bastard.

I coudn't agree more - certainly more thorough tests and a stricter behavioral policy for anyone going out into the field.

Thanks for your input, cherie :)

@2658995

It obviously is not good enough.

@2653921

and infuriating that the department would send anyone like him out in the field.

Thanks for your comment and the link - I'll check it out now ;)

@2653921

I'm surprised the cop was cleared of any wrongdoing prior to the release of the video, especially when you compare what he did to what she might've done - what an effed-up mindset the department has and gets away with.

There's an old English saying that goes "Don't pick up fag ends." 'Fag ends' being slang for cigarette butts. The concept is, don't jump to conclusions about an interaction between two people based solely on the few seconds you just saw, as that can be misleading. This video looks like a classic example.

On the face of it, it looks like the officer is being unnecessarily violent, and for all I know that might be the case, but I didn't get to see everything that led up to those few seconds of footage, the video doesn't show how the situation started or how it developed, only how it ended, making the video a classic fag end. So I'll resist the urge to pass judgement, that's for others to decide anyway, but it definitely doesn't look good.

I hope it goes without saying I don't mean any homophobic shit by saying fag ends, it's just old British slang that has nothing to do with that subject. But, for the sake of clarity in the age of PC...

I have mixed emotions about this, she might have provoked him, wouldn't obey, and he had to take action. Just looks like he could have went about it in a different manner, like tazing her instead beating with a club...just my opinion.

@StarzAbove I have mixed emotions about this, she might have provoked him, wouldn't obey, and he had to take action. Just...

I would have rather she was tazed, once - twice if completely necessary - many officers go overboard with that, too.

Thanks for your input, Starz, I appreciate it :)

@PartyOfOne I would have rather she was tazed, once - twice if completely necessary - many officers go overboard with that...

I've always thought when there is a police shooting/killing, why didn't they just taze that person before shooting.

@StarzAbove I've always thought when there is a police shooting/killing, why didn't they just taze that person before shooting.

I've often thought the same. I guess it depends a lot on the speed at which altercations develop and the likelihood that the perp's advantage is at a higher level (?)

@PartyOfOne I've often thought the same. I guess it depends a lot on the speed at which altercations develop and the likelihood...

That's true, and emotions run high when in a life/death situation! I had a friend who was a cop, and he watched his back all the time, even in a restaurant he would never sit with his back to a door for fear of getting shot. That would be pretty terrible to live like that.

@2659268

I agree. We just never know for sure what has happened to provoke this behavior. I do know that the cops have a very tough job, they never know when a person will turn violent and shoot them. We had a cop in the area who went to help an accident victim, and the driver of the car shot and killed the cop, for no reason whatsoever. Go figure that one.

@2658975

Not a bad idea.

Thanks for your input ;)

@2658975

You can only change your name twice on Amirite.

@Sukiesnow You can only change your name twice on Amirite.

True, but how does that fit into this issue? I'm missing something :)

@Sukiesnow That was for Markymark.

Ahhh... I didn't tie that in with the whole thread, hierarchy thing; some days I'm not terribly on-the-ball :) Thank you ;D

Have to agree.Some people should never be cops.

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/vi...6489042099.mp4

The footage above is from a Daily Mail this news article: http:www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4686296/Video-shows-Georgia-cop-beating-homeless-woman-baton.html
乂ᴼₒᴼ乂

@2659005

It took its name from Baron Johann de Kalb who fought in the American Revolutionary War - Google search for more information.

Oh that is extremely sad. He should have handled the situation better in my opinion.

🦋

I am afraid that we see increasingly police, soldiers and other representatives of authorities overreacting or abusing, in a climate of violence, hate, fear, speed and extreme performance demands, where weaker, poorer, naive, disbled or somewhat different people, are still widely considered as a threat or as the ideal scapegoats.
And violence toward children and women is still considered by too many as normal or as unimportant "failures" - as a consequence, also police forces tend to follow such ideas.

There is no excuse for police violence, but there is also a problem with the whole system - with governments, organisations, justice, leaders, economy, health control, education and further training, values, superstitions, political influences and beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P..._United_States

@Marianne I am afraid that we see increasingly police, soldiers and other representatives of authorities overreacting or...

Thank you, Marianne, for your generous, insightful contribution - it's appreciated :) I hope you and those you care about have been well in every sense of the word :)

@PartyOfOne Thank you, Marianne, for your generous, insightful contribution - it's appreciated :) I hope you and those you care...

You're very welcome, Party Of One, and thank you for your kind words. Right now, I am dealing with sad news, but I hope that I can do the right things.

@Marianne You're very welcome, Party Of One, and thank you for your kind words. Right now, I am dealing with sad news, but I...

I'm troubled by the pressure that must be weighing on your mind. Please feel free to be in-touch if there's any form of relief I could give.

@PartyOfOne I'm troubled by the pressure that must be weighing on your mind. Please feel free to be in-touch if there's any...

Thank you very much, Party Of One, your kind words are already helping a lot.

I am quite aware that all of us have to carry a heavy burden.

@Marianne Thank you very much, Party Of One, your kind words are already helping a lot. I am quite aware that all of us have...

As you wish... still, if needs change, I won't retract the offer - I'll leave that up to you, of course.

Best wishes. hugs

@PartyOfOne As you wish... still, if needs change, I won't retract the offer - I'll leave that up to you, of course. Best...

Thank you so much, Party of one; I will come back to you, of course, but by private message. l smiliesmile smilie

If only our society lived up to it's own ideals of justice

@Willcooper If only our society lived up to it's own ideals of justice

I'm with you on that issue.

Thanks for posting your feedback, it's appreciated :)

It's reprehensible. I always say I'd die rather than live homeless. You're not safe from: the elements, robbery, abuse, rape, or murder. The truth is, people living in homelessness are seen as animals. They're blamed for their situation. They're targets. It's sick. These are our fellow human beings. There's no excuse for this.

Inhuman for any reason

@2659761

Just the same, thank you for your willingness to post as much as you have... that's appreciated.

@2665342

Food for thought :)

Thanks for posting your views, that's appreciated.

Anonymous