+12

There's no room for racism in life - that's easy enough - just be careful what you say....but it doesn't change who you really are if you are racist deep down inside.

It's bad racism happened...now we are spending lifetimes getting over it... But how do you change if you are deep down a racist - how do you change what has been true for you growing up - I'm talking about Black & White racism, for the most part. Paula Dean was brought up in the South - while she was silly enough to say the N word...can you ever really change something that was true for you for most of your life?

Image for post **There's no room for racism in life** - that's easy enough - just be careful what you say....//but it doesn't change who you really are if you are racist deep down inside.//
Sukiesnows avatar Animals & Nature
8 19

Education is the path to change. Only a person who chooses to remain ignorant is incapable of change.

ASPD's answer.

+ Seems being white automatically makes you a racist these days.

It's not saying the word as much as the intent behind it. I can easily make a racist statement without using any racial slur and I can say the racial slur without having any racist intent. Avoiding racial slurs doesn't make you any better than others. Which sounds worse? " I think people of African decent should not be able to vote" or " Crackers, chinks, niggers, spics we are all human"

@Chris_the_Demon Both sound horrible.

Words only have the power that people bestow upon them

@Sunny_the_skeptic Words only have the power that people bestow upon them

I agree.

And we, as a society, have bestowed the word "nigger" with much power because of what it has come to represent.

It is not just a slur bigots use to dehumanize black people. The word "nigger" has come to represent centuries of hatred and violence. It is inexorably linked with slavery, whips and leg irons, lynching, Jim Crow, burning crosses, segregation, etc... all the evil and immoral things inflicted upon a group of people simply because of the color of their skin.

Now I certainly think your right when you speak about intent. Surely one can be a racist without ever using a racial slur. However words do matter. The people who use slurs like "nigger" (or kike or faggot or spic or chink, etc...) know that, which is exactly why they use them. We know it also, which is why intelligent and civilized people find them so repellent.

@Chris_the_Demon I agree. And we, as a society, have bestowed the word "nigger" with much power because of what it has come to...

Exactly, I don't think we should fear words themselves, this way we give them power over us, racism isn't something one does with words, it comes from the inside in how they talk, how they view people of other races.

I have witnessed an evolution of the populace's definition of the term "racist" during the course of my lifetime. When I was growing up during the '50s it was a pretty clearly understood term. But nowadays, some sixty years later, the word is overused to label anybody who may disagree with anything a person of color may say, even if it is only an opinion about something that is happening in current events of the day.

@2655416

Amen to that.

Anonymous