Can you remember a time when the media wasn't telling you to fear or hate something?

My earliest memories of the media causing fear was in the early 60's with the Cuban missile crisis. I can't say that I remember much time since that there wasn't something or someone that was going to cause the end of times. The new ice age in the 70's, the earth quake to end all in CA, race riots across the country, killer bees out of Mexico, nuclear melt downs around the world, global warming, climate change, aspartame, oil spills, Arafat, Gaddafi, Khomeini, Khrushchev, Brezhnev, Mao, Bush, Kennedy, Carter, Nixon, Trump, Clinton, Kim, Pol Pot, Bin Laden, etc.

It makes it hard for me to get excited about the next fear mongering story that the media and Hollywood cook up for tomorrow. No wonder half the free world is in a medicated stupor. JMHO

Image for post Can you remember a time when the media wasn't telling you to fear or hate something?
21% Yes,and this is when? 68% Nope 11% Other
Will_Janitors avatar People & Celebrities
11 40

The Cuban Missile Crisis actually WAS something to fear.
This was when... just the facts...Goodnight, Chet. Goodnight, David.

Bookyankas avatar Bookyanka Yes,and this is when? +6Reply
@Will_Janitor How many years did we stupidly crawl under desks because of 4 days in Oct?

I was in first grade in 1962, and I don't remember ever crawling under the desk then or years later. I know it happened, but maybe our school district didn't participate.

Bookyankas avatar Bookyanka Yes,and this is when? +1Reply
@2656800

I'll agree with you about some extreme weather, but even that gets a little out of hand with these people.

Remember Shepard Smith with Hurricane Matthew?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube video thumbnailameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a drama queen! :)

@Will_Janitor I'll agree with you about some extreme weather, but even that gets a little out of hand with these people...

I just watched the Shep Smith video you provided and I didn't see him go insane. He was very calm and quasi-persuasive and reminded people that evacuation orders are not optional or discretionary. It sounded more like a "better be safe than sorry" kind of a presentation than a hysterical "run for your life" rant.

I don't consider them reporting what's going on in the world, fear or hate, to get us upset or worried. It's just the way the world is, and I want to hear what they have to say.

There are many things, that people have actually missed over the years.

This planet has been doomed so many times and yet somehow we have managed to carry on. Some of the real heroes were to be blamed and shamed for their cowardice, even when there was no reason to do so. Back in the days, when early warning systems for a nuclear attack couldn't really tell shit, our beloved own star, Sol, caused a false alarm in the Soviet system. And it was up to one person to either wipe us all off this bloody Earth or stay convinced, that it was a false alarm.

Apparently, there were five nuclear missiles on the air. Now, this Russian guy, whose name I cannot remember off-hand, decided to wait and think. Why would United States of America decide to launch only five ICBMs? He couldn't think of any reason... And it was his responsibility to launch a counter-attack. He didn't. It's him that we own our lives for. He could've started off a nuclear war, based on false information from a system, that saw light reflecting out of clouds as a nuclear attack. He should've been celebrated. But no, he was basically fucked in the ass for being brave enough to go against the system. And even now, nobody remembers his name. Not even myself. And I feel ashamed of it.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yes,and this is when? +2Reply
@ZonkeyBalls There are many things, that people have actually missed over the years. This planet has been doomed so many times...

I saw a presentation of that Russian officer's courageous stand on one of my history channels a few years ago. And, like you, I cannot remember his name either.

I don't know how my comment got posted way down here, because I was replying to Zonkey's comment about twelve posts above this position!

@goblue1968 I saw a presentation of that Russian officer's courageous stand on one of my history channels a few years ago...

It gets confusing sometimes the order that these comments get placed in. At least these have the "in response" line at the top. Sometimes they just say "Linked comment".

--One itsy-bitsy tweek. --
There were NO missiles in the air. The Soviet satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned SAID there were missiles in the air - but there were none.

--So, --Stanislav had the balls not to trust his system - thank goodness.

Sorry - I misread / understood.

@Budwick --One itsy-bitsy tweek. -- --There were NO missiles in the air. The Soviet satellite warning system had indeed...

You are having trouble reading or understanding, what has been said?

EDIT: In this case, I will retract my love and plus. I just don't get you, man.

@Budwick Yes, as a ,matter of fact, I did.

Well, I know that I might be an easy target for you, since I don't go all Jebus about stuff, but please... Be more careful, you are a bloody mod, after all.

@ZonkeyBalls Well, I know that I might be an easy target for you, since I don't go all Jebus about stuff, but please... Be more...

I'm sorry you feel like a target.
Being a Christian or a moderator doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else; at least not in my eyes.
How about yours?

@Budwick I'm sorry you feel like a target. Being a Christian or a moderator doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone...

I was merely worried, that I will be treated out the context, which shouldn't be the official policy.

Or...when the media tells you to let's say, love chocolate bars. Then the next ad will be about how to lose weight...

Some Canadian media isn't nearly as bad as US media when it comes to fear mongering. Compare Global News to CNN and it's like night and day. Unlike Canadian news, US news is less about presenting facts, and more about blowing things way out of proportion and getting ratings.
That's not to say some Canadian media isn't nauseatingly biased; CBC throws facts and reason out the window to push an agenda, and even moderate liberals see this. I watch Global because it's a LOT less biased.

Something to possibly fear, no, not really. There is always something going on that could and sometimes should alert or alarm people.

The media telling me to "hate" something, yes. That is not something the "media" I watch, listen to, or read does or has done, in my memory.

We have neutral news over here.

We just tell things as they happen. Nothing gets out of proportion. Nothing is out of place. We prefer the truth. Whatever happens, happens. Finns? Silly, stupid, the best racing car drivers in the world, violent, drunk, silly and still stupid. We are weird, but... Hey... We are the best racing car drivers in the world. :D :D :D

@Will_Janitor Not to mention pretty good snipers. :)

I'm the second one in the world to hit a target 4 km away and I shot completely off the target, knowing that the wind and the mass of the projectile were absolutely fifty-sixty. No wonder we can punch through a tank's engine with one of those silly guns.

@2656797

Well, your parents should have been fucking with each other, earlier.

I'd blame Cana... Wait... Not this one again...

When I found news boring so I didnt watch them

Maybe before I listened to tv.

The media always seems to be itching for another war!!! jolly smilie
乂^◡^乂

Actually, I can remember a time when the media wasn't continually trying to scare us to death. I can remember when the Soviet Union exploded their first hydrogen bomb test and shortly thereafter there were occasional messages on the TV about what to do if there was a nuclear attack, but it wasn't very frequent or urgently expressed. ICBM's didn't exist back then so we were confident that our air defense systems would protect us from Soviet bomber aircraft. In fact, I remember seeing the anti-aircraft missile defense bases placed around the area where I lived. We even had a neighbor who built a nuclear fallout shelter in his back yard!

Yep, life was pretty worry-free in those days and Walter Cronkite had not yet started his nightly fear mongering broadcasts on TV. But he did have an interesting history show that he narrated which were dramatizations about noteworthy events called "You Are There".