Is LGBTQ missing the initial "S"?

And I've noticed the word "Straight" is not listed on Amirite's selection of Topics...although Gay and Lesbian are.

Image for post **Is LGBTQ missing the initial "S"?**
Sukiesnows avatar Relationships
9 47

That's ok. I don't think straight rights are in question.

@Will_Janitor That's ok. I don't think straight rights are in question.

No?

Alberta, Canada’s Progressive New Government Bans the Words “Mother” and “Father” in Schools
https://www.amren.com/news/2016...er-in-schools/

Astral Drive Elementary School in Halifax, Nova Scotia, removed all Mother's Day and Father's Day celebrations in 2011 and replaced them with an "International Day of Families," which was celebrated May 15. The annual event is recognized by the United Nations.

The change in policy reportedly came after a same-sex couple complained about the separate Mother's Day and Father's Day holiday celebrations at the school. The couple expressed to school officials that their daughter didn't feel comfortable participating in either Mother's or Father's Day activities at school, CBC News reported.
https://www.deseretnews.com/art...ebrations.html

@Maze Is someone being arrested for being gay?

No but there have been legal and financial issues with several state laws that discriminated against gay folks.

@Will_Janitor No but there have been legal and financial issues with several state laws that discriminated against gay folks.

Oh, I see. So, how does persecuting straight people prevent that? How is it okay to be able to celebrate gay pride, but not to be able to celebrate Mothers' Day?

@Maze Oh, I see. So, how does persecuting straight people prevent that? How is it okay to be able to celebrate gay pride...

You can celebrate Mother's Day if you so desire anytime you like. Where are you being persecuted? I don't feel persecuted at all.

@Maze They kicked it out of school.

Ya know, I don't ever remember celebrating Mother's Day in school. I do remember celebrating it at home with my family, and I still didn't feel persecuted.

@Will_Janitor Ya know, I don't ever remember celebrating Mother's Day in school. I do remember celebrating it at home with my...

So because you didn't feel persecuted back in the day, when things were normal, now nobody else should feel persecuted when everything normal is being marginalized and everything abnormal is being celebrated?

I'm all for tolerance, but it goes both ways. In the case of that one school, that community was absolutely tolerant of the gay couple, but the gay couple wasn't tolerant in return, demanding the community's institutions tear down longstanding traditions to prevent their child from having to face the abnormal reality they created for her. Or am I reading the situation wrong?

@Maze So because you didn't feel persecuted back in the day, when things were normal, now nobody else should feel...

Maybe I am reading it wrong. I don't think schools should have much to do with celebrating holidays. If they would handle the basics of education I would appreciate them much more.

As a gay man I have to say I'm puzzled as to why a same-sex couple would object to Mother's or Father's Day. If they have a child then they are both mothers or fathers.

There are bigger things to worry about than this.

no smilie

wow really, if i say anything that may or can be offensive to a lgbt person because im straight it automaticaly makes me homophobic or transphobic or some other bs. whatever happened to freedom of speech, belief and my other freedoms.

What, short lesbians get a special treatment these days?

In some parts of the world they have issues that don't relate to straight people, so it seems reasonable that they have a category specifically for this.

@OzSurfer In some parts of the world they have issues that don't relate to straight people, so it seems reasonable that they...

Yes but will it be forever? Maybe we're all used to it by now...or soon...then they can drop the acro.

@Sukiesnow Yes but will it be forever? Maybe we're all used to it by now...or soon...then they can drop the acro.

Well hopefully at some point. I don't know about other parts of the world but we are in the midst of a marriage equality vote and the hate and discrimination that's going on has never been so great in Australia. It'd a dark time for us at the moment. So yes I guess there is that division here but I would love to see a time when there isn't a need for the acro like you said.

@OzSurfer Well hopefully at some point. I don't know about other parts of the world but we are in the midst of a marriage...

Yes... Well, I know it in my mind...but I realize most people don't feel that way....so...we might have to keep the initials around for awhile.

That would mean they'd be fighting for everyone's rights, and that's not how identity politics works. It's about keeping people divided - seeing the world through the lens of us and them.

@Maze That would mean they'd be fighting for everyone's rights, and that's not how identity politics works. It's about...

I think you have it all wrong.

Inequality is what keeps people divided and "identity politics" is the result.

You said sarcastically "That would mean fighting for everyone's rights,..." Well the obvious question I have for you is exactly what rights are you not already enjoying? Have you ever been fired for being heterosexual? Have you ever been denied an apartment or refused service because you're straight?

The reality is that there are federal anti-discrimination laws covering race, sex, age, religion, country of origin, mental or physical disability, and even genetic predisposition, but there is no federal statute that covers sexual orientation or identity. State laws vary greatly, only some have anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBT people, and several states have even had ballot initiatives or proposed constitutional amendments reversing or outlawing any anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBT people. As a result in most places in the United States, it is perfectly legal to deny LGBT people housing or employment.

That's what's "keeping people divided" and that's why people see the world through "the lens of us and them".

And one last thing if I may? "fighting for everyone's rights" sounds great, but in this context what does it really mean? You have rights that are denied others. Are you fighting for everyone's rights? And what about those on the other side? They not only oppose LGBT rights, they are actively fighting against them. Aren't they seeing the world through "the lens of us and them"? Aren't they also using "identity politics"?

@Chris_the_Demon I think you have it all wrong. Inequality is what keeps people divided and "identity politics" is the result...

Look at the language used to define the debate, typically the conversation is about "group x rights," rather than how group x is being denied their "individual rights".

We all have our individual rights, so it's in my interest to ensure that your individual rights are being respected, just as it's in your interest to ensure that my individual rights are being respected. Because if someone can get away with violating your individual rights, that means they can get away with violating my rights too, because it's the same set of rights.

Not so with framing the discussion around gay rights or women's rights, black rights or native rights, it's easy to see that as somebody else's problem. I'm not gay, why should I care about gay rights? So it divides people up into little groups that don't stand up for each other, and I believe it's deliberate.

@Maze Look at the language used to define the debate, typically the conversation is about "group x rights," rather than...

So if I'm following you correctly, your objection is with the idea of "group rights" as opposed to "individual rights"? Okay. Interesting...

@2656880

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that was smart! It's so catchy because it's cool. How times change, I guess it's revenge for the past mistreatment of gays and now it's looked down on being regular.

A scenario just came to my mind.In a super pro LGBTQRSTUV house. A boy sits down on the table for breakfast and says "Mom, mom..........I'm....straight.... and one of the moms is outraged while the other is understanding but is crying.

@2656920

1 LGBT sandwich please, and dont spare the mayo

@Sunny_the_skeptic 1 LGBT sandwich please, and dont spare the mayo

Ha ha...that comment really had me rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off....

@2656920

I like spinach quiche.

@2656920

Now I'm hongry...

@2656867

She's having the hots for Tiff.

No, "S" is not missing.

LGBTQ is really more of a political term than anything else. It's most often used when discussing issues regarding equal rights.

There's no rule against adding "S" but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve.

I'm not sure why amirite doesn't have a "straight" category.

@2660584

If you had your way Brian, we'd be stuck in the 50s.

@2660930

smile smilie

What was your experience of the hurricane...

@2661162

Glad you didn't suffer more...