Bookyankas avatar Science
3 16

A degree isn't required to be a broadcast weatherman.

@JanHaskell A degree isn't required to be a broadcast weatherman.

Obviously, As long as they bring in the advertising dollars.

Bookyankas avatar Bookyanka So what? He's gentle, effeminate, and America... +2Reply
@2658573

I love when they say "partly sunny" or "partly cloudy with a 50% chance of scattered showers". lol Maybe it will and maybe it won't. hehe smilie

I don't think his not having a degree matters, they never get the weather right anyway, so a degree means nothing.

This is not a personal assault on Al Roker, or weather people. It is an assault on TV smile smilie

Bookyankas avatar Bookyanka So what? He's gentle, effeminate, and America... +3Reply

No, I didn't know that. I wouldn't have assumed that most TV weathercasters did meet all the qualifications to "technically" call themselves a meteorologist. What, does he call himself one, or something?

@Piper2 No, I didn't know that. I wouldn't have assumed that most TV weathercasters did meet all the...

As I stated above, this is not an assault on Al Roker. It deals with trust on television. It deals with what TV wants people to believe. I don't know what Al Roker calls himself. NBC though, has anointed marketed him as a weather guru and cashes in on his weather forecast delivery.
FOX calls Janice Dean "the weather machine". She doesn't have a degree either.
"Meteorologist" Jim Cantore, however, has a Bachelor of Meteorology degree from Lyndon State University.

Bookyankas avatar Bookyanka So what? He's gentle, effeminate, and America... +1Reply
@Bookyanka As I stated above, this is not an assault on Al Roker. It deals with trust on television. It deals with...

Oh, I see. I didn't notice anyone saying or implying that it was, but okay. It's good to know that you don't consider calling a man "effeminate" to be derogatory, like so many people do.

I don't know what Al Roker calls himself either, since I've rarely watched that network's news and weather. I watch the local news for weather reports, usually, and my favorite weathercaster does happen to be an actual meteorologist.

Yes, of course television networks care about ratings and cash.....

Considering it's a job that being right 50% of the time an acceptable rate of success, I am not surprised. :)

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor Hmmm...how about that? +2Reply

In Japan if you got the weather wrong you didn't get paid. I wonder if they still do that?
Roker would not be my first choice for weather anyway.

That's interesting. American Meteorological Association accreditation is required for weathermen to appear on TV. No accreditation - No TV gig.
Oh, by the way, you are required to publicly subscribe to the AMA version of climate change to receive accreditation.

So, apparently you don't necessarily have to me a meteorologist to be a weatherman, just a sell out!

Budwicks avatar Budwick Hmmm...how about that? 0Reply
@Bookyanka All you need is a pretty face, big boobs, or a gimmick. $$Ka-CHING$$

Roker had all three - before he lost all that weight!