Is it just a coincidence that Apple announced it's new phone will unlock using facial recognition only weeks after news broke that AI can now tell if someone is a criminal, or gay, by analyzing their FACE?

[DailyMail] The AI that can 'detect sexual orientation' with 91% accuracy: Images from controversial study reveal how it uses 'facial landmarks' to tell if you're GAY. [and if you go way down to the last paragraphs of the story] Last year, a controversial paper was released, which investigated whether a computer could detect if a human could be a criminal, by analysing their facial features. The researchers write: 'All four classifiers perform consistently well and produce evidence for the validity of automated face-induced inference on criminality, despite the historical controversy surrounding the topic. Also, we find some discriminating structural features for predicting criminality, such as lip curvature, eye inner corner distance, and the so-called nose-mouth angle.'

Critics slam controversial AI system that can 'tell if you're gay'Researchers at Stanford University developed an AI program that can tell if someone is gay, with a high level of accuracy, by analyzing a photo. But critics say it could be used to 'out' people in the closet.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4873918/Artificial-intelligence-tell-gay.html
0% Just a coincidence 33% No way that's a coincidence 67% Other
Mazes avatar Technology
2 14
@2660449

I understand if you figure someone out by their tone, gestures, clothes (I imagine the actor who plays Cam in Modern Family) but facial features? Nah, it sounds childish - you have a round face and full lips AHA! You're gay!

hahahaha

@TomboyJanet hahahaha

Headline: Face-reading AI will soon detect your political beliefs and IQ, researcher behind controversial 'gaydar' software claims

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/scie...eliefs-IQ.html

Yep, nothing to worry about there.

Wonder how you tell a person they're gay by looking at their face, imagine the surprise for someone who's phone keeps telling them they're gaybiggrin smiliebiggrin smilie

@Sunny_the_skeptic Wonder how you tell a person they're gay by looking at their face, imagine the surprise for someone who's phone...

If I know corporations, they'll mainly use that info to serve ads. But if I know power, there's a dark side to it too. Manipulation depends on knowing the target, the better they know you, the better they can appeal to your sensibilities, and thus the better they can manipulate you. That's good for sales, but if they can use that knowledge to sell you products, they can also use it sell you ideas.

Now, you're a dedicated skeptic, so you're the type of person who'd see what I mean, but what about the gullible? Will they be sold by the novelty of being able to send talking poop emojis?

@Maze If I know corporations, they'll mainly use that info to serve ads. But if I know power, there's a dark side to it...

Sure they will, if it's the new rad thing to do. It's the best new idea since the time when people were convinced to make accounts with their actual name, age and photo of themselves and location each time they log in.

Anonymous