How much do you want to hear about social issues from athletes?

Image for post **How much do you want to hear about social issues from athletes?**
Sukiesnows avatar Animals & Nature
9 36

Listening to guys making millions talk about how unfair this country is makes me wonder how they would have fared if their ancestors had never been brought to this country in the first place.

@ozzyboy Listening to guys making millions talk about how unfair this country is makes me wonder how they would have fared...

I sometimes wonder how I would have fared if my ancestors were brought to this country (and used as farm equipment).

@PhilboydStudge I sometimes wonder how I would have fared if my ancestors were brought to this country (and used as farm equipment).

What would your life be like today, if they hadn't? You can see what life is like where they came from.

I look at where my family came from when they fled Russia, and it wasn't good over there during those past 100 years. What matters more to me isn't, how I got here, but the fact that I AM here.

@JustJimColo What would your life be like today, if they hadn't? You can see what life is like where they came from. I look at...

Agreed. The only that does matter is that we are here now.

However, we shouldn't disregard the fact that most Blacks in America are the decedents of slaves. That might seem like ancient history, but even after the 13th Amendment Blacks were terrorized, murdered, and discriminated against.

I don't need to tell you that racism is alive and well in the U.S.

@PhilboydStudge Agreed. The only that does matter is that we are here now. However, we shouldn't disregard the fact that most...

And it's getting worse. You and I both remember the 60's and what racism was like, and how it changed and how in recent years, it has come back and grown.
Of course we shouldn't disregard the fact that here were slaves 150 years ago and that things were tough even 80 years ago.
There are some out there that are using the race card like they are still slaves, and everyone owes them something. In my mind, the hundreds of thousands of whites who died in the civil war, freeing slaves, more than paid a pretty high price that never gets talked about.

@JustJimColo And it's getting worse. You and I both remember the 60's and what racism was like, and how it changed and how in...

I don't believe racism is getting worse. Recently it's just been getting more media coverage than usual. In my particular case, I am far less racist than my parents and grandparents, and my daughters are even more open-minded than I am. I hope this is the general trend.

The whole thing about reparations seems ridiculous to me. I want people to have equal rights and equal opportunities today. I can't help what happened in the past. And what is the statute of limitations on reparations anyway? How would these same people feel about paying the survivors of the indigenous peoples that used to roam this great land?

@PhilboydStudge I don't believe racism is getting worse. Recently it's just been getting more media coverage than usual. In my...

There are many places in this country I would have felt safer to go 20 years ago that I would not go to today.

I don't see myself as racist at all. Nor were my parents. Growing up in a very small isolated farming community 200 miles from the closest real city can do that. Then a life in the military subjects you to close interaction with all segments of society, both as a follower as well as a leader.

I'm for equal rights, and that means, "equal". A person of any color or background should be allowed to interview for any job. At that point, I think it is up to the employer to hire who they believe is most qualified, and there shouldn't be someone standing over them telling them who they must hire because of a quota system.

I will agree that a sort of racism is alive in our country the kind that is propagated by a government that is supposed to take care of the issues and does just the opposite so they can stay in power. Most inner cities are ran by one party and have been for years and those politicians get rich and the people they are supposed to represent get nothing except more laws to hold them down and keep them in the place they are and the only advise that the politicians give them is you are oppressed and you will always be oppressed so don’t even try. That is the true racism in this counrty

@altonschwab I will agree that a sort of racism is alive in our country the kind that is propagated by a government that is...

I disagree. True racism is easier to spot.

Look at our prison population.
Blacks make up 40% of the incarcerated population even though they account for only 13% of the general population.

https://www.prisonpolicy.org/reports/rates.html

Or look at our wealth distribution. The median wealth of white families is 12x greater than the median wealth of black families.

http://www.epi.org/blog/the-rac...-build-wealth/

@2662429

Lead in the ass.. and not knowing how to act civilized when questioned by authority are the majority of what is twisted into "Social Injustice".

If an athlete wants to talk about their sport, conditioning or training routines, the history of it, or even the journey they went through during their career, I'm interested.

If they want to talk about social issues, they can go on a talk show, or stand on a soapbox in the park and talk away. (I can choose to listen or not)
If they want to talk about it using someone else's platform, such as a football game, or by protesting the National Anthem or flag, or how racist I am because I don't pander to them, fuck em.

If you took your family to a play or concert that you paid a lot of money to see, how would you feel about having to sit through a 15 minute speech or display that you found offensive prior to it starting?

Since a lot of the current BS is centered around the BLM agenda, for fairness's sake, how would you like to have to sit through the same demonstration put on by another organization you hated?

Stop playing the anthem and get on The with the game.Works over here.Not interested in political protests at sporting events.

I'm more interested in what the "average Joe" thinks, but I'll listen to them.. at least four a little while.

I don't watch sports for political statement; I watch them to escape from the real world and it's problems for a short time. No more NFL for me until they stop.

I don't, unless it's like the $33M that was donated to JJ Watt's Harvey Relief Fund

I think the most important issue in any sports, these days, is how both the audience and the teams see gay/lesbian or transgender athletes. The International Olympic Commettee should make a brave statement, that not only should people disregard color or race, they should also see other sexual forms of life as life. I know a couple of gay ice hockey players, who aren't coming out during their careers, because it would "destroy their images" and "other guys would not have showers with them". Silly stupid stuff.

In addition to the $33M that was donated to JJ Watt's Harvey Relief Fund, I learned today that Deshaun Watson (finally, Houston has a QB!) has donated his first paycheck to 3 food workers at NRG stadium who lost everything in the flood. THAT is what these players should be about.

Not at all.

The ones effected by these "social issues" certainly have a right to speak about them.

@2666262

I'm still working hard at ignoring you...:)

None if it's during a game and about 1 minute if it's on their own time..