Have you ever said "no hablo inglés" to avoid a conversation?

Image for post Have you ever said "no hablo inglés" to avoid a conversation?
39% 52% No 9% Other
primeiros avatar Jokes & Humour
10 45

I have thought it a few times, but I know I couldn't pull off the accent. :)

No hablo ingles, senor. Muchos gracias. Tres cervezas, por favor - quitese los pantalones y los calconzillos. Le recetera supositorios. Tengo hemorroides. Hasta la vista, Microsoft.

That covers my Spanish.

@2662280

Thank you for joining. :D

Haven't used that before.

I'm too vanilla to pull it off...:)

It wouldn't work in my area. I would have to say it in Gaelic or something else. hehe smilie

@JanHaskell It wouldn't work in my area. I would have to say it in Gaelic or something else.

lol, yeah, the trick needs to be adapted depending on the specific region. :D
Thank you for joining.

@2662434

Haha :D Thank you for joining.

I've done the opposite since here it's more likely someone will not know English and wont be able to talk to you. " I'm sorry, I appear to be unable to understand the language you're speaking so I will be on my way" Using more difficult words stops them from attempting to use their salvaged bits of English.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I've done the opposite since here it's more likely someone will not know English and wont be able to talk to you...

lol. I should try that. :P Just speak a long fast string of difficult words. That will scare most people off.
Thank you for joining. :)

I've done that in German, lol - it works :)

Si, me no understando as me no hablo inglés...

Of course, it's normally been with someone that knows me well and knows I only speak English.

I use English so ignore anyone who can't or won't speak the language our country started with.

@2662648

Thank you for joining! :)

Quite the opposite really. In Miami I was buying some cars, the clerk give me the total in Spanish. I have enough to reply "No halo Espanyol" with a perfect accent. She said Que and I repeated it. She got really angry with me over it.
It happened again later and I said in English that I didn't speak Spanish. This clerk was really annoyed when she snapped at me in a heavy accent"I'ma not tawlking in Espanish."
a smiliea smilie

Actually, I answered in Italian, by accident, at a congress - but corrected and switched to English, after the first two or three welcoming words.

hehe smiliesmile smilie

@Marianne Actually, I answered in Italian, by accident, at a congress - but corrected and switched to English, after the...

hehe smilie Thank you for joining. biggrin smilie
That kind of thing happens a lot - using another language by accident. I've seen it more than once, with coworkers, using English by accident, then correcting and switching to Portuguese. :P

Only as a joke.

@Budwick Only as a joke.

That sounds like my kind of humor. :P
Thank you for joining!