+3

Hurricanes constantly happen in Florida and the Caribbean...but I don't see them moving inland.

One gets tired of people suffering when they can simply move...otherwise you take your own risk.

Image for post **Hurricanes constantly happen in Florida and the Caribbean...but I don't see them moving inland.**
Sukiesnows avatar Jokes & Humour
6 26

They are rarely hurricanes for long after hitting land. No matter where you live there are possible problems. Tornados, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, droughts, blizzards, extreme heat, extreme cold, meteors, lightning strikes, floods, fires, killer bees, asshole neighbors, etc. No matter where you go, shit can happen! :)

When i lived in charlotte, nc., hurricane hugo tore up the city. Charlotte is quite aways away from the coast.
While living in wilmington, i experienced 3 other hurricanes. None as devastating as these recent ones, but knocked us around some. Power out for several days, ice rations and such.
Many people have generational ties to coastal areas. Know no other life.
And quite frankly, the risk is worth the reward. Most will rebuild.
But, i would never live where a surge of water could take my home.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla When i lived in charlotte, nc., hurricane hugo tore up the city. Charlotte is quite aways away from the coast...

Agree. After Ike several years ago, my sister was out of power for 2 weeks - not a rare occurrence for storms. Know the folks in Rockport were out of power for 2 weeks after Harvey. Definitely agree, living along the coast is a life style. My dad was a ship pilot on the Houston Ship Channel, and I think I inherited his 'salt water in the veins'.

beachbums avatar beachbum Disagree +3Reply

Hurricanes ALWAYS move inland - they simply become rain makers after a while. Moving over land, away from the water, gradually takes their power away. Harvey went up into Arkansas, and further inland. Irma did the same thing - went into the Carolinas.

Living along the coast isn't any different than living in frozen Canada. It's what you have always done, it's what you know.

beachbums avatar beachbum Disagree +4Reply
@beachbum Hurricanes ALWAYS move inland - they simply become rain makers after a while. Moving over land, away from the...

The thing I resent is: every time you mention living anywhere up north...everyone shudders and says "I'm so glad I live in Florida"...(or wherever)

We deal with treacherous storms ALL winter...hazardous conditions...

Then when one itty bitty hurricane blows thru let's say Florida...everyone there is on their knees, praying up a storm...helping them all over... It's damn hypocritical....

@Sukiesnow The thing I resent is: every time you mention living anywhere up north...everyone shudders and says "I'm so glad I...

A few, but most hurricanes are not itty bitty - not when you consider billions of dollars worth of damage and the loss of countless lives.

Again, as I said, it's all in what you are used to, where you grow up.

beachbums avatar beachbum Disagree +2Reply
@Sukiesnow Yeah well suck it up. A year of snow storms make one hurricane.

So why are you mad at me? I don't create hurricanes or snow storms. If you chose to live in blizzard conditions year after year, isn't that your choice?

beachbums avatar beachbum Disagree +1Reply

No, many people cannot simply move. As others have so aptly pointed out, there are very few places where some kind of natural disaster is unlikely to happen.

@Piper2 No, many people cannot simply move. As others have so aptly pointed out, there are very few places...

So then they have no right to complain then...you signed up for it, you put up with it... You won't hear us complaining about nasty snow storm after snow storm.

@Piper2 I've heard many people complain about bitter cold and snow storms.

Sometimes winters can seem a bit long...but for the most part we take our unfortunate weather conditions on the chin.

@Piper2 Good for you, Sukes. People in the the United States do that, too.

Yeah but not the people living in areas (or vacationing) subject to hurricanes. I've never heard such a clamour. Canada even sent in help.