I'm really surprised that Game of Thrones has never been a topic on this site. What do you think about the show? Do you like it?

Image for post I'm really surprised that Game of Thrones has never been a topic on this site. What do you think about the show? Do you like it?
35% Yes 24% No 41% Other
Sunny_the_skeptics avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
10 51
@2666032

Haha Steve Buscemi, say no more :D

@2666037

He's also one of the closest friends of Peter Dinklage who's a major character in GoT

@2666032

Rooster,

I'm with you there about Boardwalk Empire. That was a DO NOT MISS show on my TV watching agenda when it was running. But I don't know why you say it was suddenly taken off, because it ran for five seasons.

I also liked the fact that it introduced many actors who were not very well-known at the time who went on to greater recognition after the show ended.

@2668664

Oh, thanks for the clarification.

@2666032

Excellent show! I was disappointed when it ended.

@2666049

It's similar to the walking dead too form one aspect :D they have white walkers.

@2666058

Ah, so you're from the fans that read the books, the true ones, I figured out that I might be unsatisfied if I compared the 2 so I didnt read the books. What works for books doesnt always work for TV

@2666058

Logan: Seriously, for this one and only time, just for your convenience.

The books - any book or series of them, that has ever been made into a movie or series of movies - are always different from the depictions on film (no matter, what format, analog or digital). It's very difficult to properly compare these two styles of expression, written form leaves room for the imagination of the events, whereas film is always straight-forward in that sense, showing us the actions of the characters, whom we might have pictured in our minds to look like totally different than the actors and actresses. The angles are precise and chosen by the director. The script usually lacks some of the subtleties, that we love in the literature itself.

But, however... Taking off from that point is not a sin. Some may not like it, but I'm not here to judge. The freedom of expression, based on a Universe, in which things can go there, there or there... It's not always about the books themselves, but the premise that they offer us.

@2666074

It's alright, as I said. I'm not here to fight for my own stupid point of view - we can all live happily ever after. ;o)

@2666074

In my opinion trying to fit the books in several 55 min episodes is like trying to catch all the rain in your hat, you may try as much as you want but you will fail.

@2666103

It really takes a hard stomach to handle it.

@2666109

In that case it's great that you don't watch GoT, some scenes will definitely leave your jaw dropped at least, if not also some intense heart rate.

@2666126

The others who watch will know this, but I wonder what would the reaction of people who havent watched GoT be if they watched a certain wedding of a certain pigment.

@2666132

Haha alliances are made and lost in marriage!

@2666109

Yeah, Criminal Minds is pretty hard to watch. I avoid it.
There is also a "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders" that somehow manages to be even more disturbing.

I usually answer "other", in these cases, and throw in a silly, stupid joke.

Not this time. I'm a huge fan of the show. It's absolutely brilliant. The start is slow, yes, I give that to Rooster - it's alright to disagree on matters of personal taste - but the rest of it. Whoooeee! Dragons and shit. Well, mostly shit, but also dragons. It's absolutely, well, considering the amount of full frontal nudity (although Lena didn't do her own shots, but she used a body double for the walk scene) and other weird shit, that is becoming the new norm, well written and balanced.

@Sunny_the_skeptic A basic description of the show is boobs, dragon and killing

Yes, but there are other aspects, that are actually deeper than that. Betrayal, hesitation, learning who you are, friendship, brotherhood/sisterhood etc.

@ZonkeyBalls Yes, but there are other aspects, that are actually deeper than that. Betrayal, hesitation, learning who you are...

It kinda teaches me that you will be screwed over if you're kind and honest, poor Ned got what he did because he was honorable.

@Sunny_the_skeptic It kinda teaches me that you will be screwed over if you're kind and honest, poor Ned got what he did because he...

I actually was totally gutted after the end of the first season and completely abandoned the whole series for five years. I couldn't stand it. Somehow, after I noticed, that the series were just carrying on and on and on, I decided to have a fresh view. So I watched the first season again. Then the second, the third, etc. Now, I'm completely hooked.

@ZonkeyBalls I actually was totally gutted after the end of the first season and completely abandoned the whole series for five...

I was hooked immediately, I had no idea what I was watching, I wanted to see some medieval series because I love such things and when I got the first taste of GoT I was mortified, sickened and hungry for more.

I think it is a tad overblown.

@dru18 I think it is a tad overblown.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, but for real it's not for everyone's heart.

One of the only TV shows I watch religiously.

I've never watched the show, mainly because, as you said, it takes a hard stomach to handle it. However, I've read some of the books, and I enjoyed them. The author is a freaking genius. The characters seem to have all the complexity and imperfections of real humans. But the violence is pretty intense. Even just in the book, some of the violent descriptions are a bit too much for me. I don't think I could watch it on TV.

@primeiro I've never watched the show, mainly because, as you said, it takes a hard stomach to handle it. However, I've read...

George RR Martin is cool in the way that his characters are not simply good or evil, they're complex in the matter that they have things to protect and they're willing to go to different lengths for them be it honorable like poor old Eddard or cheating like Cercei\Tywin.

@Sunny_the_skeptic George RR Martin is cool in the way that his characters are not simply good or evil, they're complex in the matter...

Yep. Exactly that.

What I also find awesome is how the drama never ends. Even if there is eventually a happy ending for one or other character, there isn't any foreseeable happy ending for the world that he created (I guess this is much like our real world). I mean, even if you are hoping for an end, realistically you can't. You just have to look at all the stories from the past to see that the drama seems to unfold for ever. Any time you check, be it 500 or 5000 years ago, there are always uncountable characters entangled in nets of complex situations.

Even if you identify with the current characters in the story's "present time" and are cheering for them to succeed, you can't help thinking that you would find equally relatable characters even if you go back thousands of years.

It was a topic on here once...halfheartedly...no one is interested.

Love Game of Thrones! The last two seasons were the best! Peter Dinklage is awesome!

Have you seen the The Station Agent? Or Rememory?

I've never seen it.