+4

If you moved to a foreign country to stay...you'd learn the language. This idea must be lost on Asian order-takers.

And, NO...I don't find it charming when the order-taker at the Mandarin can barely speak English...especially when the food isn't that authentic to begin with....

Image for post **If you moved to a foreign country to stay...you'd learn the language.** //This idea must be lost on Asian order-takers.//
Sukiesnows avatar Language
6 14
@2666658

That accounts for it...ha. But Nevermind about Asians who run restaurants...why does anyone move to live in a new country without the slightest desire to learn the language?

@2666668

No kidding. Okay...if you move when you are really young...chances are it's easier to learn a new language...but even when you are older...you should still be able to get around in your new country on your own.

Ive been all over the us.
Never had an issue at an asian place.
Numbered dishes...

@Carla Ive been all over the us. Never had an issue at an asian place. Numbered dishes...

Adless? Missy...what is adless? Number who? Whee you live? Adless...

Okay, I want to know what the Torpedo Shrimp is like. Is it fried and what type of rice do you use? Is it basmati?

Tupelo Ship is v goo...you like.... Wha? Lice? Yawalla...we give lice...

Get me the hell out of here...!

Don't think I'm exaggerating...and each one of these lines has a whole lengthy agonizing paragraph to it...

At one point I said: I'd like to talk to someone who can speak English and got the owner on the phone.

It's one of the things that deters me from ordering from the Mandarin and from now on I will always ask for someone who can speak English. Enough is enough...

@Sukiesnow Adless? Missy...what is adless? Number who? Whee you live? Adless... Okay, I want to know what the Torpedo Shrimp...

Ha!
I would pay to stand in line behind you, sukie:).
Come down here, i make a mean sesame chicken...jasmine rice;)

@Carla Ha! I would pay to stand in line behind you, sukie:). Come down here, i make a mean sesame chicken...jasmine rice;)

You have no idea how much I've shouted down the phone line: as people raise their voices when someone doesn't understand them...

Yummmay....love jasmine lice.

Some people are making an effort to learn the language and to assimilate into the local culture. It's not easy to learn a new language as an adult, or to get used to living in what feels like an entirely different world.

However, there are some people who refuse to assimilate. If I moved to a foreign country, it would be because I wanted to be a part of that country's culture. I wouldn't demand that they accommodate my refusal to learn their language, culture, and traditions, and I wouldn't treat the locals like crap for not being the same race as me, and then scream racism when one of the locals objects to my disrespectful behaviour.

People who immigrate to another country and are trying to learn a new language deserve a little slack.

And what's not charming about a person trying to use their vocal cords to make sounds they've never made before? smile smilie