+22

Wow, if only we had some kind of clue that it these rifles would be used in an assault.

Image for post Wow, if only we had some kind of clue that it these rifles would be used in an assault.
VicZincs avatar Politics
7 40

Millions of people are owners of numerous guns, it just takes one deranged psychopath to do what he did. I like guns although I've only shot a few times but I'd never consider shooting anything that's alive. Like it or not this problem occurs because of the easy availability of gun, I haven't heard of another country with so much gun related crime than the US.

Wow, if only we had people intelligent enough to know that the list of guns shown that are available to buy in this country are all semi automatic, not fully automatic. I hate to bust the bubble of those who are totally ignorant of guns, but the guns pictured are less lethal than most peoples deer rifles.
The ones who have fully automatic weapons, aren't buying them at Walmart. No law has ever stopped criminals from getting guns, ANYWHERE.
The problems aren't the guns, it's the liberal progressives who think it's immoral to prosecute criminals and lock them up. (Unless they are violating their "safe space")

@JustJimColo Wow, if only we had people intelligent enough to know that the list of guns shown that are available to buy in this...

I have never been interesting in banning guns. In fact I support private citizen owning WMDs. The right shall not be infringed.

I am pointing out the irony of the name "assault weapons". The media often reports that the killer used an assault weapon - I would think any weapon used against a fellow human would be an assault weapon.

"Tom used the tire-iron as an assault weapon when he beat John mercilessly."

@VicZinc I have never been interesting in banning guns. In fact I support private citizen owning WMDs. The right shall not...

The media often reports incorrectly. Typical media don't know the difference between an assault weapon vs a tea spoon.

Actual assault weapons were among the type illegally sold to drug dealers by Obama's Fast and Furious scheme. [Hmmm!]

@Budwick The media often reports incorrectly. Typical media don't know the difference between an assault weapon vs a tea...

The media you have in the US is crap, the moment this happened Fox news somehow managed to crap all over this tragedy and somehow inserted their agendas into what happened.

When I said what you did in another site someone told me I'm an idiot and that semi automatic AR 15 can be easily converted to a full auto. My competence about guns doesn't go that far but it's possible to interchange some parts, how available these parts are however I do not know.

@Sunny_the_skeptic When I said what you did in another site someone told me I'm an idiot and that semi automatic AR 15 can be easily...

If it was easy to convert an AR 15 to fully automatic, there would be a lot of fully automatic AR 15's out there. Can it be done? Of course. A gun smith could convert my 22 semi automatic rifle to fully automatic. A good gun smith could also build a fully automatic machine gun from scratch. While I know it has happened, I have yet to ever see one that has been converted. There are you tube videos that show how it can be done but most end up like this one.

Those are just for target shooting, vic.
Dontcha know?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

Better gun control....will the govt ever learn this lesson?

@Sukiesnow Better gun control....will the govt ever learn this lesson?

Better gun control will only realy serve to drive the industry underground, much like drug trade. I don't have the answer for the Americans, unfortunately, I wish I did, although I suspect it has more to do with the culture than the availability of guns.

Well...

Do you really want me to answer this one, uncle?

EDIT: Oh, shit, I just did.

EDIT #2: AK-47 works in every condition, that a rifle can be subjected to, but... Since I'm a sniper, I still prefer my older model Arctic Warfare.

@ZonkeyBalls Well... Do you really want me to answer this one, uncle? EDIT: Oh, shit, I just did. EDIT #2: AK-47 works in...

And a true AK-47 is illegal in the US. The same as an M-16. People make a semi automatic version for the civilian sector and some people can't see the difference. I kind of liked firing the AK. You could drop one in the mud and it would still fire. During Desert Storm, we'd take them out and fire tracers through them till the barrels were red hot. EOD eventually blew them all up along with the ammo caches we found. It was fun while it lasted.

@JustJimColo And a true AK-47 is illegal in the US. The same as an M-16. People make a semi automatic version for the civilian...

It's funny, how they sometimes switch the color codes... They should be constant, but it's not always the case. Then you go: "Oh, fuck, these are tracers!" And basically just crap yourself. ;o)

@ZonkeyBalls It's funny, how they sometimes switch the color codes... They should be constant, but it's not always the case...

It's interesting watching a magazine of all tracers being fired instead of every 6th shell. Makes the barrel hotter than hell.

I picked up some tracer shells for my 30 06 and have thought about shooting a deer with one if the conditions are ever wet enough. (Don't want to set the river bottom on fire if I miss)

@JustJimColo It's interesting watching a magazine of all tracers being fired instead of every 6th shell. Makes the barrel...

So tracer rounds are some sort of perhaps phosphorus infused rounds? They must burn very hot since they make the barrel red.

@Sunny_the_skeptic So tracer rounds are some sort of perhaps phosphorus infused rounds? They must burn very hot since they make the...

Actually, you might find this funny, but I don't exactly know what they are made of.

They do teach a lot of useless stuff in the army, but... I have absolutely no fucking idea. The best guess would be phosphor. I haven't actually had the interest to check Wikipedia on this one. I think the answer is somewhere to be found...

@ZonkeyBalls I will just fucking snipe that deer. Never having to worry about the wind.

Deer are some big targets.. LOL We have a problem with them at the farm and the State gives me depredation tags to help thin the herds. I take out about 20 a year. (Donate all the meat)

@ZonkeyBalls Well, donating the meat makes it a bummer... They are stringy, but they are good meat.

I donate it to soldiers family's. I may keep some but I'm a beef eater and I usually just get a half from my brother or the neighbors.

Perhaps we should call them "people-killing devices".

Of course the NRA would never go along with this, but why let people buy assault rifles, and then buy modification kits to turn them into automatic deadly rifles like this guy was using. Do away with the modification kits....problems solved.

Actually now that I remember it, assault rifles ARE illegal in the US, the way it sounded it was like this guy was shooting as fast as possible, since he was already using illegal weapons the gun bans wouldn't have stopped this.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Actually now that I remember it, assault rifles ARE illegal in the US, the way it sounded it was like this guy was...

This guy was firing fully automatic. It's pretty easy to tell if you've been around fully automatic weapons much. The term assault rife refers to a rifle with certain characteristics, one of which includes a selector switch for semi auto and full auto. Rifles like the AR 15 don't have one. The term assault rife is often incorrectly used because it sounds more dangerous.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

@JustJimColo This guy was firing fully automatic. It's pretty easy to tell if you've been around fully automatic weapons much...

As far as I know the AR 15 is just a semi auto M4A1. Assault rifles are a wonder of war, large caliber rifle with full auto fire. Add a Holographic hybrid sight, a suppressor, an M203 and you get a SOPMOD which is straight killing machine.

@2667066

JD, he could have killed that many and more by just making some home made IED's, put them in back packs and placed them in high density areas in the crowd with a remote detonator. If someone is intent on killing a lot of people, there are many options open to them.

@2667246

If I had planned it, I would have taken the backpacks into the crowd during the concert, making multiple trips. All those people were unsuspecting, and him being an older guy, he would have been invisible.
He had bomb making materials in his car. (Ammonium Nitrate)
I don't think he ever considered escape. His position was too restricted once he opened fire, and as much planning as he did, he had to know that. There were only the elevators and stairs, and once those were secured after the shooting location was identified, it was only a matter of time.
Hopefully we'll learn more as the investigation goes on.

@2667566

Wish I had answers to those million dollar questions JD. Don't know if we will ever know.

@2667566

So he would know when to stop shooting and start committing suicide.

@2667824

He wanted complete control of the situation. Nothing left to chance.