Should I vote for a political candidate who supports letting people with pre-existing mental illness purchase firearms, and denies people with pre-existing mental illness the health insurance they need to treat their illness?

7% Yes, you should 67% No, that would be silly 7% people with mental illness don't become terrorist 0% oh wait. um, let me think 20% Other
VicZincs avatar Law
8 23

Mentally unstable people will always be on the edge of going nuts at any time. They should never never be allowed to own guns. Make it the same as a drivers license at least some people are not allowed due to medical or mental reasons to drive. A car is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands, so is a gun.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Mentally unstable people will always be on the edge of going nuts at any time. They should never never be allowed...

That sounds reasonable, but terms like "mentally unstable" and "going nuts" are not very helpful.

Even if we say people with a mental illness, that still includes a lot of harmless, good people - like Princess Diana, Maria Osmomd, and Karen Carpenter.
(I don't know if these people are/were actually good, but you know what I mean).

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge No, that would be silly +5Reply
@PhilboydStudge That sounds reasonable, but terms like "mentally unstable" and "going nuts" are not very helpful. Even if we say...

Bingo Phil.

When it comes to saying we need to restrict people with mental illness/disorders from own guns, that’s a pretty broad brush.
According to the American Psychiatric association, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the DSM lists approximately 297 disorders. Here are only a few.
Autism
Reactive Attachment Disorder
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Stuttering
Reading Disorder
Postpartum Depression
Premature (Early) Ejaculation
And the list goes on and on. Before people jump on the bandwagon of saying people with a mental disorder shouldn’t be allowed to own a gun, shouldn’t they define “what” severe mental disorders should disqualify a person? Probably only the ones that a reasonable person would agree constitutes a real threat to others.

@2669049

Linn, Did you know that if a person in Colorado is in a treatment program for PTSD or ANY other mental disorder, they cannot buy or own a gun? The new law creates a judicial process wherein a person may petition for relief from federal firearms prohibitions resulting from an adjudication as a “mental defective”. Colorado slipped through a lot of gun laws in 2013.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0198.htm

@2669102

I think it's a bad law because there is no discriminator to determine if a person just needs help or is a true threat. Laws like this discourage some people from getting help, even though they are no threat. I've had multiple tours to the region and knew some kids that had a tough time and just wanted some counseling to help them deal with what they went through. Now they are labeled as mentally ill. (Which follows them for life) Do you realize that a person going through grief counseling for the death of a child could also fall into this category? When a law is too generalized, it could include as many people as the government wanted to label as mentally defective.
Just a thought Linn.

@2669114

These have been good conversations today Linn.

@2669199

My pleasure... Thank you. I was cut short online today by he wife who wanted me to go with her, shopping, so I did the well rehearsed head nod.

I shouldnt.

@2669050

In 2013, the Colorado legislature slipped the bill by that I cited above. The citizens were pissed off. There was a famous gun magazine manufacturer here that pulled up stakes and moved there entire company to another state.

@2669101

Some of their their products were outlawed in Colorado.

You've been smokin those damn left-handed cigarettes again.

Oh, Hell no.

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne No, that would be silly 0Reply

It's interesting that all the comments are about gun ownership and none are about denying treatment.