+3

Your views on Capital Punishment could be wrong. Amirite?

Image for post Your views on Capital Punishment could be wrong. Amirite?
Sukiesnows avatar Jokes & Humour
8 54
The voters have decided that Sukiesnow is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I support castration for rapists

@2671916

Because it is of course a far better use of time, effort, money and resource to incarcerate mass murderers for life right?

Maybe. But consider the number of people who have been wrongly convicted of crimes through the years. Isn't it possible, if not probable, that we have executed innocent people?

@Sukiesnow That's what scares me...

Ditto. The reality is our judicial system is flawed. We make mistakes. That is unacceptable when dealing with a death sentence.

@2672995

Agreed. As I said, the system is flawed.

However there are far more cases of innocent people who have been wrongly convicted.

@2677617

There was a study done in 2014 here in the US.

The researchers found that between 1973 and 2004 1.4% of the people sentenced to die were later exonerated.

However, crime statistics show that about 4% of all persons convicted of any crime are actually innocent.

And that difference?

That difference means we have almost certainly executed innocent people. I(t also means we have innocent people sitting on death row and innocent people serving life sentences without the possibility of parole.)

@2677683

Of course most criminals claim they're innocent.

But what does that have to do with the cases that were later exonerated? Courts don't just take the word of the defendant when deciding to overturn a death sentence.

@2677704

That's a horrific story. I'm so sorry for you lose JD.

However if and when parole is granted to someone who has committed murder is a different issue.

I was talking about innocent people who have been wrongly convicted.

pce smilie

@2677723

No, there is no solution that is completely fair.

frown smilie

They are

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply

Let's see; Appeals cost a fortune, the threat of death has been proven NOT to be a deterrent, and we are the only civilized country that is still killing people for killing people. Kinda of a no brainer.

@2672988

Except that it isn't a deterrent, otherwise, Texas and Florida would be the two safest places in the world to live...and we know that they are anything but.

Only in this country would we think that death is harsher than rotting away in prison.

I am very sorry for your loss, Briani, I hope they find the guy, and bring your family closure.

@2673164

I brought up deterrent because you would suspect that anyone would think twice before taking a life, if they thought their death would be the consequence, But I guess they feel they won't be caught, or just so jaded, that they don't care.

I believe California has the death penalty, or it did.

I certainly agree with the last part.

@dru18 Let's see; Appeals cost a fortune, the threat of death has been proven NOT to be a deterrent, and we are the only...

How many people convicted or rape or murder are released and commit the same crimes again? How many people who are executed for those crimes commit them again.

@JustJimColo How many people convicted or rape or murder are released and commit the same crimes again? How many people who are...

"How many people who are executed for those crimes commit them again."

And how many, just replace them.

@dru18 "How many people who are executed for those crimes commit them again." And how many, just replace them.

Zero "replace" them. There will always be murderers and rapists out there. We just need to keep thinning the heard or we will be overrun.

@dru18 You will never "thin" the heard, and execution is not the answer.

So are you saying, just give up?

What is the answer then Dru?

@JustJimColo So are you saying, just give up? What is the answer then Dru?

Have we ever given up?

I have stated three reasons why I believe execution is not the answer.

Lock them up, and make them work for the state.

@dru18 Have we ever given up? I have stated three reasons why I believe execution is not the answer. Lock them up, and...

You said we will never thin the herd. To me, that is giving up.

How many people who are locked up, "work for the state?"
New York City is an expensive place to live for just about everyone, including prisoners.

The city paid $167,731 to feed, house and guard each inmate last year, according to a study the Independent Budget Office released this week.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/...tudy-says.html

@JustJimColo You said we will never thin the herd. To me, that is giving up. How many people who are locked up, "work for the...

No, we will never thin the herd. I think people are more callous, and more desensitize now, then in previous generations.

And as I have stated, with APPEALS, that could go as long as twenty years +, it is REALLY EXPENSIVE.

I didn't say how many are working for the state, nor is that the point. You asked me what would be my idea of a solution, and I gave you an example.

@2672723

society is drifting away from caring for the innocent victims to defending the criminals

Nope, not possible.

Odd. I expected far more disagrees.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are +1Reply

what i don't get is how liberals think murdering innocent babies is better then killing a murderer

@Anonymousmouse what i don't get is how liberals think murdering innocent babies is better then killing a murderer

What I don't get, is how you keep introducing this subject on posts that have nothing to do with it.

It's time to stop painting a group of people with the same broad brush stroke. Nuances, sh...nuances.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Sukiesnow It's time to stop painting a group of people with the same broad brush stroke. Nuances, sh...nuances.

lol, i don;t see many conservatives or libertarians with those hypocritical believes. it is LIBERALS for the most part

@Anonymousmouse lol, i don;t see many conservatives or libertarians with those hypocritical believes. it is LIBERALS for the most part

How do you see it? From where do you see it... I don't see much difference between Conservatives or Liberals.... We are ALL just people!!

@Sukiesnow How do you see it? From where do you see it... I don't see much difference between Conservatives or...

yes we are all people, people with different beliefs, some devastatingly more hypocritical then others, if some people are against capital punishment and use "human rights" as a reason against it but support abortion, then I am sorry but they are huge hypocrites, and do not really care for human rights, but rather care more for a criminal then the innocent

I prefer slavery to be the highest form of punishment, instead of death. Let the evil bastards earn the resources being spent on them.

What happened to the good ol' punishnent of exile? Why do we insist on babysitting these people (very loose interpretation for our jail system, which is horrific by itself) or killing them?

As could any of my views be wrong.

Vrendowls avatar Vrendowl Yeah You Are 0Reply