+5

By accepting the gun lobby’s bribes and lies this government has become complacent in the destruction of our lives. By pushing its own agenda to curb freedom of press and stifle the free expression of our athletes and our spokespeople it has become destructive of our liberty. We hold these truths to be self-evident that when any Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right and Duty of the People to alter or to abolish it. Impeach Trump before it is too late.

Image for post By accepting the gun lobby’s bribes and lies this government has become complacent in the destruction of //our// lives.  By pushing its own agenda to curb freedom of press and stifle the free expression of our athletes and our spokespeople it has become destructive of //our// liberty. We hold these truths to be self-evident that when any Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right and Duty of the People to alter or to abolish it.  Impeach Trump before it is too late.
VicZincs avatar Politics
3 44
@2672701

Good stuff

@2673014

I recently read that something like 80% of guns are owned by 3% of the population.

Don't know how accurate that is but it might also be a contributing factor in the graphic

@2673125

I don't buy that 3% own 80% of the guns or even 50%. That's saying that 3% of the gun owners own 320 million guns.... since many estimates say there are about 400 million guns in the US. The math just doesn't add up.

More liberal fabrication because they like to lie using big numbers.

@2677370

Did you look at the chart I posted?

@2677375

The point I am making is that in separate polls, the numbers are way different. In other words, nobody knows, and that's the way it should be. People just make up numbers to fit their agendas.

@JustJimColo I don't buy that 3% own 80% of the guns or even 50%. That's...

Actually it is like saying:
out of every 300 people you can find 9 that each own 32 guns.

I know several people that own more than 20.

Not as far fetched as it sounds when you do the math.

@VicZinc Actually it is like saying: out of every 300 people you can find 9 that each own 32 guns. I know several people...

217 million people (Of age to own a gun) x 3% = 6.51 million people
80% of estimated guns in US is 320 million guns (400 million x .80 )
320 million divided by 6.5 million = 49.23 guns
So what you are saying is that 6.5 million people have 49 + guns in their homes.
At a very conservative price of 400 a gun, that would mean 6,500,000 individuals have about $20,000 in guns at their homes.
That’s plain ridiculous to believe

@JustJimColo 217 million people (Of age to own a gun) x 3% = 6.51 million people 80% of estimated guns in US is 320 million...

Hard to believe, unless you consider that 3% of Americans own 54% of the wealth. And that there are many examples of people being found with hundreds of guns stored in bunkers.

You are right that these numbers are a total guess and we will never know the truth - but the numbers are not so ridiculous as to be without merit.

@VicZinc Hard to believe, unless you consider that 3% of Americans own 54% of the wealth. And that there are many examples...

"Many" examples of people found with hundreds of guns stored in bunkers? Please enlighten me.... are you saying 4 or 5 constitutes "many" out of the hundreds of millions? Where is your data saying specifically who and how many? Even if they did, are they breaking the law?
If I was part of that 3% that you claim own 54% of the wealth, I'd have my own armed body guards. Are you saying people like Bill Gates have arsenals of weapons at home?

When you fail miserably in presenting numbers that aren't true, why do you always bring up the fact that there are rich people out there..... like it's a crime and they should give all their wealth to those who haven't earned it. The top 10% of wealthy people also pay 84% of the total income taxes. When people want more and more "free stuff", it isn't free, and the people who are paying for most of it are the ones that those receiving the freebies, complain about.
If it wasn't for the "wealthy", this country would never have grown or developed. If Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell and others hadn't developed computer technology as we know it today where would we be? If the wealthy 3% had not had the wealth and the vision to develop auto companies, aircraft companies, communications companies, building companies, manufacturing companies, and everything else that touches our lives, where would we be?

@JustJimColo "Many" examples of people found with hundreds of guns stored in bunkers? Please enlighten me.... are you saying 4...

Silly conversation because it is meaningless and I am not even sure of your point.

Is the data unlikely? yes
Is the data ridiculously unlikely? no
Does anyone think it is the rich people with all the guns? No
Are 4 or 5 examples many? yes
Do 97% of gun owners own less than 5 guns? probably
Do I care how many guns people have or who owns them? not in the least.

You said- "The point I am making is that in separate polls, the numbers are way different. In other words, nobody knows, and that's the way it should be. People just make up numbers to fit their agendas." Do I agree? 100%

Do I think it is possible that 3% of the people own 80% of the guns? I do think it's possible
Do I care? Not in the least bit, it is their right.

@2673171

Which is why I don't believe it

@2673290

Hence the question marks.

@2673805

Oops my bad. Wrong post.

Anyway the numbers did sound absurd. "Don't know how accurate it is" was the clue.

@2672954

I do. I also heard a lot of call for impeachment and overthrowing the previous administration. What goes around comes around I guess.

Anyone with any sense at all knows Trump is mentally unstable. By suppressing the press, he's turning into a dictator.....he needs to go, and go fast before he blows up our world.

The Second Amendment provides U.S. citizens the right to bear arms. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. That means even if Vic and the Kardashians don't like it.

Your athletes are free to express themselves - just not in the workplace if it violates employers rules - same as everyone else. No special privileges - not even for the black athletes.

@Budwick The Second Amendment provides U.S. citizens the right to bear arms. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms...

Amendment II

**A well //regulated militia**// , being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

@Piper2 Amendment II **A well //regulated militia**// , being necessary to the security of a free state, the right...

And if the state should become despotic and oppressive, to whom is this well-regulated militia supposed to belong, according to the Founders?

The despotic state?

Or the oppressed people?

@Thinkerbell And if the state should become despotic and oppressive, to whom is this well-regulated militia supposed to belong...

Clearly, what the "Founders" meant exactly, has and will be open to interpretation by whomever reads the amendment.

@Piper2 Clearly, what the "Founders" meant exactly, has and will be open to interpretation by whomever reads the...

Of course, but only the Supreme Court has the final say.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/w...062802134.html

'But Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., who wrote the opinion for the court's dominant conservatives, said: "It is clear that the Framers . . . counted the right to keep and bear arms among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty." '

And that decision was not the first time the Supreme Court affirmed an individual's right to keep and bear arms.

P.S. What is your opinion of what the Founders meant?

@Thinkerbell Of course, but only the Supreme Court has the final...

There IS that well regulated part in there. I do not think that the right to bear arms has ever been under any real threat. Most people agree about having a right to own gun(s), at least.
Which kinds and how and when they have a right to "bear" them will continue to be in question and disputed.

I do not know exactly what they meant. Things sure have changed a bit since 1791. I figure if a jack-booted SWAT team invades my home or property and kills my dog, and I shoot back, I'll likely be either dead or screwed by the law in some way . No matter that they had the wrong suspect or address. No matter the fire power of my gun, either.

@Piper2 There IS that well regulated part in there. I do not think that the right to bear arms has ever been under...

Yes, you probably would, acting as an individual. But what if you were part of a well-regulated militia?

Which brings us back to the question of what the Founders meant by that phrase. If you don't know exactly what they meant, do you have an approximate idea?

Why are you blaming Trump?Economy is going good,unemployment has gone

hootowls avatar hootowl Disagree 0Reply
@hootowl Why are you blaming Trump?Economy is going good,unemployment has gone

The german economy was doing good under hitler. Tyrannical leadership and economic results two different topics. I my desire to live in a country that suppressed freedom cannot be purchased with a booming stock market.

I feel Obama has brought us to this point.He did nothing for this country.

hootowls avatar hootowl Disagree 0Reply

I'm in favor of impeaching Trump, but even I have to concede it's a bit premature to invoke our Lockeian natural right to renegotiate the social contract. Consider: if Trump is impeached, he'll be tried by the Senate. The Senate is popularly elected. My point, then, is as follows: if the movement to impeach Trump had enough support behind it to win a civil war, Trump would already be impeached.

Unless you're claiming flaw with the representative electoral system of the US itself, that is. In which case, I agree that it's flawed, and acknowledge this as a hole in my argument. If someone can convince me the US electoral system is flawed enough to be called tyranny, maybe I'll stand in support of revolution.

jaimes avatar jaime Disagree 0Reply