Have you ever underwent a surgical procedure, that required you to be under general anaesthesia? How did it not feel?

Image for post Have you ever underwent a surgical procedure, that required you to be under general anaesthesia? How did it not feel?
68% Yes 26% No 0% I won't tell you 0% What does that mean? 5% Other
ZaraZoopers avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
6 27

Yes I have, and the interesting thing is, unlike sleep where there's a sense of time passing, with this you don't know you're going under nor do you know you are out until you wake up. But when I woke up, I was so relaxed, hungry and felt great. Apparently I was supposed to feel nauseous.

Great

I've had a few surgeries and general anesthesia without incident. But I had a very bad experience with my heart valve surgery because I woke up completely paralyzed. I could hear everyone asking me to respond, but couldn't lift a finger or flutter an eyelid. I was terrified. They later explained that a drug is used to keep the patient immobile during surgery, but it is supposed to wear off before the other meds.

@JanHaskell I've had a few surgeries and general anesthesia without incident. But I had a very bad experience with my heart...

I've heard of that happening before. I sounds like sleep paralysis but worse as it probably lasts longer. It sounds awful. I hope it didn't last too long.

@2675081

About 20 minutes. Worst moments of my life, as you know from experience!

The surgery went well, I felt nothing - which is great. What came after was the issue. I woke up in pain, with difficulty in breathing and feeling too hot. I couldn't even touch someone else's hand because the warmth of their hand felt horrible. Also, I found out I react badly to morphine. They gave me in the first night, but when I started to get nauseous, they changed it (I don't remember to what).

I also found out I'm a bitch right after a surgery xD I was in a horrible mood. Maybe it was because of the pain and the heat (both things I hate to feel), but I remember there was a lot of people that came to see me and I ignored everyone. I closed my eyes, and was falling asleep and awakening during the rest of the day. I just wanted to be left alone.

But the surgery in itself was good. I was afraid it wouldn't have effect and I would be awake during the procedure, but one moment I was looking at the nurse, and the next moment I was right outside the OR, and my mum was asking me how I was feeling.

I was also under another general anaesthesia when I was five (I think it was five), but I don't remember any of it. For what my mum tells me, everything went well.

@Sofia The surgery went well, I felt nothing - which is great. What came after was the issue. I woke up in pain, with...

My friend had an aunt who, after a surgery, said a lot of things to her visitors that she had to regret.

I don't know why you were hot. Maybe some infection or malignant hyperthermia due to dantrolene. And the pain can be unbearable. Often, these transient events are worth the results of the surgery. Rarely surgeries create a bigger mess than they were meant to clean.

I hope you need no more surgeries and always stay healthy.

@ZaraZooper My friend had an aunt who, after a surgery, said a lot of things to her visitors that she had to regret. I don't...

Ooh, that's bad. Luckily, I just stayed quiet. Most noticed I just wanted to be left alone, so they started talking between themselves and let me be.

I think it was because I was obese and it was summer. When I was in the room, it became better after a while (the room had AC).
Oh for sure, it was worth it. The first week was bad, but with the painkillers, it became bearable. And in the end, it fixed the problem I had.

Thank you. I hope the same :)

@2674531

I've heard Many people do wake up in a lot of pain. I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

Nope, I haven't had that experience.

I've had a number of surgeries that required a general anesthetic, including one last month for spinal surgery. Usually, I woke up with no pain but have been told this is normal because it takes various amounts of time for the full effect of the anesthetic to wear off. (It also gives time for all those little pieces of pain to call in their buddies so they can hit you all at once) I never experienced any sense of time when I was under. It went from looking up at the anesthesiologist for a couple seconds to waking up in a bed in the recovery room or in a hospital bed.

I don't think I like field medics.

How did it not feel...great considering I've had 2 operations on my lower spine.

Yes and I felt like it only lasted a second!

Nope and I hope I never have to go through an operation or procedure.

I've had 5 surgeries.All went well.It's the same as watching T.V.
and falling asleep.You wake up and say.The surgery is finished?

It went fine.

At 8 years old - benign chest tumor