Antidepressants, make depression worse and often leads to suicide?

40% Amirite 60% Other
SawyerRoses avatar People & Celebrities
4 11

Im sure that happens. I believe there is a lot of misdiagnosis and that would just be one reason.

I would think it would take a while to find the right one. There's not one medicine that everyone can take without some side effects.

@2675509

Isn't Wellbutrin great? I've known people who were able to quit their addictions with the help of Wellbutrin.

@2675509

I agree that anti depressants are lifesavers for many. But...mis diagnosis, improper dosing, improper type, all have been know to, in some, lead to erratic and dangerous behavior...including suicide.

Medicines can often have the opposite effects. That is why it is prudent to stay in close touch with your doctor when trying an antidepressant.

Nothing is always 100% perfect. Sometimes an SSRIs might increase depression by suicidal thoughts.

That would be a major flaw if they do so. Most antidepressants are
selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which means they block the cell receptors that take in that hormone. There are a lot of people that are unresponsive to antidepressants sometimes up to 30-50%. These are not some magic pills that fix the problem, they fight the symptom and dont start working until you've taken them for a while. If you're unlucky they might not work at all.

Medicine does not have a solid grasp on what exactly causes depression and how it's supposed to be cured, my experience with depression is that being social and spending time with your friends plus some variety in your days do help fight it.

They did with me. Got a large scar on my arm to remind me