TheCensoredBrits avatar Internet & Apps
17 52
@2676925

Right and keep track of your kid by watching and protecting them instead of letting them run wild then wondering what happened. Parents need to get better at their job.

Good article.

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +9Reply

Nice article, although I dont see anything new, the same risks exist for any smart device. At this modern age we're pretty much used to the convenience of all the smart devices we use.

@2679367

Very definitely nefarious business practices - they should be shutdown.

Most new technology comes with good and bad .

Why The heck do kids need a smart watch anyway?Security is never likely to be absolutely foolproof with these devices.Clever people can find a way into anything.No matter how much you educate your kids you can never be sure they are completely safe.

It's a bad idea but why do kids need watches anyway?

@2679397

I thought it first. smirk2 smilie

@Sukiesnow It's a bad idea but why do kids need watches anyway?

I see nothing. Wrong with a plain watch. Teach em how to tell time. A rare thing nowadays

@Anonymousmouse I see nothing. Wrong with a plain watch. Teach em how to tell time. A rare thing nowadays

Yes...there is nothing wrong with a plain watch...unless you are mud wrestling or playing any of the other games that kids play...like jumping from the hay mow or tree climbing. Then it can be superfluous.

I remember an article put out about a doll little girls could "talk to" to share thoughts about whatever girls talk about which could be used to mine personal information coming out of the conversation; I didn't keep the web address or I'd be more specific. Anyway, that too was a potential threat that was on store shelves.

The biggest problem I see with it is that it’s a huge distraction attached to to the wrist of a small child who needs to be focusing and learning about what’s going on around them. Kids need to learn about technology but not like this.

As a professional hacker/cracker, I can tell you guys this.

I don't own a watch. My own cell phone is the cheapest model Nokia one can buy. I used to have an Android, but deemed it to be too dangerous to own. Hell, I wouldn't even use this computer, unless it was a necessity in my current situation - Windows sucks ass.

@Maze What do you think of Blackberry 10 in terms of security?

It's not bad, actually.

I wouldn't want one, but, it's not bad.

@ZonkeyBalls It's not bad, actually. I wouldn't want one, but, it's not bad.

lol You and everyone else.

I have a Z10 as my phone, encrypted, with no downloaded apps and no app permissions given. It does everything I need it to, like make calls, set appointments, take pictures and videos, listen to music etc. But I made a conscious decision not to use a phone for entertainment, it's just a phone. Having a BB helps ensure I stick to that.

I assume it's not an OS a lot of hackers bother working on, since the payoff would be tiny compared to Android or iOS.

I can understand the appeal of such devices, and the resistance too. I don't have kids and I don't like the idea of wearing a phone, but if did, and I gave my kids something like that, I'd get a standard phone watch, not one intended specifically for kids. That way I wouldn't be painting a target on them, because it would just show up as a phone, not a kid's device. Then I'd make sure it's running good security software. Most watch phones run Android, so finding good security software shouldn't be difficult. As a bonus, a basic watch phone is about $35, which is a lot less than the devices in the story.

True, but how is this different than any other smart device? All tech is hackable. ALL TECH!

Reviews on Amazon for this product say it sucks - wasn't designed to work in the USA for some reason.

Yeah, ya gotta wonder if maybe we're a little too deep in technology.

@Budwick Reviews on Amazon for this product say it sucks - wasn't designed to work in the USA for some reason. Yeah, ya...

We were much too deep into it a very long time ago. When our local McDonald's card reader went down, they had to turn people away who didn't have the cash to pay for their orders - in today's world, that'd include most people. Instead of whipping out a pad of paper and pen to write the order(s), they lost out on several hundreds in sales. When banks go down, they go down in a big way... no non-electronic alternative. Imagine the threat of a large level EMP going off in cities around the country - again no non-electric backup. For the sake of speed and profit, we've boxed ourselves into a potentially-bigger mess.

@PartyOfOne We were much too deep into it a very long time ago. When our local McDonald's card reader went down, they had to...

Totally correct! When the register fails to show change to be received - the cashier 9 times out of 10 is dead in the water - can not make change.

The EMP thing scares the shit out me. In that event there will be chaos beyond imagination, extraordinary death toll - a true life changing event.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Right that is why i keep some cash hidden in my car and house , enough to get me thrugh a short emergency.

Very perceptive - I think that's a smart move as long as the cash doesn't get taken along with the car :)

Nice to see you again, Lorraine.

@PartyOfOne Very perceptive - I think that's a smart move as long as the cash doesn't get taken along with the car :) Nice to...

Well thank you PO1, Had no internet for a week big windstorms here blew all the wires ad trees down I have to go get money out of my car right now just got back from the bank, I only leave some in the car hidden under bunches of junk. Nobody could find it. Same in the house, being a packrat has some benefits biggrin smiliebiggrin smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Well thank you PO1, Had no internet for a week big windstorms here blew all the wires ad trees down I have to go...

We've been getting strong-ish winds over the last couple weeks (upstate NY) but no known local devastation, thankfully.

That's kind of a crafty idea with the "hidden in plain sight" money thing, lol - I never would have thought of that but it actually seems ingenious :D

Technology has made us all vulnerable. Keeping a child safe? Teach them how to be safe.
Phones, watches, ipads....those may be things children want, but...they are, in my mind burdens.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

sorry, that was an accident!

Sometimes my palm hits my touch pad on my laptop and it clicks the cursor down.I thought i was in Notepad but the cursor must have clicked down on the textbox here and i didnt notice. so when i hit enter, it entred on this site instead of what I was doing in notepad.

This comment was deleted.
@2687490

Any reason why you are spamming my question?

That must be expensive the big reason NOT to give it to a kid. Better to instal a phone finding divice in the kids clothing where they can't even find it, but you can then search for them and get directions to where they are exactly.

No technology no matter how “secure” companies claim it is is ever safe of hacking

Oh I sure wouldn't purchase one of those for my kids.

I am very blessed that my kids fully understand the dangers of things like that and the internet.

Thank ya for sharing the article.