+1

Feminism is a negative word....amirite?

I see the positive aspects of the word "feminism" but it seems as if I'm fighting an uphill battle... Why is that? Why has that one word become so negative?

Image for post **Feminism** is a negative word....//amirite?//
Sukiesnows avatar Politics
12 34

Not to me, and I've not known many women who are not some degree of a feminist. It's always been a negative word to some people, of course, but I understand why it's become more of one.
The most obnoxiously vocal of those who support most any good ideal, can give it a bad name with their extreme views.

Feminism was originally a positive thing: equal rights for women, but modern day feminism is NOT about equality, not by a longshot. It's unashamedly hateful towards men.
Most self-proclaimed male feminists are "useful idiots".

I support equal rights, and equal opportunities, that's why I don't support third wave feminism.

@Thedudeyouhatetomeet Feminism was originally a positive thing: equal rights for women, but modern day feminism is NOT about equality...

Could you expand on this at all? Especially what you mean when you said "male feminist"....

Depends on who you ask. Feminism as an idea was pure, get women the equal opportunities - pros AND cons just as same as men, fairness for women as much as men. THAT idea I like because it's only fair that way. However feminist groups of today aren't the same, a lot of them view men as the enemy and are biased against anything that would favor men. Seeing that you can understand why men don't want anything to do with feminism and because of that movements such as MGTOW emerged who have men just as sexist towards women as the feminist sexist towards men.

I was really fascinated by this topic years ago with many Youtubers covering them and I saw all kinds of people from both sides.

The connotation of the word feminist has changed.

Today's Liberal feminism...not my cup of tea.

Kind of. If feminism was equality, it would be called equality, not feminism. It's basically gender supremacy masquerading as fairness, though I'm sure a lot of feminists would disagree with that definition. But that's what I see.

I mean, turn the situation over and look at it from the other side. If men had a masculist movement, and masculists told you they were just seeking equality for men, would you buy that, or would you think their intention was to get a leg up on women?

So, I have no problem with gender equality, but I don't think feminism is about equality, it's about dominance.

To me, the word has a negative connotation. A strong, intelligent woman, doesn't need a "label". They don't feel they need to go out and join a group that wants/demands that others "give" them, what she has already obtained on her own.

Not to me.

Feminism in my small circle has always been a positive thing which supported women who were being abused and treated poorly in many ways. However from what I have discovered from reading online, in the US there have been extreme left wing movements that have called themselves feminists to hate on all men. I still support feminism in it's true form and I think it's needed more than ever, but I don't support it being hijacked like this... if what I have read is correct.

It's a word without connotation. It's simply a noun. Much like cabinet or fish. If it were a slur it'd be a negative word, or a word like "not" or "no" it'd be negative. Feminism is just feminism.

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Disagree +1Reply

modern day feminism is, and for good reason

Sure is to me.

Not the word itself, but the direction many zany women[even a number of men] have taken it to a negative turn.

Vrendowls avatar Vrendowl Disagree 0Reply

Just another word for being a man hating bitch

Anonymous