+11

The 'Mandela Effect' is a very real phenomena, and you have seen evidence of this conspiracy within your own life, amirite?

Common theories include: Berenstein vs Berenstain; Death of Nelson Mandela; Oscar Mayer vs Oscar Meyer; Sex IN the City vs Sex AND the City; Tip of Pikachu's tail; Curious George's tail; C3PO's full color; Fruit Loops vs Froot Loops; Looney Toons vs Looney Tunes and many more.

The Mandela EffectThe Mandela Effect is a name given to the phenomenon of the collective misremembering of specific facts or events. Does anyone know why it happens?https://www.snopes.com/2016/07/24/the-mandela-effect/
TheVibeAlchemists avatar Politics
11 10
The voters have decided that TheVibeAlchemist is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Ahah, yup.
I liked the Star Wars one.
The general knowledge is that Darth Vader says "Luke, I am your father". But he actually says "No, I am your father".

Sofias avatar Sofia Yeah You Are +6Reply

It usually seems to come up between my wife and I when telling stories. Some very specific event that we both attended and have different memories of the exact same incident. I believe I am right some of the time, but I'm pretty sure it's not all of the time. :)

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Will_Janitor It usually seems to come up between my wife and I when telling stories. Some very specific event that we both...

Every married man on the planet shares that experience. We can't all be that forgetful.

In my case it's a matter on knowing I got way better than I deserved (in the wife department), and I'm willing to suck it up to keep from rocking the boat.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Yeah You Are 0Reply

I'm aware that memories can be elusive, and that people can have seen the very same thing and remember it differently. First I've heard of the "Mandela Effect", but aside from a few of the speculations about our fallible memories, it sounds quite reasonable. :)

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Yeah You Are +5Reply

I haven't seen this in my life...but it's probably there and I shall give it more thought.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are +2Reply

Yes although the ones I remember aren't so specific.

As a witness to an accident I heard my own recollection of what happened and three others. The differences one to another were pretty dramatic - and we all saw the same thing just minutes earlier!

Since then I've often thought about how difficult it must be for detectives to ferret out the truth.

One sentence in the article that spoke volumes to me - "They [memories] can be distorted by any number of factors, including bias, association, imagination, and peer pressure.