Amazon Key to allow delivery of packages inside your home when you're away. Are you cool with that?

"AMAZON is looking to take its package delivery service one step further — inside your home.

Instead of dropping off on the porch, a new service announced Wednesday would allow Amazon to unlock your door and gain access to your home — whether you’re there or not — to leave the packages inside.

Amazon Key is rolling out next month in Chicago and 36 other cities. It requires an Amazon Prime membership, a $250 installation kit and a degree of trust in granting delivery drivers access to your home.

The system, which includes a keyless-entry door lock, a video camera and real-time notification to watch the event as it happens, may deliver peace of mind to some customers by thwarting the growing problem of porch pirating — thieves that swipe packages before they get to the rightful recipient."

Image for post Amazon Key to allow delivery of packages inside your home when you're away. Are you cool with that?
4% I'm cool with that... 96% Do not enter... 0% Other
Dars avatar Internet & Apps
9 53
@2682977

I'm with you on the 50/50.

@2683016

The gist is to cut down on thefts, too bad we can cut down on criminals.

Nope! I live in a small gated complex, and I'd rather trust my neighbors than a stranger. It's worked well for many years.

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Do not enter... +11Reply
@2682989

Heck, if they did laundry and the dishes I might think about it.

@2682998

I think they're opening themselves up to some unpredictable occurrences.

@2683005

Indeed. ~)

Not at all. Nobody comes into my home with me or my family opening the door and inviting them inside.

JustJimColos avatar JustJimColo Do not enter... +10Reply

Not a chance.

No trespassing!

Mashas avatar Masha Do not enter... +10Reply

Some will find this a good system but personally I don't even like cleaning staff in hotels entering my room to clean so someone entering my home doesn't really appeal, but having said that, the system they have in place with locks and cameras etc sounds safe enough. Of course anyone who loses their keys will probably blame the Amazon driver and they'll have to review the video's etc which will be an issue.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Do not enter... +10Reply
@2683637

And it does to a lot of people. I had a housecleaning business in Texas for 3 years. The same 9 customers. They were grateful to have a trustworthy person in their home. And they were all great to work for. Trust is earned and I respected their trust in me.

@2683637

In most of the shared rental places I've lived in, it was common for everyone to chip in for a cleaning service once per week to do things like clean the floors and bathroom etc but everyone had locks on their bedroom doors.

I'm in the same situation now and I dislike it when the cleaning person turns up. But then again, house sharing with anyone I'm not in a relationship with always gives me the same feeling, especially when they have friends or partners over.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Do not enter... +2Reply

Ain't gonna happen! Pups won't let anyone in, ... alive.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Do not enter... +9Reply
@Budwick Ain't gonna happen! Pups won't let anyone in, ... alive.

Headline..."Amazon delivery driver mauled by pups"

@Dar Headline..."Amazon delivery driver mauled by pups"

Yeah, I suppose. Here's a quote from the homeowner -
"I never signed up for that stupid service. The delivery dude should have never opened the door!
No, the dogs will not be punished! They did their job."

Budwicks avatar Budwick Do not enter... +1Reply

But it might work for someone who orders a lot from Amazon....

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Do not enter... +9Reply
@Sukiesnow But it might work for someone who orders a lot from Amazon....

My husband is an Amazon fanatic. If it doesn't fit in the mailbox I will pick it up the next day.

@Dar My husband is an Amazon fanatic. If it doesn't fit in the mailbox I will pick it up the next day.

I could be one, too...trouble is paying for it all...especially shipping...

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Do not enter... +1Reply
@Sukiesnow I could be one, too...trouble is paying for it all...especially shipping...

We pay the Prime membership and are careful, most of the time, to get the free shipping. It's worth the $99.00 a year to save on what can be stupid high shipping fees.

I wouldn't trust a delivery person in my home

Creamcrackereds avatar Creamcrackered Do not enter... +8Reply
@2683235

Trusted neighbors. We all aren't so lucky Freeranger.

@2683771

Yep, love it! This one was on my front door in Texas.

@2684285

LoL Yes, brown paper wrapped packages.

@2684947

Where was my mind...

My dog is not going to like this, at all. We're home most of the time and we don't use Amazon so I think we are good on this one.

No way. Why is it these giant tech companies always want to violate people's boundaries? I can't stand Amazon personally, they're killing retail and they're not even turning a profit, it's fakery on a massive scale. The only way their business model makes sense is if they plan to wipe out all their competition and then raise prices. They'll never get a nickel from me.

@2684752

I'm excellent by nature Bub. a smilie

@2684792

I think we covered that...Sir.

@2684795

Hmmmmm...what would it take to assuage those feelings.

@2684801

I have never met a man who didn't like to be "assuaged" on occasion.

In other words, a Bub Groupie. LoL I think you already have a few!

Nope, I've seen some of the Amazon delivery drivers, I wouldn't trust most of them to deliver my pizza to me without spitting on it first.

Flrdsgnss avatar Flrdsgns Do not enter... +1Reply

Um...I don't even let people I know in my home...ain't about to let a complete stranger in it. I have all my packages delivered to a friends house then he drops them off to me at work on his way to work.

🦋

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess Do not enter... 0Reply