+8

I don't stop working because I am tired or bored, I keep working until the job is done. I don't work for the money or because people expect me to, I work because I would be disappointed in myself if didn't. I work to pretend that my contribution to society matters. It doesn't, but I pretend.

VicZincs avatar Jobs & Employment
6 19

Mostly the same, although for me now at least, money is a major factor, the other aspect is the social one as it's the only way I really get to interact with others to any extent.

It's just a dream.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@VicZinc Yours

Yes...
You gave it to me. Thank you, vic.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

Yes it does matter.

@JerryHendrickson Yes it does matter.

I suppose to some people it matters. Like my family would not like it if I did not work. I just wonder when the world ends - did any of it matter?

@VicZinc I suppose to some people it matters. Like my family would not like it if I did not work. I just wonder when the...

I don't know what your beliefs are on an afterlife but I think life is just a test and everything you do is part of your story. Maybe it's time to consider a career change? I'm kind of an old geezer and did so myself. Find something that makes you feel like you're making a difference.

@JerryHendrickson I don't know what your beliefs are on an afterlife but I think life is just a test and everything you do is part...

I have always felt like I was making a difference. I am on my third career and have always looked forward to going to work.

Even if I believe in the Christian heaven, Jesus didn't "work" nor did John the Baptist. Did they make a difference? To some, I guess, but had they not, would they still be in "heaven" - I would guess 'yes'. Can someone never work a day in their life, give themselves to faith, never sin and go to heaven? I do not know what you believe, but I seriously think what we do for a 'living' makes no matter what-so-ever when the Earth is no longer populated by humans.

I agree with you because my parents raised me with the same work ethic. I see so many young people these days who don't seem to have been raised that way (for example, the children of my neighbors who live in the houses which are next door to mine).

I have some snot coming out of my ass. I'm not certain, if it's supposed to work that way.

@2685049

Living in caves. If everyone. What if just one stopped and everyone else kept it up?

Gaspar Schott once asked, " what makes the sound when a bushel of wheat cascades to the floor? Is it the first grain? No. The second? No." He was implying that no one person makes a difference but that the collection of people do. The entire basket makes the sound but no single grain can be heard alone.

@2685308

Yes, me either. But I honestly do not work because of that, I work because it feels bad not to work.

Anonymous