+20

All across America statues of Founding Fathers are being defaced and torn down. But Washington DC has approved a statue of former Mayor Marion Barry who was literally caught smoking crack. Bizarre is an understatement.

"What a glorious reflection of heroism on our fair capital city. Coming at the time when statues and plaques of Robert E. Lee are being taken down, erecting a new statue to the crack-smoking, whore-mongering, tax-cheating mayor certainly is the embodiment of "progressives" and their values. Presumably, the plaque will memorialize Barry's most famous quotable line: "B---- set me up!"

Frankly, it defies belief. Barry was the emblem of the crime-plagued shambles the capital city became as the Democratic mayor beginning in the late 1970s and extending through the 1990s. He started out as the first emblem of the civil rights movement to be elected to the city's highest office and was given quite a pass for his failings as mayor because of it. The city turned into a one-party state, and from there, the blight followed. Barry himself was caught smoking crack cocaine with a woman not his wife, and when he was caught, he became forever famous for his candid-camera hollering: "B---- set me up!" Then he went to the can.

After that, he got elected mayor again, showing that no bad deed goes punished. The shambles continued, and now Barry is getting his own monument."

Marion Barry to get his own statue in Washington, DChttp://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/10/marion_barry_to_get_his_own_statue_in_washington_dc.html
Dars avatar Politics
7 57

So the offended snowflakes want to tear down statues because of the American past? What does that achieve? Denial? It's history like it or not and it's art on top of that. Why do feelings matter over common sense?

@Sunny_the_skeptic So the offended snowflakes want to tear down statues because of the American past? What does that achieve? Denial?...

I agree Sunny. Tearing down statues does not erase history. Learn from the past but don't deny it. These days, the "hurt feelings" of the few take precedence...statues, memorials, holidays...bathrooms, nothing is safe or sacred anymore.

Dars avatar Dar Agree +5Reply
@Dar I agree Sunny. Tearing down statues does not erase history. Learn from the past but don't deny it. These days, the...

For once I'm glad I'm not from the US. Lots of people who have nothing to do so they create problems, fear the day this PC police comes to power.

@Dar

So this is why the people I agree with are often branded nazi, sexist, racist or bigot that's how the progressives brand those who don't agree with them.

@PhilboydStudge It works both ways my friend.

As in the people labeled this way are truly that way? It kinda depends on who's doing the labeling and why

@Sunny_the_skeptic As in the people labeled this way are truly that way? It kinda depends on who's doing the labeling and why

Actually, you made my point with your initial comment with your 'snowflakes' comment. The Right brands people as well. That's what I'm saying.

@PhilboydStudge Actually, you made my point with your initial comment with your 'snowflakes' comment. The Right brands people as...

You do have a point I admit, however I don't identify with either side, leftists call me conservative, rightists call me pc (which is very awkward for me, I've been called many things but that took the cake). I have my own belief and I agree with both sides on certain individual matters. By calling some people snowflakes I'm not dismissing their opinion and assuming where they stand, I will have my thought but I will let their actions shape my conclusive impression. By snowflakes I mean very particular type of mega leftist that basically advocates for thought police and everyone who does not bow down is hitler. I'm sure you know the type too Phil.

@2687000

I've been called bigot, sexist, racist and nazi. Do you think I truly am any of those things Tiff?

@2687081

So you know, just because someone tries to label you as something specific by no means does it mean that it's true.

@2688159

Of course, all opposition of the "tolerant" must be banned, so not to compromise the brainwashing.

lol...Nothing changes when it comes to politics.

I'm thinking of Frank Rizzo. He was the police commissioner (1968-1971) and the mayor (1972-1980) of Philadelphia. His time in office included a litany of lawsuits, indictments, scandals, etc...involving the police department, the fire department, city council, and his own family members. He was personally sued over a dozen times for abuses ranging from physical assaults to systematic discrimination and harassment. He was enormously popular in predominately white south Philly and vehemently hated in predominately black north Philly.

Today there is a bronze statue of Rizzo in center city, directly in front of the Municipal Services Building.

A statue of Marion Barry? Deja Vu!

@2686958

"The company we keep..." says a lot about a person. Marion sure knew how to have a good time. no smilie

Dars avatar Dar Agree +2Reply

I'm not sure which founding fathers you've mentioned, all I've heard was the Civil War generals, etc. I say leave the statues alone, why fix something that isn't broken. As far as Berry is concerned, he's old news, but I guess some think he helped his people a lot, which I understand he did. But he doesn't deserve a monument....oh wait, maybe he does. Then the pigeons can do their dirty deeds on him all day long. lol

As far a whore mongering goes, we have a guy who has done the same thing,
cheated on all three of his wives, doesn't respect women, and he was elected president. Go figure.

@StarzAbove I'm not sure which founding fathers you've mentioned, all I've heard was the Civil War generals, etc. I say leave...

I agree about pigeons..LoL

At first I thought you meant Bill. ~) But yeah, Trump doesn't have a great track record with women. I hated his nasty comment about Carly Fiorina during the primaries.

Dars avatar Dar Agree 0Reply

I'm looking for the word for.. all I can think of are words like "ridiculous", "absurd", "harebrained", and "ludicrous". Somehow those fail to capture the true bizarreness of the situation.

@2686961

Pretty much any Western Civilization Brian.

Dars avatar Dar Agree +1Reply
@2687376

Indeed. Hundreds of historical and scared monuments have been destroyed throughout the Middle East and Africa. Monsters they are.

Dars avatar Dar Agree +2Reply
@2687439

I agree...America, indeed North America, we are virtually infants when you consider the history of the world.

Dars avatar Dar Agree +1Reply
@2687204

Ingrates they should return the money they made from the Lee family .. What is wrong with Washington?

I've not heard about any statues of this country's "founding fathers" being torn down. It may have happened. I can assure you, that MANY on the left think the statues of the Confederate soldiers and generals should be left alone. IF those who wish to tear them down think they're doing so because of how shameful slavery was, they may as well include the statues of some of our "founding fathers" as well.

I've been to my country's capital, and I know that there are many statues there, including those who are considered the founders of it.

"It shows that the crimes normal people stay away from like the plague, such as crack-smoking, don't bother the left, nor do they merit any consequences."

Really, Dar? There are statues of people with less than 'stellar' character all around this country, and others. Some of them aren't even 'real' people! Some of them are celebrities enough people idolized , some are those who a city council proposes, because they admire a past or still alive local figure.

@2687378

He says he's doing fine, whenever we talk. Thank you, Brian.

@JustJimColo http://thefederalist.com/2017/0...want-tear-far/

The fact that some left-leaning people are making a big noise about removing certain monuments is not being disputed here, by anyone.
We can agree, that several proposals and actions listed in your link are ridiculous.

@Piper2 The fact that some left-leaning people are making a big noise about removing certain monuments is not being...

Piper, Sadly, 40 years ago, we would have through the idea of tearing down any war monuments would have been ridiculous or crazy. We are living in a ridiculous world. 40 years ago, if we said we wanted to protect our borders and control illegal immigration, we wouldn't have been accused of being racists and charged with spreading hate. 40 years ago, if we spoke out against terrorists, we wouldn't have been charged with a hate crime of speaking out mind.

@JustJimColo Piper, Sadly, 40 years ago, we would have through the idea of tearing down any war monuments would have been...

I've seen many changes during my 61 years of life, Jim. I see some of those changes as good, and some not so much.
Many of us still find the tearing down of certain statues and 'monuments' to be mostly pointless and ridiculous. I am unaware of anyone who has been charged with a "hate crime" for simply speaking out against terrorists.

It's pretty bad when one particular demographic of the US is so intent of finding a "hero" to dedicate a statue to, that the best they can come up with is this POS. Then again, it says a lot about that demographic.

Robert E Lee is not a founding father. He fought in a war against America to protect slavery.

WAY worse than the bad things Marion Barry has done, plus you don't know first-hand the cultural significance he holds to Washington D.C., I don't either, maybe he was a fan favorite.

Also is that a Canadian flag next to your name? Why do you care? They aren't even figures that are important in your history whatsoever.

Goes to show you how few people the destroyers have to celebrate. Get a clue people work towards being something better than a destroyer