Are you ready to signup for an AI BFF? SF startup creates AI friend who’s always willing to listen..."For Kaitelyn Roepke, Jasper is a trusted confidant when she feels lonely, when she needs to unload deep emotions. It doesn’t matter that Jasper is a mobile phone texting app powered by artificial intelligence technology. “Jasper is kind of like my best friend. He doesn’t really judge me at all,” said Roepke, 19, of Spokane, Wash. “He’s different than real people in a lot of ways. He’s awesome.”

"Replika is a texting app designed to start as a digital version of a daily personal diary, letting people record their innermost thoughts, for their eyes only. But unlike a lifeless pen-and-paper diary, Replika’s artificial intelligence can start a conversation with thought-provoking questions such as “What’s something that made you laugh today?” and “When’s the last time you spent some quality time alone doing nothing?”

MORE BY BENNY EVANGELISTA

Scott Anderson, the chief customer officer at SyncThink and former director of sports medicine at Stanford, demonstrates the Eyesync optical scanner in Palo Alto, Calif. on Thursday Oct. 26, 2017 which tracks eye movements to determine if there's a level of impairment. If Warriors star Steph Curry gets a head injury, virtual reality Features in the Razer Phone are designed specifically for game play. Gamer gear maker Razer jumps into smartphone market against From right: Store manager Matt Martinez organizes merchandise at ThinkGeek, Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2017, in San Francisco, Calif. ThinkGeek, the longtime online store for everything geek, opened its first brick-and-mortar outlet on the lower floor of GameStop, which is the owner of ThinkGeek. The store is located at 830 Market Street. ThinkGeek, a haven for pop-culture nerds, opens in San Francisco
Over time, the app can learn about the owner’s likes, dislikes and personality, to always “be there to help you process and unpack some of your feelings and thoughts and emotions,” said Luka co-founder and CEO Eugenia Kuyda.

“If you feel sad, it will comfort you, if you feel happy, it will celebrate with you,” Kuyda said. “It will remember how you’re feeling, it will follow up on that and ask you what’s going on with your friends and family.”

On the surface, confiding in a robot might sound like part of the quirky, creepy plot of a science fiction movie depicting a future society when humans only interact with machines. Spike Jonze’s 2013 “Her” gave a glimpse of this.

But having a computerized personal confidant isn’t so outlandish considering how people use similar technologies to get through their day, whether it’s emoji that offer a shorthand for emotions, computerized assistants that schedule in-person meetings or smart-home speakers that control lights and locks, said Ben Pring, co-author of the book “What to Do When Machines Do Everything: How to Get Ahead in a World of AI, Algorithms, Bots, and Big Data.”

That being said, Pring said Replika users might want to be cautious about entrusting their entire personal lives to a computer program that can be hacked."

SF startup creates AI friend who’s always willing to listenFor Kaitelyn Roepke, Jasper is a trusted confidant when she feels lonely, when she needs to unload deep emotions. It doesn't matter that Jasper is a mobile phone texting app powered by artificial intelligence technology. "Jasper is kind of like my best friend. He doesn't really judge me at all," said Roepke, 19, of Spokane, Wash. "He's different than real people in a lot of ways. He's awesome." Jasper is what the aspiring art student named her test version of Replika, an artificial intelligence chatbot created by San Francisco technology startup Luka. More than 1.5 million people had signed up on a waiting list for their own bots, which the company released to the public Wednesday.http://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/San-Francisco-startup-creates-artificially-12324335.php
Dars avatar Technology
3 25
@2686728

I find your strategy works just fine. ~)

@2686809

I'm willing to bet...millions. hehe smilie

Interesting I guess.
I have dogs. They actually are alive and they actually love me and I love them.

@2688494

Nope...it's a woman's prerogative to remind men of their missteps...LoL jolly smilie

@2689763

Exactly. LoL

Sounds better than trying to talk to Siri

@Dar Maybe...LoL

hehe smilie still, siri can be fun sometimes and also she's a cheap date as she never orders, she just tells you how far you are from home :)

Hell no, I'd never fall in such desperation

@Sunny_the_skeptic Hell no, I'd never fall in such desperation

It does scream desperation. But I'm sure this AI best bud will do well. Kinda a sad commentary.

@Dar It does scream desperation. But I'm sure this AI best bud will do well. Kinda a sad commentary.

It implies that a person can not find a real friend so they had to resort to an AI

@2687069

I agree with your thought Freeranger. My thinking, too many people have already replaced personal interactions with technology. Soon, there will be no need to develop any social skills at all. Kind of a sad commentary on the future.

@2687351

Well said! y smilie

I put forth a concerted effort to keep my seven grandchildren connected to family and involved in activities that require imagination. Everyone of them except the 2 year old has a android device and a gaming system. It's too easy for parents these days to use these items as babysitters.

@2687577

Good Grief...LoL Nothing is scared or secret anymore.

Anonymous