Of a lot of music - songs - I base my likes and dislikes largely on melody with lyrics hugging a close second. Are any of you similar-minded?

Image for post Of a lot of music - songs - I base my likes and dislikes largely on melody with lyrics hugging a close second. Are any of you similar-minded?
PartyOfOnes avatar Music
10 40
@2687810

A thought and truth well put ;) Thanks for lending your thoughts, Rooster... always appreciated!

@2687920

Thanks for your input, Tiffanee, and your presence - I appreciate both, very much :)

@2687852

Harmony, yes! My sister and I used to sing at the drainboard while we washed and dried the dishes - she was the one with any vocal integrity that saved the song... she also had an excellent ear for harmonizing impromptu; she and my dad were the family vocalists and musicians.

Thanks for your post, Syn - I appreciate your input!

I'm similar-minded...I love this tune, but what are the lyrics? ;)

I agree too, although some songs I do reject on lyrics first hehe smilie

@OzSurfer I agree too, although some songs I do reject on lyrics first

Lol... that goes waaaaay back :) and, yeah, I can definitely see your point :-Þ

Thank you kindly, good sir ;)

... and also...

@OzSurfer ... and also...

Yup, I can see how that'd inhibit any expectation of a melody lol :Þ That one, too, goes waaaay back :)

Thanks for posting, it's appreciated :)

@PartyOfOne Yup, I can see how that'd inhibit any expectation of a melody lol :Þ That one, too, goes waaaay back :) Thanks...

hehe thanks for posting too, I thought it was a fun opportunity to post something crazy from the 60's :)

@OzSurfer hehe thanks for posting too, I thought it was a fun opportunity to post something crazy from the 60's :)

Glad you did - it was definitely a colorful era ;D

It's closing in on 6 AM and I haven't slept yet so I'll wish you a g'day and a few more chuckles along the way - be good to yourself :)

Both are important, either alone (the reading of a poem, or music without lyrics can be wonderful too) or together (when wonderful lyrics harmonise with great music).
smile smilie

@Marianne Both are important, either alone (the reading of a poem, or music without lyrics can be wonderful too) or together...

Thanks for you input, Marianne. :D I usually don't get some of the lyrics to some songs so I've settled with that. A hollow-body guitar, a violin, a female's vocal in a song can often surpass the emotion you can squeeze from a song's lyrics - often, not always :)

@PartyOfOne Thanks for you input, Marianne. :D I usually don't get some of the lyrics to some songs so I've settled with that...

Of course, you can't always understand the lyrics - take, for instance, operas ...

So, the music is very important.

But in certain cases, the "wrong" lyrics can destroy the whole beauty of a song.

@Marianne

When you sent that I was 3 seconds away from logging off :) I'm so sleepy. I'll have to check it later, my friend.

Thanks for your company, today :)

@Marianne No problem, sweet dreams to you, PartyOfOne.

I think Bach's piece is consoling in a lightweight type of way; it'd also be excellent background while doing houshold chores - that's in no way meant to belittle his work nor this piece :D

Thanks for sharing "Air" with me :) I'll wish you the best in your day yet to come ;)

@PartyOfOne I think Bach's piece is consoling in a lightweight type of way; it'd also be excellent background while doing...

Yes, it may sound light, but it is filled with questions and wishes - a quest for inner peace.

Or would you prefer Grieg?

or Chopin?

@Marianne Yes, it may sound light, but it is filled with questions and wishes - a quest for inner peace. Or would you...

My experience has been vastly limited to one or two pieces of this or that composer within the realm of "classical music". Overall, I'm not into music too much nor too often - I go long months without intentionally listening to anyone's skills with octaves, regardless of genre :) When the mood strikes, though, I'll dig in for a few hours (on and off) to listen to songs from my era... not too much from the 1700s :)

Of Mozart I remember liking his Symphony No. 40 in G minor. Of Edvard Grieg I know only his "In The Hall of The Mountain King" and the movie that portrayed him as a young adult - and of Chopin I know only one Polonaise though I couldn't tell you which :) When I decide to gravitate toward music it's been, again, a short-lived and erratic mood - various genres and so forth :)

@Marianne No problem, music has many styles; how about Herbie Hancock?

Inventive but definitely not my thing, lol. The music I listen to comes out of a mood or passing situation - fleeting desire :) I'm a poor sounding board if you're looking for feedback on music :D

@2696890

:) Thanks for putting your point of view out there... I appreciate you taking the time to do that :D

I love music. Can’t go a day without it. Mainly all genres of heavy metal. As well as country music

@Anonymousmouse I love music. Can’t go a day without it. Mainly all genres of heavy metal. As well as country music

You're right up there with almost everyone else who needs that daily infusion - not a bad thing at all ;D I lose my train of thought when music's playing so I save that for when I have little else on my mind.

Thanks for giving your feedback on the issue, it's appreciated ;D