Have people become apathetic of the soldiers overseas fighting Islamic Terrorism?

Those of us old enough to remember Viet Nam, remember the news stations covering it. Every night, we watched as the images of the fighting showed the dead and wounded being carried off of the battlefield. We watched as American soldiers were loaded into helicopters to be air lifted to military hospitals. For the first time in history, many watched from their living rooms as war, and the horrors of war were brought into our living rooms for the first time, and the reality of war unfolded on the TV screens in front of them during dinner. The term “body count” was added to our everyday vocabulary. Every night, we heard the number of Americans killed in action for that day. We heard the number of enemy combatants that were killed, and if the number of the enemy killed was much greater than the number of Americans, it was deemed a victory. We all mourned as a nation for those killed, and we all knew someone who had, or were currently fighting in that war. Often it was a family member, a former classmate, or someone who lived down the street. It was on everyone’s mind, especially those graduating from high school, wondering if they were next to have to go.
Why aren’t we seeing this on our TV’s today? Why isn’t this war on terrorism that is being fought by the military being shown to remind us that there are Americans, Brits and military from other countries, dying every day in foreign countries? Why doesn’t the “media”, show us what these men and women are facing every day? Why aren’t they showing us the hardships, the sacrifice and the suffering? When was the last time you heard a reporter give the number of dead for that day? Sure, there are rare cases of reports of our dead, but it seems to me, that those dead are being reported to further some political agenda rather than honoring the sacrifice those who died made. Maybe it just isn't newsworthy anymore. Has it gotten to the point that the only time we hear, or think about what is taking place every day, is on Veterans Day, or Memorial Day, or during a political speech?

America has been in this war for 16 years now. Have people become so desensitized over the years that reporting on it only rates “mention” in some local newspapers obituaries? Why is it that we only hear about the fight against terrorists today, when they strike here, in our cities? Why have so many ignored or forgotten about those fighting abroad?

6% I don't think about it. 6% It's not my fight. 41% I support the military. 12% I don't support the military. 6% Who cares? 18% Other: 12% Other
JustJimColos avatar Law
6 33
@2688554

Just think of those family's who had someone in Viet Nam, or today, in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other countries and the phone rings at 2 in the morning. The heart skips a beat. I'm sure your Mom experienced it.

@2688560

A mother and fathers worst nightmare.

@2688554

I think he is still orbiting the Moon, Robt.

It certainly isn't covered very well in the media. Whether that is by their choice or the government withholding the information, I don't know.

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor I support the military. +1Reply

I have mixed feelings about this thing, the soldiers themselves are swayed with patriotism and the thirst for justice so nothing bad on them. There's the difference between reason and occasion, I feel like the truth is not so simple as us the normal folk think.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I have mixed feelings about this thing, the soldiers themselves are swayed with patriotism and the thirst for...

Sunny, I really wasn't writing this from a perspective of the war being right or wrong, moral or immoral. I wrote it more from the perspective that it isn't really covered or reported at all. Here is an example what of that time period and how it was reported. While the war may have been politically charged, it generally wasn't politicized in the reporting, (except during elections) <s>
https://video.search.yahoo.com/...4a9dd95e42f8d4

I have seen enough war. These days, I usually go for silly YouTube videos.

@2688783

That's the big question Boz.... Why?

@2688785

Bingo.

But I like the way you put things into words.

I support the military and think how much they must love this country,to sacrifice so much.

hootowls avatar hootowl I support the military. +1Reply

Fantastic post JIM..So many of our brave men and woman have signed their lives away to serve in our military..whether in combat or not. Some people are just stupid to think that they have a free life for free

I think after sifting through all the news of the day, the readers become so inundated with bad news that the one item becomes another of the same depressing load.

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne I don't think about it. +1Reply

Yup. Viet Nam was my era.

I guess the conflicts we're involved in [and winning most recently] are not fitting the media / leftist agenda. Why else would they not report on it?

Budwicks avatar Budwick I support the military. 0Reply

Our troops are not fighting terrorism they are creating it.
The best way to combat terrorism is to stop participating in it.

@urwutuis Our troops are not fighting terrorism they are creating it. The best way to combat terrorism is to stop...

Uhhhhhhh yeah.... I'll move on to somebody with at least come semblance of connection with reality....

@JustJimColo Uhhhhhhh yeah.... I'll move on to somebody with at least come semblance of connection with reality....

Oh, that's rich.
You buy the "War of Terror" and I'm disconnected.
Do you think they hate us because we're free?

You want reality? The US is involved in more acts of terrorism than the rest of the world combined.
If you think we're in the Middle East, or anywhere else for that matter, to combat terrorism you need to wake up and smell the cordite 'cause you don't have a clue.

@urwutuis Oh, that's rich. You buy the "War of Terror" and I'm disconnected. Do you think they hate us because we're...

You are delusional. Do you know how to read? Try some history books. Read about Islam and the history of them trying to convert the world by violence for centuries.
Have you been to the Middle East? Have you ever even worn the uniform and faced the enemy? I thought not. Ever been to Europe? I doubt it. If you had, you'd see the islamic scum of the earth terrorists all over the place, killing, raping and stealing everywhere.
You're one of those kids who, if we did what you suggest, would say, Why didn't you do something to stop this," ten years from now. Your mentality was the same as those during WWII who wanted us to surrender to Japan after Pearl Harbor.

@JustJimColo You are delusional. Do you know how to read? Try some history books. Read about Islam and the history of them...

I did my time in SE Asia so little piss ants like you could talk smack on the web so fuck you.
And as for your friends friends fuck them too. Both of them
After 17 years, countless lives and trillions of dollars you still don't get it and likely never will.

Who was president the last time you cracked a history book , JustJim?
I'd like to know where you get your misinformation.

You have been indoctrinated by the propaganda machine.

@JustJimColo Sounds like a wanna be to me... ROFL

Wait, don't tell me. You had bone spurs. Why am I not surprised. Just another chicken hawk.
Stupid AND spineless.

@urwutuis Wait, don't tell me. You had bone spurs. Why am I not surprised. Just another chicken hawk. Stupid AND spineless.

Look at my profile shit for brains. 30 + years. I went in in Jan 72 as a grunt? When did you go in? What was your MOS? I doubt if you were ever even in at all. There are a LOT of real Vets on this site. They are easy to identify. They aren't full of shit when they talk about their military service. They don't write like they have a 3rd grade education. It disgusts me when I see people pretending to be something they never were. It disgusts me when I see people like you dishonoring those who have served, and are NOW serving.

I'm very aware of the reality of war in the middle east today, I have family and friends over there and you prayer they come home safe, that said one is already suffering psychologically from what he's seen. War today is fought with IED's and drones, I wonder why we still need our soldiers or in the eyes of the elite "cannon fodder." I don't believe the war in the middle east is about protecting our country, we are not fighting on our own land, we're fighting on theirs, I think it is more of a political war, oil, gold, and natural gases that the West don't want to pay the middle east for. Many soldiers get over there and don't know what they are fighting for. I don't believe we know everything, and its meant to be that way, the truth does sneak out in the media from time to time.

War also makes money, they build weapons and sell them, they test out new technology, and it bankrupts countries, look at Europe after world war I and II. A bankrupt country is easier to control, the league of nations and the EU came out of those wars, they changed the map, they have changed the face of Europe, Europe has been flooded with immigration, by a non cap policy of freedom of movement, and throughh refugees. There are no longer sovereign states in Europe but one state run by a bunch of burocrats in Brussels. This is a globalist agenda and its being funded by The Crown. The Jews know that if they are not the dominant race in their country then they lose their democracy, which is why they only took 100 refugee babies from Syria, they wouldn't want adults as they breed. No Arab country took refugees, they were pushed towards European countries.