What is the difference between wanting to become immortal and wanting to go to heaven?

When people are asked, "Would you like to live forever?" there are always a bunch of qualifiers and a large percentage of them say no, because they think they would get bored after so many years. I was just thinking about that and then I started wondering about the billions of people that say they want to go to heaven. Wouldn't the same argument be applicable? How long would you want to play your harp and worship your God before you got bored? I guess if the alternative was torture in hell forever that would have to be considered.

Image for post What is the difference between wanting to become immortal and wanting to go to heaven?
44% It's this: 16% There is no difference. 8% Don't make me think. 12% Forever is a long long long long time. 4% Just hand me a beer and shut up. 16% Other
Will_Janitors avatar Religion
15 40

I don't know for sure, but I think those wishing to become immortal, want to be immortal in the world they live in, where those with religious beliefs hope for immortality in some kind of utopian existance.

@JustJimColo I don't know for sure, but I think those wishing to become immortal, want to be immortal in the world they live in...

I agree. I just wonder about the forever and ever part. The number of decisions we make in our lives that are related to the fact that we will die someday are amazing. What we eat, how we save for retirement, making your legacy, when or if we plan for children, our bucket list, all because we have an unknown end date. If you take that away, even in the nicest environment, I eventually see boredom setting in. Maybe. :)

@Will_Janitor I agree. I just wonder about the forever and ever part. The number of decisions we make in our lives that are...

I used to wonder what would happen if I had infinity to play with. Either it's boredom, or infinity has an infinite number of new experiences and wonders. (Either that or we'll all be in a state of Alzheimer's and be able to enjoy re-runs of Gilligan's Island as new episodes for eternity)
The other part about watching what we eat, planning for retirement and what we hope we can leave for our children centers around giving them the best we can for the life they lead here. If we only get one shot at life, it's better to have an enjoyable one.

@JustJimColo I used to wonder what would happen if I had infinity to play with. Either it's boredom, or infinity has an...

JustJim - It must be boring after a few centuries. At least that is what all the vampire novels say. Just think how many times you would need to relearn how to do things technical things especially change so fast, I already complain it was easier 10 years ago - what about 10 centuriesconfused smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred JustJim - It must be boring after a few centuries. At least that is what all the vampire novels say. Just think...

Lorraine, I wish I had the answer to so many questions, including the one you posed. <s> Who knows what it would be like? We are also gauging what we could experience based on what we know and have seen. Who is to say there aren't infinite dimensions, with infinite possibilities to experience. Then again, we might just be stuck on a cloud, invisible learning to play a harp.

(Lastat still had a good time..<s>)

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred He did but he also had many problems with it. Remember he was always reading. I miss that series of books.

I've read the series a few times but I think it was good she brought it to a close. I would have hated to see the quality go down and the story lines get to far out there.

One thing I think it brought out, was that man, and the immortals were both looking for the same answers. What was their purpose and what else was there. Both were searching for answers and nobody had them.

Will, I think you could expand your thoughts about God and His abilities. I don't think everything will be the same in Heaven as it is here. Trying to second guess what Heaven will be like could short change your eternity.

There's a book you might find interesting -
A Place Called Heaven: 10 Surprising Truths about Your Eternal Home Hardcover – September 5, 2017
by Dr. Robert Jeffress (Author)

I'm not saying he's got everything right or that I agree with everything Jeffress says in the book - I'm just saying, it might exercise your brain to think a little bigger about God and Heaven.

Budwicks avatar Budwick It's this: 0Reply

Well, I figure the negligible amount of people who choose to freeze their bodies at great expense, are hoping for some kind of immortality here on this earth.
I imagined eternity when I was 8 or 9 years old, and it terrified me. I have not allowed my mind to go there since. I have also pondered what heaven might be like, and I imagine it as just the essence of who we are being there, surrounded by love in a way not experienced during our mortal lives.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Forever is a long long long long time. +7Reply
@Piper2 Well, I figure the negligible amount of people who choose to freeze their bodies at great expense, are hoping for...

I thought I was the only one! When I was about the same age the thought of eternity terrified me too. In hindsight I might have had a panic attack. Anyway, I avoided that thought like the plague.

@PhilboydStudge I thought I was the only one! When I was about the same age the thought of eternity terrified me too. In...

I thought I was the only one too, since no one else I've mentioned it too has understood my terror of feeling it.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Forever is a long long long long time. +3Reply
@Will_Janitor I wouldn't call it a fear for myself, but I seriously can not comprehend forever. :)

Good idea. I wouldn't want to again, either. I very seriously comprehended it...

They have nothing in common apart from the presumption that heaven is eternal, so would be immortality.

I don't blame people for wanting to go to heaven. Life here, is hell enough.

@dru18 I don't blame people for wanting to go to heaven. Life here, is hell enough.

I have a very unhappy life, but can't undersyand why people want to be in heaven, nothing to do there that is fun. At least I never heard of heaven as being a fun place. bye smilie

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I have a very unhappy life, but can't undersyand why people want to be in heaven, nothing to do there that is fun...

I think you missed the point.

Let me go back to the days of slavery when every slave couldn't wait to get to heaven.

You either believe, or you don't.

I don't want to live on this earth forever, but looking forward to spending eternity in heaven....

Heaven is immortality, yes. But it's also perfection. It's love, peace, harmony. No illness, war, aging, abuse, rape, sexism, racism, murder, no decay, no pollution... eternal newness and perfection in all ways. That's different than only living forever. What if you lived forever as an amputee? Blind? Deaf? Cancer riddled? No thank you.

Trishs avatar Trish It's this: +4Reply

Going to heaven is knowing your soul IS immortal, but to become immortal would mean being stuck here forever on earth without the chance of crossing over or your soul growing.

Jaxxis avatar Jaxxi It's this: +4Reply

The biggest question about going to heaven after living life the way I have, has always been, "Will I know anyone there?"

I’d rather pass on when my time comes than postpone death and suffer.

Mashas avatar Masha It's this: +3Reply

Immortality wouldn't include death... going to heaven would.

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne It's this: +2Reply
@2695536

Are you sure? I was looking forward to a cigar bar with Johnny Walker Blue chasers. 😅

@2695536

I don't think there is any fun in heaven so why want to go there??what smilie

I agree with Jim. And, I'm a little surprised at your simplistic view of Heaven Will.

I think God is interested in work, effort, doing something well enough to glorify God. God spent the first six days working hard to create the Universe. Worked so hard that even He rested on the seventh day.

My point is, I don't think that we'll spend all our time playing harps and worshiping. I'm sure Heaven has it's share of harpists, and they enjoy it. And, I'm sure there will be time spent worshiping. But, what do you like to do? What activity brings you joy? Somehow, someway I'm betting that you will be able to enjoy that activity and be better than you ever dreamed of being and the result will glorify God.

@Budwick I agree with Jim. And, I'm a little surprised at your simplistic view of Heaven Will. I think God is interested...

It's hard to put all of my thoughts in writing to get a point across, but I understand what you're saying. I guess what I am saying is, everything in our lives is based on a 0-100 year time frame. The older you get the shorter that time frame seems to be. Then all of a sudden you go to the forever time frame. The most fun and enjoyable things I have experienced in my life wouldn't be all that cool 10,000 years later let alone 1,000,000 years and still going. Forever is a long time. :)

@Will_Janitor It's hard to put all of my thoughts in writing to get a point across, but I understand what you're saying. I guess...

I wrote another response with a book reference. Seriously, it's worth a look. I totally understand your concern. But it's an Earthly concern, think bigger!